hulika

Author Topic: mixer amp hissing?  (Read 1246 times)

Offline vinokulafu

mixer amp hissing?
« on: August 09, 2006, 12:53:48 PM »
mga bro normal lang ba ung hissing sa mixer amp?
pano ba matatangal un?

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
mixer amp hissing?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 01:09:59 PM »
napansin ko rin na ma-hiss yung mixer pre's ko (that's why i dont use them for recording).  even my ART tube pre has audible hiss.  inherent ata yan sa mga lower-priced pre's  because of the cheaper components used.  i have a couple of high-end preamps that are TRULY extremely quiet.  

u can remove the hiss by cutting some 16-20 khz thru the use of an eq, but run the risk of taking out the sheen from your signal.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
mixer amp hissing?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 02:27:08 PM »
Practically any amp or preamp will hiss if you don't give it a hot enough signal prior to entering the channel strip or preamp input. Raising the gain on your mixer only increases the hiss even more and the mixer's circuits add their own hiss to the mix. The secret is to let the sending unit, be it a musical instrument or other audio signal, have a high enough level that you don't have to adjust the trim knob or channel fader. In fact, it is better to bring the levels down rather than up. This is partially a principle of gain staging. Of course, you must also avoid distortion with too much level input. The use of balanced cables, as well as +4 dB levels, also help with proper levels and hiss reduction, but if you are running a mix of -10 dBV and +4 dBu equipment, it's better to choose one standard and use line level converters. Here's an article from Electronic Musician on how to DIY your own line level converter.

Hazel, I also noticed the hiss with my Studio V3. I know there are some mods to make it better, specifically replacing the stock tube and some opamps. But using the gain staging principles also helps.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
mixer amp hissing?
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 02:40:17 PM »
thanks for the info about gain staging Kit.  that's correct.  i kinda assumed vino had that down pat :) i do have difficulty recording some vocalists who sing very very softly.  i find myself having to raise the gain level on my pre.  so the simple solution would be to ask them to sing a little louder if it's ever possible.

oh btw, i have that DIY project in one of my back issues of EM, with schematics and photos.  will look for it and scan the pix soon.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
mixer amp hissing?
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 02:53:19 PM »
Yeah. I have the same issue somewhere in this mess that I call my project studio. I always did like the DIY articles you can find in EM and Recording magazine, as well.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire