hulika

Author Topic: Under-rated, boteek OD killer: Boss OD3 (Whats under the hood?)  (Read 6763 times)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Under-rated, boteek OD killer: Boss OD3 (Whats under the hood?)
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 01:48:39 AM »
Truth be told, i have a special place in my heart for the OD2r. I think it was the first Boss pedal I bought with my own money, brand new. It was the only pedal I had for a long while.  Before that I used a DIY OD pedal made by a friend that cost only 200 PhP.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 03:03:00 AM by deltaslim »

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 01:52:03 AM »
with the od2-r...I like this! It's very dynamic. It responds to the way you attack your strings.

japan made - it is wet, excellent, except for the scrawny volume range..aside from that, it was almost perfect for me. dirty wet.

taiwan made - manipis, only a notch louder than the MIJ, but definitely scrawny to me ears

od3 - very loud, transparent..meatier than the od2 MIJ because of its flat eq. will pair excellently with a ds1.

all IMHO... (playing safe... :lol:)

haha not to force you in choosing a side,

although i like the OD2 or the OD2-r, what pisses me off sometimes is the volume ill spend tweaking so that not of one of the other pedals is louder than the od-2, im really looking forward for a mod for this pedal and maybe re-house it in a smaller sized enclosure, because its still one of my faves out in the boss line..

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 10:37:27 AM »
Update:

I just got a Timmy v2 and A/B'd it with the OD3. Both are supposed to be in the same non-TS/no mid-hump/transparent/low gain family.

Surprise surprise - the OD3 held its own!  Sure, the Timmy was very versatile w/ its unique tone controls and selectable clipping circuit, but it had more gain than I expected!  At 12 oclock it has more gain than the OD3 dimed. It also sounds grittier.

Anyway, I tried setting it at same gain level and eq and found the OD3 can retain quack and twang just as well as the Timmy. Whoa! But setting the Timmy's bass and treble full CCW (no cut) revealed it's still more transparent. And the Timmy's wide range of gain and tone just makes it really special and worth it. The Timmy's clean boost seemed cleaner and louder too.

In any case, both are keepers, probably the 2 best clean/transparent ODs I've had.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 03:11:18 PM by deltaslim »

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 04:18:41 PM »
for zero hump OD, the OD3 is hard to beat.

the BD2 is pretty good too. pero that pedal is almost asking for a bit of midrange hump as it gets fizzy in the upper ranges of the gain knob.

the dano cool cat T-OD with bass and treble all the way up is good too.

Offline samishellacool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2010, 05:00:58 PM »
Very underrated pedal! Why go through all of those boutique pedals when the real thing is right in front of you. hehe. Well that was in my case, the OD tone that I wanted was provided by it. That's why I regretted selling mine. This is one reliable pedal indeed.  :-D

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2010, 10:31:50 AM »
hmmm im torn between the od-3 and od-2. medyo disappointed ako sa sd-1 eh. i was looking for a substitute for my old nobels odr-1...medyo kulang sa "dumi" ung sd-1 eh and it won't clean up via guitar volume knob.

does the od-3 have more gain than the sd-1? and can it do the guitar-volume-roll-off thing?
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2010, 12:42:07 PM »
my friend nasyo of istorya helped me mod by OD-2 to give it more volume, is to remove the resistor near the volume knob..which i did and im happy with the results, im searching through ebay for another OD-2 to compare the diff..

Offline musicjunkie

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2010, 07:32:15 PM »
for zero hump OD, the OD3 is hard to beat.

the BD2 is pretty good too. pero that pedal is almost asking for a bit of midrange hump as it gets fizzy in the upper ranges of the gain knob.

i am still thanking nats for the suggestion on the Dano T-OD. Love that thing for OD-ing tube amps...

Offline alvin_ching5786

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2011, 07:15:27 PM »
would a Visual Sound Open Road be a good alternative? I heard they have similarities

Offline jeshwey

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2011, 08:52:16 PM »
Naka OD-3 rin ako ngayon. Nag-iisa lang siyang dirt pedal ko. I can say that it definitely stands out on its own. The OD-3 replaced my Shredhead, para sakin mas transparent siya. My gain settings don't go beyond 10 o'clock, puro low gain lang talaga ako. I'm very much satisfied with the pedal. Ang ipang bboost ko lang sa OD ko ay EQ pedal lang. I paired-up my OD3 with a Boss DD3. Yun lang pedals ko lol, at nakuntento na ako hehe. The OD3 is the best standalone overdrive for me :)

Oo underrated nga yun pedal hehe.

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2011, 09:16:49 PM »
Naka OD-3 rin ako ngayon. Nag-iisa lang siyang dirt pedal ko. I can say that it definitely stands out on its own. The OD-3 replaced my Shredhead, para sakin mas transparent siya. My gain settings don't go beyond 10 o'clock, puro low gain lang talaga ako. I'm very much satisfied with the pedal. Ang ipang bboost ko lang sa OD ko ay EQ pedal lang. I paired-up my OD3 with a Boss DD3. Yun lang pedals ko lol, at nakuntento na ako hehe. The OD3 is the best standalone overdrive for me :)

Oo underrated nga yun pedal hehe.

gusto ko nga rin magkarron ulit ng boss pedal, para sa gig na 2-3 songs,
good for you bro, gusto ko din ng simpleng straight forward na setup   :lol:

Offline jeshwey

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2011, 09:32:19 PM »
gusto ko nga rin magkarron ulit ng boss pedal, para sa gig na 2-3 songs,
good for you bro, gusto ko din ng simpleng straight forward na setup   :lol:
:-D Hirap rin kasi pag dami pedals, nawawala yung bite nung tele ko hehe. I used to have the danelectro TOD, Distortion, and Delay. Tapos may Artec delay pa ako at Shredhead. Nag iba tunog ko haha. Kaya Binenta ko lahat, tapos yung boss od at dd nalang pinalit ko  :-)

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2011, 09:43:04 PM »
:-D Hirap rin kasi pag dami pedals, nawawala yung bite nung tele ko hehe. I used to have the danelectro TOD, Distortion, and Delay. Tapos may Artec delay pa ako at Shredhead. Nag iba tunog ko haha. Kaya Binenta ko lahat, tapos yung boss od at dd nalang pinalit ko  :-)

agree ako d'yan, sa ngayon mas gusto kong maramdaman yung amp na ginagamit ko, akin man o sa kung saan man,
pero hindi ko mapakawalan yung iba kasi hahanapin ko ulit at least nand'yan lang, main gear pa rin, pero pag mabilisan naghahanap talaga ako ng simpleng setup na magagamit ko ng maayos, hindi pa lang ako makadiskarte ngayon haha gagalit gf ko :lol:

Offline constipation

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2011, 10:10:49 PM »
Im selling my BOSS OD3 right now pero nung nabasa ko ito nagbago isip ko heheh hindi kona siya ibebenta thanks GUYS for reminding me :lol:

Offline jeshwey

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2011, 10:47:40 PM »
agree ako d'yan, sa ngayon mas gusto kong maramdaman yung amp na ginagamit ko, akin man o sa kung saan man,
pero hindi ko mapakawalan yung iba kasi hahanapin ko ulit at least nand'yan lang, main gear pa rin, pero pag mabilisan naghahanap talaga ako ng simpleng setup na magagamit ko ng maayos, hindi pa lang ako makadiskarte ngayon haha gagalit gf ko :lol:

Haha  :lol: Tama! Kung ano ang lang talaga yung kailangan. Sa panahon na masira OD3 ko, bibili ako uli haha. Next na dadating sa board ko, Pitchblack tuner  :-D

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2011, 07:22:50 AM »
Napaisip na naman ako magretract benta ng OD3 ko ah... :-)

Offline jeshwey

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2011, 11:54:09 AM »
Napaisip na naman ako magretract benta ng OD3 ko ah... :-)

don't sell it bro!  :lol: You'll regret it! haha

Ganyan rin mismo yung settings ko nung may TOD v1 pa ako. Loved that pedal  But then I sold it to buy the OD-3 

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2011, 09:02:02 PM »
I've always liked it.  Would be comfortable if I found myself with only my guitar, an OD3 and a Bandit.

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2011, 02:59:19 PM »
Joric, how would you compare the OD-3 to the FM mode of the FD-2?

I'd love to do a OD-3 vs. Open Road vs. OCDv4 shootout, but I just haven't found the time; nor do I trust my own ears solely...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 03:02:04 PM by vegetablejoe »

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2011, 06:03:24 PM »
Sa mga overdrive ng boss na nasubukan ko I found an attachment with the SD2. I had one years ago and would like to have one again. Still looking for a good 2nd hand deal.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline edgie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2011, 06:40:09 PM »
Definitely one of the better pedals ng boss. Ang hindi ko lang nagustuhan medyo narrow yung range ng tone control niya. It can go from bassy to shrill quite fast. At mas maganda siya sa humbuckers kesa single coils IIRC( 4 years since I had one). Hindi ko lang alam kung maiimprove siya ng mods like monte allums, etc.

I prefer it over the stock Maxon SD-1 which for me is only useable if you have the tone control totally rolled off. But I think it loses out to the humble Danelectro TOD-1 that I had in terms of feel and gain and tone range. Malamang kahit v2 lang nung TOD-1 mas magustuhan ko. Mas boxy yung tone and feel ng OD-3 kesa sa TOD. Binenta ko ang yung TOD kasi nakakainis yung placement ng knobs niya. Kung ginawa lang sana ng Danelectro na normal layout lang, hindi na kelangan  ire-house.

Offline constipation

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2011, 07:03:52 PM »
Nice thread mga kapatid..

Im watching this thread :-)