hulika

Author Topic: What's the proper way to transport a heavy tube amp?  (Read 1334 times)

Offline pao2pao16

• Philmusicus Addictus
What's the proper way to transport a heavy tube amp?
« on: February 20, 2011, 10:36:25 PM »
What's the proper way to transport a tube amp? Using honda city. Won't fit standing up in the trunk..

Should it be facing down or facing up?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 10:37:40 PM by pao2pao16 »

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
Re: What's the proper way to transport a heavy tube amp?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 10:45:39 PM »
i had the same problem when using a car before, anyway what i did was put foam(from rack mount servers),so that it acts as shock absorbers while the amp is face up,...

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 10:47:30 PM »
Pao, how bout removing the tubes first then placing them back pag naka-arrive ka na sa destination? Would that be feasible? Para at least yung tubes na maselan ay nasa iyo which you can store at a safer place or compartment.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 10:51:18 PM »
also i know someone that put his combo amp upside down in the back seat(since his tubes dont have those things that hold the tubes tip),

Offline brown

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 11:09:42 PM »
Pao, how bout removing the tubes first then placing them back pag naka-arrive ka na sa destination? Would that be feasible? Para at least yung tubes na maselan ay nasa iyo which you can store at a safer place or compartment.

this would work.
but kind hassle pa for the extra work, but this is safe.

If you dont have passenger/s at the back seat, much better to place it there na lang.
avoid placing it on its back.
also, if you have a bag or a hardcase for the amp, dont put the amp inside and dont travel yet if it's still hot after using it.

he who hesitates, masterb@#$!

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 11:26:41 PM »
Just lay it down. Nothing to worry about. Just treat it like an amp head
"If you want to play like the big boys, you've got to play what the big boys play"

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 11:27:26 PM »
No need t remove the tubes. Just place it face up. It will be fine. Most of these amps are built for the road anyway. Just dont bang it around.

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 11:29:08 PM »
No need t remove the tubes. Just place it face up. It will be fine. Most of these amps are built for the road anyway. Just dont bang it around.
my thoughts exactly
"If you want to play like the big boys, you've got to play what the big boys play"

Offline pao2pao16

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 11:29:42 PM »
i had the same problem when using a car before, anyway what i did was put foam(from rack mount servers),so that it acts as shock absorbers while the amp is face up,...

Thanks bry. Others suggest that put a blanket. Might consider foam to.

I've read the risk of leaving oil on the glass. And I also don't have the place where to put 6 tubes. Hassle din during setup pati after performance. But it is safer and will consider this. Will just figure out how to this this properly

this would work.
but kind hassle pa for the extra work, but this is safe.

If you dont have passenger/s at the back seat, much better to place it there na lang.
also, if you have a bag or a hardcase for the amp, dont put the amp inside and dont travel yet if it's still hot after using it.

I am not planning on getting a bag or hardcase for it. Hassle din e. Space eater and weight gainer

Offline pao2pao16

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 11:33:25 PM »

Thought of that also. Thanks.

Offline deathbyexposure

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 01:07:44 PM »
Very informative thread!

Been wanting to start a thread like this before because I'm having the dilemma of buying a tube amp because of its transportation and how I/we should do it properly. Thanks TS!

Btw, are we talking about tube amp combos or heads only?

How about cabs? Should we place them face down or up in the trunk?

Please enlighten us, masters! :) TIA!
How can you tell a person whether the band he or she listens to is RIGHT or WRONG?

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 01:33:43 PM »
The proper way is a padded amp road case.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 01:59:04 PM »

i go with this suggestion.  but yeah i agree that tube amps are meant for gigging musicians - meaning they are built for the road.  :-)
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 02:06:35 PM »
been doing this for years, kaya lang madalas adventure ang sasakyan ko eh :lol:

incidentally I also use a honda city from time to time, what they said, I lay the amp down facing up sa trunk. Never had any issues (broken tubes etc.) at all. Pero everytime I hit a bump or hump, tumutunog yung spring reverb, medyo nakaka-praning. :lol:

I've brought tube amp heads, small combos, 2X12's etc. No problems at all. Mas problema ko pa yung pag bitbit kasi ang bigat. :lol: