hulika

Author Topic: Sanding your drumsticks  (Read 1983 times)

Offline brokensticks

Sanding your drumsticks
« on: January 04, 2011, 12:14:07 PM »
Hi, i was just wondering if any of you tried sanding your sticks?

Previously i had the habit of sanding the shaft of the sticks when it starts to chip off during performance just for aesthetic reasons.
Recently, i bought coated sticks, I just wont mention the brand and make. Long and short after some performance, the coating naturally came off on the shaft/shoulder area. It doesn't look good, so i sanded it. However due to the coating, i have had some problems of slippage while playing so i decided to sand the whole stick! The verdict? it felt great! I know Vater's Nude Series is like this, no lacquer finish. And since i havent seen Nude Series in TMS or Lazer, i figured this would be a good test run on the performance of the Nude.
it felt like having powdered hands while playing. :)

any thoughts?

i sanded everything including the logos :D

Offline brokensticks

Re: Sanding your drumsticks
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 05:02:34 PM »
tol depende kasi sa liha mo eh, ibat ibang klase ang liha .. punta ka ng ace hardware meron silang ibat ibat klaseng liha from "Fine - to Hard" .. Fine sandpapers may micro grains , tapos ung Hard sandpapers may malalaking grains yung iba parang rocksalt sa laki na kapag niliha mo halata ang gasgas.. which is good for gripping.

try mo gamitin yung liha na sakto lang .. basta makikita mong gasgas nya kakapit sa balat mo pero cyempre without you having any injuries. nakakita nakasi ako dati ng ganito.. mga style ng ibang drummers na "pasmado".
dko pa na try ito kasi hindi naman ako pasmado. explore mo lang.  :-)

i sanded the coating with the coarse one first (120) then fiinished with the finer sandpaper (1000).
pag coarse gamitin mo sure sugat ka nyan. you have to finish with the finer sandpaper.
 hindi naman ako pasmado. pero pag aircon halimbawa ang venue, tas pumunta ka ng stage na mainit (the lights). di maiiwasan e. anyhow, just worth a try.  :-)

Offline vhinming

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Sanding your drumsticks
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 06:14:46 PM »
sa gripping , try sanding the stick by wrapping the stick with the sand paper and twist it till you achieve the desired roughness :D

or simply but a grip to sir vinci
Order Here
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 06:16:19 PM by vhinming »
Only One Life so Soon it will Pass,Only Whats Done For Christ Will Last.

Drum Items? :wink: Click Here!