hulika

Author Topic: Anyone who could recommend me an acoustic guitar Brand/model??  (Read 1416 times)

Offline denish_cookies

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Anyone who could recommend me an acoustic guitar Brand/model??
« on: September 04, 2010, 04:53:27 PM »
Hi, anyone who could recommend me an acoustic guitar preferably for fingerstyle play and alternative sound types. I'm really having a hard time in choosing cuz' there are a lot of brands out there ranging from yamaha, ibanez, takamine, fender, and etc. Anyway, i'm just an intermediate guitarist so i'm not really spending too much on a guitar such as Taylor and the likes of it. So, maybe you experienced acoustic guitar masters can recommend me an acoustic guitar that is worth the money, sound, and built. thanks =)

Offline Silaw

• Veteran Member
Re: Anyone who could recommend me an acoustic guitar Brand/model??
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 06:41:48 PM »
takamines, especially the ones available here, are good, entry-level guitars. i am getting good mileage out of my eg340c. naturally bright. i guess the only thing i have with it is that it's not as loud as i would have wanted when unamplified.

they say the ibanez electric-acoustics have some electronics issues which are surprisingly common (you can backread some threads here, people are saying stuff about that too).
Could I have been anyone other than me?
Could I have been anyone?

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 06:44:32 PM »
takamines, especially the ones available here, are good, entry-level guitars. i am getting good mileage out of my eg340c. naturally bright. i guess the only thing i have with it is that it's not as loud as i would have wanted when unamplified.

they say the ibanez electric-acoustics have some electronics issues which are surprisingly common (you can backread some threads here, people are saying stuff about that too).

true about the Ibanez.. i have one and ended up adding a passive soundhole pickup..

another option would be some Greg Bennett acoustic-electrics.. they go for more or less 10k and are said to have solid tops, plus, they're loaded with Fishman electronics, if i'm not mistaken.. i've tried one before and they sound fine for the price.. i'd rather buy that instead of the Ibanez i have right now, if only they came out sooner.. anyway, those Greggies are worth checking out.. :-)

Offline denish_cookies

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 07:18:39 PM »
DO you guys recommend yamaha's apx500 acoustic-electric guitar and the vintage FG series as well?

Offline cumbersome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 12:01:19 AM »
I've been using an APX for almost 10 years, half those years I was gigging with it quite extensively.Very dependable guitar, and sounds great for a something made out of laminates. Even the Indonesian APX-500 sounds alright, recently got one for my dad. The Ibanez Artwood series are great guitars, too, though some may have spotty build, and the electronics are meh. Check out the Seagulls, highly underrated guitars IMO, though the cedar top maybe a tad too soft and prone to damage. Epiphone has some value-for-money guitars in their entry-level lineup, like the EJ200 and the Texan- catch is, getting them here is a bit tricky. What exactly are you looking for? Full acoustic or electric-acoustic? Wood combinations? Bright or mellow, bassy or trebly? What's the budget? These will narrow down your choices.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 11:05:23 AM »
They always have Seagulls on sale at Yupangco. A few people here don't like them, but once broken in, I really think they're really good.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline somil

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 11:58:39 AM »
i recommend Fender, quality, tone and durability :-D

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 12:15:42 PM »
Yamaha FG series
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline denish_cookies

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 04:05:28 PM »
Hi guys, my budget is around P5-10K... i'm more of a mellow type guitarist and a little bit of john mayer, MYMP, Paolo Santos type songs too. I prefer full acoustic... no need for a pick-up/amp/acoustic electric though I want to try one soon. When it comes to wood assemblies, I don't really care much... as long as swabe at clarity talaga yun tunog =) Mostly, parang naririnig ko kasi spruce at rosswood lagi. May iba pa bang assembly wood lines dyan? By the way, paano po ba malalaman if it's laminated or solid top? Malalaman ba yan sa pagkapa ng body? any other suggestions? thanks guys...

Offline cumbersome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 05:24:39 PM »
Try the Ibanez Artwood mahogany-cedar, typically mellower than the spruce-mahogany or spruce-rosewood. The ones that don't have electronics should be around 12-14k. Same for Seagulls in Yupangco. You can try looking at the edges of the soundhole to see if it's painted or has layers- those are usually laminates. JB has Takamine dreadnoughts for around 11k- without electronics, but with a solid spruce top. Go around the music stores in the metro and try stuff out. :)

Offline dark_7

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 06:09:28 PM »
and your budget is?
..every artist was first an amateur..

Offline inot1105

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 06:43:36 PM »
dude...

save up for an acoustic/electric, you would need it, eventually.

i myself am scouting for a good one..here are my choices-comments for sharing...

ovation iDea
- only from online reviews, looks affordable with built-in pre-amp, mp3 recorder as well, good for inspirational composing moments.

yamaha APX-500
- only seen in actuality, haven't tried it coz it's quite thin, i might want a more fuller sounding acoustic. but the looks are great, electronics, im not sure. also, a little expensive, above 15kPhp (i think)

fender CD-60CE
- this! i tried just yesterday, great sound (unplugged), but haven't tried plugging-in, medyo nahiya ako sa sales lady, daming pinakitang extra guitars sa'kin e, napagod na ata. hehehe.
btt...sounds great, nice neck feel, thick solid spruce & mahogany body, pre-amp comes with tuner also (fender generic, ft3 ata)

greg benett: rio grande & remington
- seen from website pa lang, i've yet to try it out, rio & rem are in my taste, plus the fishman electronics is a big plus... i will defenitely check it out

now...
my choices are between the fender & the gb.

just my thoughts...

br & God bless
1 Corinthians 3:19
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their own craftiness”;

Offline Charvylle

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 08:38:19 PM »
if your looking for a guitar for a set or stage performances...then id recommend APPLAUSE BY OVATION..you could try one at JB music in MOA...we got ours for not more than 12k if i remember..the tone is warm and really crisp...very comfortable as well, if you don't know what im on about you dont have to take my word for it though..just go out and try one.. :-D...

the down side is....[maybe its just me though] but i couldn't get to use it comfortably when its strapped and im standing..cause the body at the back isn't flat..its curved..so it tends to face kind of upwards...maybe im just more prone to playing electric guitar..but excellent guitar for the price!...i really recommend it!...
Van Halen - Erruption cover
Van Halen - Panama cover
Van Halen - Beat It cover

Offline denish_cookies

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 10:01:16 PM »
Thanks mga acoustic masters, canvass muna ako... salamat sa mga suggestions. Hopefully, makakuha ako ng guitar na hindi ako magsisisi hehehe =) God Bless....

Offline r/min

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 01:50:15 AM »
 :-D bro punta ka lazer, try mo yung mga GREGG benett OM series nila..9-11k lang Cedar solid top..ganyan gamit ko ngyn..
"in life love and work [gooey brown stuff] happens....but always rememeber..If it doesnt kill you,it'll make you stronger..."

Offline ninmei

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 07:01:13 AM »
true about the Ibanez.. i have one and ended up adding a passive soundhole pickup..

another option would be some Greg Bennett acoustic-electrics.. they go for more or less 10k and are said to have solid tops, plus, they're loaded with Fishman electronics, if i'm not mistaken.. i've tried one before and they sound fine for the price.. i'd rather buy that instead of the Ibanez i have right now, if only they came out sooner.. anyway, those Greggies are worth checking out.. :-)

+1

Add pa ako sa statement ni chino, this is a good buy since it has a built-in tuner na rin at there are 3 choices kung bibili ka ng acoustic guitar ng greggies na are offered today ng Lazer.
And indeed its a solid top guitar. Cheapest solid top guitar ive ever purchased.

One of the reason to buy one.

:D