hulika

Author Topic: another newbie question....  (Read 1486 times)

Offline leech

• Philmusicus Addictus
another newbie question....
« on: July 05, 2006, 01:34:46 PM »
i already have a presonus firepod and it is bundled with cubase LE with 48 tracks.. my question is....

1. if i already used the 8 mic/line inputs and 1-8 tracks on the software, and i want to add some more guitars and vocals.... can i still use the 8 mic/line inputs that i used for 1-8 again and assign it to tracks 9-16 in the cubase? or do i still need to add another firepod to compensate another 8 inputs?

2. is m-audio compatible with presonus? can i link a delta 1010 with the firepod?

hehe, pardon the ignorance.... im just a newbie.. :D

thanks! :D
...the strong take from the weak...but the wise take from the strong...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: another newbie question....
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 02:19:41 PM »
Quote from: leech
1. if i already used the 8 mic/line inputs and 1-8 tracks on the software, and i want to add some more guitars and vocals.... can i still use the 8 mic/line inputs that i used for 1-8 again and assign it to tracks 9-16 in the cubase? or do i still need to add another firepod to compensate another 8 inputs?

Just create the new tracks in Cubase and assign their inputs to the same 1-8 inputs on the firepod. That's the beauty of computer recording, you can keep on adding track after track to the limits of your software or hardware. You don't need 24 inputs to record 24 tracks, just 're-use' the same inputs over and over.

Quote from: leech

2. is m-audio compatible with presonus? can i link a delta 1010 with the firepod?

In what sense do you mean compatible. Since Cubase uses asio, you can only use one asio device at a time. Some soundcard manufacturers develop drivers that allow you to use multiple instances of their brand of soundcards. However, you cannot 'spread' asio driver usage over different brands of cards.

With WDM-driven applications, such as Sonar, you can use different brand cards simultaneously but the subtle differences with their internal clocks will cause drift over time. If synchronization is important to you, this will be a huge problem. You can 'freewheel' it but if you use loops and pattern-based music spread across 2 (or more) cards, be prepared to run into sync issues.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline leech

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 07:02:27 PM »
Just create the new tracks in Cubase and assign their inputs to the same 1-8 inputs on the firepod. That's the beauty of computer recording, you can keep on adding track after track to the limits of your software or hardware. You don't need 24 inputs to record 24 tracks, just 're-use' the same inputs over and over.

NICE!! so that means i dont need to get another interface.... unless i want to have a live recording right?  what do you guys usually do, record the drum and bass parts first? tips naman! :D
...the strong take from the weak...but the wise take from the strong...

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 02:45:54 PM »
sa experience ko.. we start with a click track..then guitar o piano para me concept yung tutugtog ( musicians).. bass and drums para TIGHT yung sound.. then lead and keyboard sounds, last yung singer
ps
pwede ding alisin yung click kung mahusay yung drummer ( depends kung me metronome siya sa utak). saka it depends sa song. sa jazz minsan ayaw ng drummer ng click to get that groove o laid back feel. ayaw nila na restricted yung playing nila.
pwede ding sabay yung guitar, bass at drums kung kaya ng gear mo.  8)
Music is art in sound...