hulika

Author Topic: laptop specs for an audio enthusiast  (Read 1236 times)

Offline sikyo

• Veteran Member
laptop specs for an audio enthusiast
« on: November 28, 2010, 12:07:16 AM »
if I'm buying a new laptop very soon, what minimum features do I have to look for (like soundcard specs, etc.)? application is music playback into a sound system, basic (but descent) acoustic recording. low budget only (my apologies) TIA po 
make sound matter
"Praise our God, all peoples, let the sound of His praise be heard..." - Psalm 66:8a (NIV)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: laptop specs for an audio enthusiast
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 11:02:34 AM »
How low is your budget? Do yourself a favor and stay away from any netbook.

You can get by with most of the core2duo systems, but I'm preferring the Core i3/5/7 series because of their lower power usage compared to core2duos. As for souncard, always budget for an external usb or firewire option, then make sure the laptop supports it. Most laptops now are ditching firewire in favor of usb so you might have your work cut out for you.

Btw, if music playback is a primary consideration, I think an Ipod or any mp3 player would be a much better choice. Less hassle to setup. Maybe even one of those chinese ipads with a suitable sized SD card would be ok if screen display is important for you.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline sikyo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 05:10:19 PM »
How low is your budget? Do yourself a favor and stay away from any netbook.

You can get by with most of the core2duo systems, but I'm preferring the Core i3/5/7 series because of their lower power usage compared to core2duos. As for souncard, always budget for an external usb or firewire option, then make sure the laptop supports it. Most laptops now are ditching firewire in favor of usb so you might have your work cut out for you.

Btw, if music playback is a primary consideration, I think an Ipod or any mp3 player would be a much better choice. Less hassle to setup. Maybe even one of those chinese ipads with a suitable sized SD card would be ok if screen display is important for you.

thanks, sir Kit. are there USB 3.0 laptops that are reasonably priced these days? would you recommend that? the laptop would be a permanent fixture in our sound system as well, that's why i'm shooting for flexibility also. maraming salamat po uli  :-) 
make sound matter
"Praise our God, all peoples, let the sound of His praise be heard..." - Psalm 66:8a (NIV)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 10:28:13 PM »
To be honest, I would rather you have a separate playback system for music playback. Like I said earlier, ipods and other mp3 players are almost foolproof, and less of hassle to set up. All you need is to connect them to the tape input of your mixer and you're done. Laptops are a bit worrisome for me because their power supply bricks have a nasty tendency to be noisy, considering we don't use properly grounded systems here. And even then, laptop psu's typically use 2-prong plugs instead of grounded 3-prong systems, plus the power bricks are usually switching power supplies which have a nasty habit of adding electrical noise to your audio.

Then you have to add a proper sound interface for the laptop during recording because the built-in sound just won't do, unless you're just intent on making demos. USB3 is a nice option, but there aren't any USB3 interfaces in the market just yet... maybe next year(s) when the standard is adopted by soundcard manufacturers.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline sikyo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 01:00:25 AM »
To be honest, I would rather you have a separate playback system for music playback. Like I said earlier, ipods and other mp3 players are almost foolproof, and less of hassle to set up. All you need is to connect them to the tape input of your mixer and you're done. Laptops are a bit worrisome for me because their power supply bricks have a nasty tendency to be noisy, considering we don't use properly grounded systems here. And even then, laptop psu's typically use 2-prong plugs instead of grounded 3-prong systems, plus the power bricks are usually switching power supplies which have a nasty habit of adding electrical noise to your audio.

Then you have to add a proper sound interface for the laptop during recording because the built-in sound just won't do, unless you're just intent on making demos. USB3 is a nice option, but there aren't any USB3 interfaces in the market just yet... maybe next year(s) when the standard is adopted by soundcard manufacturers.

i guess i have to go back to mp3 players again. accidentally plugged 1 into a phantom-powered board's mic input (i know, i know  :-D) good thing it's 1 of those cheapos from CD-R King (decent-sounding, though) that's why i'm using the laptop. just have to bear with file conversion na lang. thanks again, sir.
make sound matter

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 09:34:45 AM »
just have to bear with file conversion na lang. thanks again, sir.

File conversion? Just look up LAME and it's Razorlame GUI. Been almost foolproof for me, does batch mp3 <> wav conversions, plus it doesn't need any Fraunhofer licensing.