hulika

Author Topic: Auditioning for a Terrible Band  (Read 2187 times)

Offline IncX

Auditioning for a Terrible Band
« on: December 23, 2010, 01:37:25 PM »

so here's the scenario:

sumagot ka ng ad para sa "wanted bassist" ... di mo pa na meet ang banda pero may masamang feeling ka.

nung nagsimula ang audition tama nga mga hinala mo! ... the band sucks, they have no plan and a big lot of them couldnt play/sing right.

what are the signs? and share your stories :)

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Auditioning for a Terrible Band
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 04:03:25 PM »
i wanted to run. :wink:

im not a full pledge bassist but i could play better than their bassist. so when i did, he asked me 'bakit di ka mag-baista?'. i just smiled at him but what i really wanted to say was 'bakit ka baista!?'.  :-P

ung manager, todo bida. yung mga vocalist were crap. and i didnt wanna find myself singing with them.

good thing i bailed out as soon as i found a way out.
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

Offline Endshiftresign!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 12:48:02 AM »
here are a few signs i can think of...

- lack of communication.  nagtitinginan lang kayo after a song, with that "wtf have i gotten into" look on your face.  if there's laughter in between songs, it's forced and artificial.  this isn't really a telltale sign, as it may be due to the members having incorrect first impressions about the other, that's why i usually organize a drinking session or similar "bonding" session a week or so before, or immediately after a first rehearsal with a new guy, or new guys...
- nobody seems to be taking anything seriously.  i mean, it's okay to have fun during practice, but if you're just cracking wise and/or f**king up the practice material deliberately and/or playing random crap on your instrument without any intention of crafting a serious song, then that means trouble...
- lack of professionalism.  people showing up 30+ minutes late to practice (and worse, hindi nagpapaalam na malalate, or malapit lang ang bahay sa studio), people not replying to text messages even if you politely request a reply...these are just a few examples...

since i'm not the most talented musician on earth, i always ask prospective bandmates not to hold their expectations too high.  but in any case, if you don't like what you see when you get to audition for a band, or get invited to jam, a little honesty would be much appreciated.  don't go 1-2-3 and stop replying to texts.  don't make up phony excuses.  just let the band in question know, as nicely as possible, that your expectations weren't met and you'd like to try your luck elsewhere.   :-D  it always pays to be professional in your dealings with fellow musicians..."good karma", ika nga.  we once had a bassist who only lasted one practice with us, and he was honest enough to let us know he wanted to try other options.  now his present band is getting a lot of good breaks we could only dream about at this point...
Drummer -- The Myopics (on indefinite hiatus) / Sole proprietor, er...procrastinator -- Mad Tito Management

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 12:24:41 PM »
here are a few signs i can think of...

- lack of communication.  nagtitinginan lang kayo after a song, with that "wtf have i gotten into" look on your face.  if there's laughter in between songs, it's forced and artificial.  this isn't really a telltale sign, as it may be due to the members having incorrect first impressions about the other, that's why i usually organize a drinking session or similar "bonding" session a week or so before, or immediately after a first rehearsal with a new guy, or new guys...
- nobody seems to be taking anything seriously.  i mean, it's okay to have fun during practice, but if you're just cracking wise and/or f**king up the practice material deliberately and/or playing random crap on your instrument without any intention of crafting a serious song, then that means trouble...
- lack of professionalism.  people showing up 30+ minutes late to practice (and worse, hindi nagpapaalam na malalate, or malapit lang ang bahay sa studio), people not replying to text messages even if you politely request a reply...these are just a few examples...

since i'm not the most talented musician on earth, i always ask prospective bandmates not to hold their expectations too high.  but in any case, if you don't like what you see when you get to audition for a band, or get invited to jam, a little honesty would be much appreciated.  don't go 1-2-3 and stop replying to texts.  don't make up phony excuses.  just let the band in question know, as nicely as possible, that your expectations weren't met and you'd like to try your luck elsewhere.   :-D  it always pays to be professional in your dealings with fellow musicians..."good karma", ika nga.  we once had a bassist who only lasted one practice with us, and he was honest enough to let us know he wanted to try other options.  now his present band is getting a lot of good breaks we could only dream about at this point...

Sa case of pro musicians, messing around is definitely a no no in auditions unless nagkapalagayan na kayo ng loob. In auditions, always "put your cards on the table" in your most professional attitude. At least if you don't get the job, people will have nothing to say against you except, "he was not right for our group."

Most pros demands that when you come to audition, you should know all the songs they ask of you by heart. AND THEN SOME! Sadly, most bar bands are not like that anymore.
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline KASALANAN

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 05:47:16 PM »
so here's the scenario:

sumagot ka ng ad para sa "wanted bassist" ... di mo pa na meet ang banda pero may masamang feeling ka.

nung nagsimula ang audition tama nga mga hinala mo! ... the band sucks, they have no plan and a big lot of them couldnt play/sing right.

what are the signs? and share your stories :)

thats the reason why bands should start out as tropa or friends. mahirap pagnapasok ka sa isang problem na mahirap labasan :lol:
references:mrpentatonic,mavsweep,pepeman,guitarpoets, studiowan,shredmaestrobri,sereyor,darkflan,maniacally_cool,bentoinks, kurseth,caloi,alcohol,ryansatriani,rg570,jhule77,ARIS,freongang,jamesroy,brianlp,nimrodthebomber,gruthang,inigo,buls,tapslore,

Offline Endshiftresign!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 12:42:44 AM »
thats the reason why bands should start out as tropa or friends. mahirap pagnapasok ka sa isang problem na mahirap labasan :lol:

but what if you can't find any friends in your immediate circle who share your passion?

yun ang dahilan kung bakit late ako nagstart sa pagbabanda.  pagtungtong ko sa college, napunta ako sa block section na puro academics, extra-curriculars, mag wheels/car accessories, designer clothes at basketball ang hilig sa buhay.  (fortunately, i like basketball so that's 1 out of 5 instead of nothing i could relate with.   :lol: ) so instead of being in my first band at 15 or 16 as i had hoped, i had to wait till i was 17 or 18 before i got started...nung junior na ako sa college at irregular student pa...

but i do agree with you na mas okey kung magkatropa muna kayo.  things go easier that way kasi magkakilala na kayo, and conflict resolution becomes much easier.  (yun lang pag di naresolve ang conflict you won't just end up losing a bandmate or two, but losing a friend or two as well.)  as i mentioned, though, pag pure start-up band yung finoform mo, like in my case, a bonding session or two before the first jam always helps.   :-)
Drummer -- The Myopics (on indefinite hiatus) / Sole proprietor, er...procrastinator -- Mad Tito Management

Offline ARTificial

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 02:28:10 AM »

im not a full pledge bassist but i could play better than their bassist. so when i did, he asked me 'bakit di ka mag-baista?'. i just smiled at him but what i really wanted to say was 'bakit ka baista!?.  :-P

:lol:

Ang hirap kasi kapag dito lang magbubuo ng banda, tyambahan lang talaga, at dapat malinaw ang mga deals para wala ring sisihan na mangyari. tsaka dapat ang ma recruit mo e yung katulad mo magisip. :-D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 02:29:19 AM by ARTificial »
The Dream is FREE, But the HUSTLE is sold separately

MOVE your Ass!

Offline pedaldeaf3

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 05:08:57 AM »
:lol:

Ang hirap kasi kapag dito lang magbubuo ng banda, tyambahan lang talaga, at dapat malinaw ang mga deals para wala ring sisihan na mangyari. tsaka dapat ang ma recruit mo e yung katulad mo magisip. :-D

Got that right...
Kung di kayo conflict sa genre...
Sa pagtugtog na magkakagulo...
Iba parin talaga yung may "roots" ot "pinagsamahan"
Thanks po sa mga posts niyo highly informative...

I've never been in a serious band, usually puro "1 time event" lang...
Sali ng battle sa school gig lang dito, tugtug doon...
I've always wanted to play in a local bar somewhere...
Just never found the right people to come w/ me there...
God is the mighty "RAK" of my salvation "EN" he want's me to "ROL" forward & follow him...

Offline xelalien

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 07:36:27 PM »
napansin ko kadalasan sa mga terrible bands na ganyan e "chicks" and "fame" ang target kaya nagbanda. tssss sad but true. :-D

tapos yung manager akala mo teacher ng grade school kung disiplinahin yung banda. lolz :-D