hulika

Author Topic: Reviews on Korg D32XD?  (Read 2511 times)

Offline alvinilano

• Veteran Member
Reviews on Korg D32XD?
« on: June 29, 2010, 05:15:51 PM »
Hi my friend po is selling this unit to me at very cheap price..any actual reviews po on this machine? thanks
“Watch out for the average--they're usually hiding something big.”

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Reviews on Korg D32XD?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 06:25:07 PM »

Offline alvinilano

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 06:28:23 PM »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 09:41:37 AM »
Well, these recorders are ok standalone but will not hold a candle to computer based DAWs. Look at the VS series from Roland.

The fx might sound dated by now. My biggest concern is with the hardware; spares availability and sourcing may be a problem. I'm sure the internal drive is IDE but the machine's "bios" may have difficulty accepting current drives above a certain size (like greater than 500 Gb).

These modular recorders were great for demos, and you could probably record some sessions on them when a DAW is unavailable. At least you can export wavs of the tracks to a computer for further editing when needed.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline alvinilano

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 03:49:35 PM »
Well, these recorders are ok standalone but will not hold a candle to computer based DAWs. Look at the VS series from Roland.
The fx might sound dated by now. My biggest concern is with the hardware; spares availability and sourcing may be a problem. I'm sure the internal drive is IDE but the machine's "bios" may have difficulty accepting current drives above a certain size (like greater than 500 Gb).

Thanks sir, 120GB lang ang limit nya based sa mga research ko, most ng mga added features are optional and mahirap makakita even sa ebay, but still i never encountered any negative reviews about this product, thanks for the info sir Kit!

Offline alvincflorentino

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 12:55:40 PM »
I have a Korg D1600 MkII which I bought used on ebay last year. It's a great machine--back in the day. It was a standout when it first came out but that was before the advent of the hi-tech computer-based DAW. But let me qualify my statements. It was a great machine back in the day but it doesn't mean it can't make spanking clean and great recordings even today. I believe our confidence in all things software is a sign of over-reliance on these systems. (Imagine what you'd do when that dreaded Blus Screen Of Death shows up?). The main selling point of those all-in-a box recorders was just that: it's an all-in-the-box recording solution for anyone. I mean anyone cuz although it requires a certain learning curve before you can get something out of it (doesn't everything?), it's not hard to eventually master as long as you're serious and put some time in learning it's ins and outs. It's got a lot of effects, not all of them useful, but hey! most of them are great. The box you're considering is even more complicated but then again, I'm sure that you'll get a kick out of it once you master it and more importantly, even though its software may eventually become outdated, I'd bet you will still enjoy the unit for years to come.  The hard drive is definitely IDE and in my opinion 120 or 160GB is HUGE! C'mon! You can replace it if you run out of space, for crying out loud! It records wav files and transfers via USB aside from its ability to burn CDs. Cool!

If you want to see a short video of my unit, go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL_Nhca1Izc. It's accompanied by the onboard demo recording made on the unit

My last take is, if it's not TOO expensive, and if it satisfies your needs (as opposed to something you just want), then go for it.
Korg Kronos, Korg PolySix, Roland Juno-106/SH-101; Fender '57 strat/'52 tele, Gibson LP SL; Korg D16XD, dbx 266XL, Mackie 1402 VLZ, Roland UA-700 interface, Audio Technica AT-4033SE, Rode NT1-A, Studio Projects B1/B3;  Yamaha NS-10M, Alesis M1 Active MkII

Offline alvinilano

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 02:42:16 PM »
Thanks sir alvin, tokayo! mas nagustuhan ko to compared sa VS ng roland, na naka zip, i'l try to explore this wonderful machine, and church recordings lang naman ang gagawin ko, so i think ok ito for me, thanks po!

Offline alvincflorentino

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 03:00:09 PM »
Thanks sir alvin, tokayo! mas nagustuhan ko to compared sa VS ng roland, na naka zip, i'l try to explore this wonderful machine, and church recordings lang naman ang gagawin ko, so i think ok ito for me, thanks po!

You're welcome! I was also looking at the VS series before I stumbled upon this Korg of mine. But what really caught my eye was the Yamaha AW1600. Check out the reviews; it's a great machine and I believe it's better than my D1600 MkII, but because it was more expensive (I'm not surprised!), eto na lang kinuha ko. I use it only for home recording so I didn't think I needed to spend too much. Besides, hardware availability issues aside, I'm very happy. (Not that I've needed to have anything repaired, thank God!) How many tracks did you plan to record at one time? Do you need phantom power on all mics?
Korg Kronos, Korg PolySix, Roland Juno-106/SH-101; Fender '57 strat/'52 tele, Gibson LP SL; Korg D16XD, dbx 266XL, Mackie 1402 VLZ, Roland UA-700 interface, Audio Technica AT-4033SE, Rode NT1-A, Studio Projects B1/B3;  Yamaha NS-10M, Alesis M1 Active MkII

Offline alvinilano

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 03:26:08 PM »
individual tracking lang sir, phantom for 1 condenser pag vocal then 2 pag overhead, newbie lang po ako sa recording, so i took this machine because i wanted to have more inputs as compared sa mga nglalabasan na audio interface ngayon, tried several of them, but di ko po gusto talaga sound quality, yung friend ko na nagbenta nito sa kin nadinig ko yung ginawa nyang recordings using this unit, pro na pro ang quality, kaya kinuha ko na po kilala ko naman ang may ari..ganda ng demo ng unit mo sir

Offline alvincflorentino

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 04:28:53 PM »
Thanks pero mas maganda yung sayo! Ha! Since mas malaki machine mo, it may demand a higher learning curve but I'm sure you'll be very happy (pati na yung congregation!). Would you mind saying magkano mo nabili? Pwede din PM kung ayaw mo ilakas. Hehe