hulika

Author Topic: When jazz musicians earn more from raket projects/bands  (Read 9983 times)

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: When jazz musicians earn more from raket projects/bands
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2010, 03:09:15 PM »
yeah guys...

Don't knock til you've tried it...

Mahirap ang buhay musikero--kahit saan parte ng mundo.....

Playing a song like "ocho-ocho" and "aray naku" are small sacrifices so that we'll be able to live the life we lead in a decent manner. Playing music is such a great experience, the life of a fulltime musician should't be taken lightly.
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline EST2TELE

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 07:00:05 PM »
tHIS IS a wonderful read and an eye opener for many.I have much respect for the seniores who make the rounds to make ends meet while get to play the stuff they really love on the side.They are such class acts!!!

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2010, 08:05:21 PM »
tHIS IS a wonderful read and an eye opener for many.I have much respect for the seniores who make the rounds to make ends meet while get to play the stuff they really love on the side.They are such class acts!!!

Salamat naman at may respeto ka sa mundong ginagalawan namin. Marami kasing mayayaman na may instrumento ang minamata kami at sinasabing wala kaming ibabahagi sa industriya kasi puro cover lang kami.
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline joel_marcelo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2011, 02:53:45 AM »
linawin ko lang mga sirs, bago may magalit sakin, nakakaasar isipin ang magagaling na artist kailangang di sila kumikita sa gusto nilang gawin. di ako naasar sa gig whores, dahil syaang yung galing nila di naapriciate. walang pinagiba sa ibang industry, yung mga pinoy docktor nag nurse dahil sa in demand sa abroad.
If you don't mind me asking Ser TS, nabayaran ka na ba ever for your talent?

Offline blackwingchai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2011, 01:15:30 PM »
ako ba tinatanong dito? oo naman, binabayaran ako sa talent ko, pero tulad ng karamihang musiko dito i earn more from other projects kaysa sa talagang gusto kong gawin.
MAKE ME SICK I MAKE MUSIC

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2011, 09:50:35 PM »
oo, tama i agree, parang art is not for everybody, if its for everybody then its not art.
sad to say lots of filipinos are into entertainment than art.

it never occured to you that music is entertainment, and for the most part is "visual?"

i am sure you would have never checked out Slash if he was a balding 50 year old caucasian.

-*-

there are many reasons why we took up music.

a.) some of us just want to play music, our way, in our time and we dont give a crap if anyone wants to listen.
b.) some of us want to have an audience (some are happy with a small scene, some want a bigger audience).
c.) some of us don't wanna have a day job no matter what it takes, and instead, just play guitar to feed our families.

there are others, but those 3 alone can be incompatible. and for the most part, those 3 exist within us musicians (in different degrees) ... i guess those session jazz musicians TS meant are those guys who are type A and type C... and they manage to come up with a compromise - play noontime shows for the money, and play the technical jazz stuff in small bars or record them in their personal studios.

now, others though, are just not realistic... they are type A but they insist on being type B and type C ... and they end up being nothing but complainers... saying "[grape] mga tao" "di marunong mag appreciate ng real music" "sayang yung 70's kasi nagiging sikat yung mga banda gaya ng led zep" etc. etc. etc.

sometimes, i wonder how guys like that deal with everyday things?

anyway, this question isn't for guys like me... i am not a jazz musician :)

i just wanted to add food for thought - and besides, its a public forum, hehe.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:51:36 PM by IncX »

Offline kwirdas

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2011, 03:51:51 PM »
gig whore here... Hehehe

Offline blackwingchai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2011, 08:30:31 PM »
it never occured to you that music is entertainment, and for the most part is "visual?"

i am sure you would have never checked out Slash if he was a balding 50 year old caucasian.

-*-

there are many reasons why we took up music.

a.) some of us just want to play music, our way, in our time and we dont give a crap if anyone wants to listen.
b.) some of us want to have an audience (some are happy with a small scene, some want a bigger audience).
c.) some of us don't wanna have a day job no matter what it takes, and instead, just play guitar to feed our families.

there are others, but those 3 alone can be incompatible. and for the most part, those 3 exist within us musicians (in different degrees) ... i guess those session jazz musicians TS meant are those guys who are type A and type C... and they manage to come up with a compromise - play noontime shows for the money, and play the technical jazz stuff in small bars or record them in their personal studios.

now, others though, are just not realistic... they are type A but they insist on being type B and type C ... and they end up being nothing but complainers... saying "[grape] mga tao" "di marunong mag appreciate ng real music" "sayang yung 70's kasi nagiging sikat yung mga banda gaya ng led zep" etc. etc. etc.

sometimes, i wonder how guys like that deal with everyday things?

anyway, this question isn't for guys like me... i am not a jazz musician :)

i just wanted to add food for thought - and besides, its a public forum, hehe.
yes it occurred to me, i did not said that its not, only we are more into entertainment than art.
And i would still check out Slash if he good even if he's balding and fat, like Jim Hall. dahil I appreciate art and definitelyl be entertained.
At ano naman yung not "real music"? para sa akin lahat is real music only artistic ones and for entertainment, kahit saan ma visual arts, architecture, litirature and dance there is always artistic and commercial or for entertainment side.

Offline kwirdas

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2011, 03:35:11 AM »
also, i'm not a jazzer, i only can play a bit, but i'm not good at it. :) but i'm a gig whore.  :) may not sound good to others ears but it's where i get money to pay my bills and support my family... i have left some pride in me, and i know when to say no sa di ko na kayang kanta. but when you think about your family, and you play for the artist that even plays baduy songs, sino ba ako para magmalaking "I'M A PURIST, I DON'T WANNA PLAY THIS SONG AND RATHER BE STARVED"... e yung mga malalalim ngang rakista sa U.S. naoobligang magmainstream, sa jazz pa kayang mas maliit ang bilang ng listeners...

our job is decent... :)

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2011, 06:48:09 AM »
also, i'm not a jazzer, i only can play a bit, but i'm not good at it. :) but i'm a gig whore.  :) may not sound good to others ears but it's where i get money to pay my bills and support my family... i have left some pride in me, and i know when to say no sa di ko na kayang kanta. but when you think about your family, and you play for the artist that even plays baduy songs, sino ba ako para magmalaking "I'M A PURIST, I DON'T WANNA PLAY THIS SONG AND RATHER BE STARVED"... e yung mga malalalim ngang rakista sa U.S. naoobligang magmainstream, sa jazz pa kayang mas maliit ang bilang ng listeners...

Oh yes I do agree the job is very decent especially when you consider that we get paid an honest days wage for an honest hours work hehe...

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline blackwingchai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2011, 07:46:33 PM »

finally someone who sees the bright side, "gig whore" nabasa ko lang yan, a parody essay/story na kinatha ng isang Jazz musician na isa ring manunulat. isa lang sa mga terms na ginawa nya.

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 12:52:34 PM »
wow great thread.

thanks rj torres for the link you posted.
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 01:13:42 PM »
yes it occurred to me, i did not said that its not, only we are more into entertainment than art.
And i would still check out Slash if he good even if he's balding and fat, like Jim Hall. dahil I appreciate art and definitelyl be entertained.

ahhh... good for you then!

you do realize though that people like you are in the minority, and targeting your market segment won't be enough to feed a guy who wants to play music for a living.

Offline blackwingchai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 06:42:38 PM »
ahhh... good for you then!

you do realize though that people like you are in the minority, and targeting your market segment won't be enough to feed a guy who wants to play music for a living.

yup, and i dont play music for a living, i did not learn music for money,  I play music to satisfy and express what i have to say. Sinakripisyo ko na yung paniniwala ko sa profession ko, binitiwan ko na sya bilang isnag uri ng sining, at lumipat sa commercial na aspeto nito, siguro tama na yun. hehehe.

Offline blackwingchai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2011, 09:09:01 PM »
Binura?