hulika

Author Topic: HOW to FIX BRIDGE a stratocaster  (Read 1550 times)

Offline jmlozadasite

• Philmusicus Noobitus
HOW to FIX BRIDGE a stratocaster
« on: June 17, 2011, 01:22:28 AM »
Hi. anyone can help me? I've sold my Les Paul for me to buy a new one (stratocaster).

Things that I love within Les Pauls are it's humbuckers, fix bridge and I've placed a kill switch (replaced one of the tone knobs). What I hate most is the weight. I've tried do a guitar flip on a local gig and it smashed down my neck. What a failure it was..

Now, I'm having a new one (stratocaster) due to it's light weight and good tone but what I hate most is that noise when powering an overdrive or distortion. I also want to "Fix Bridge" it so that if ever during a gig, and a string snaps out, the tonation will only get intonated just a bit.

Next, I want to have only one "Tone Knob" or Tone Control because I'll be using the last slot and replace it with a kill switch. I use kill switch a lot from rnb songs.

Lastly, I want to remove it's noise without changing it to humbuckers. I also don't want to use Noise Gates.

The real issue is, how to fix bridge a stratocaster. I won't be using the trem bar anyway.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: HOW to FIX BRIDGE a stratocaster
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 01:27:33 AM »
Now, I'm having a new one (stratocaster) due to it's light weight and good tone but what I hate most is that noise when powering an overdrive or distortion. I also want to "Fix Bridge" it so that if ever during a gig, and a string snaps out, the tonation will only get intonated just a bit.

The real issue is, how to fix bridge a stratocaster. I won't be using the trem bar anyway.

Best way.
1. Get a Tremol-No. Only downside, it's pricey.

Alternative.
1. DIY. Put a tremblock. Most guys improvise on a wood tremblock. Cheap, almost costless if you have the materials needed. Why wood? For toanz!! But you can substitute other materials that can get the job done similarly.

Check this picture for a better idea.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j284/JudokaUSA/Block_Bridge.jpg
http://www.agileguitarforum.com/uploader/files/1244911127-TremBlock.JPG

Basically, isasandwich mo yung tremblcok mo in a way na parallel yung bridge assembly mo sa body nung guitar. Kumbaga, dapat maayos at nakalevel muna yung bridge. Hndi siya dapat nakatungo o nakatingala.  :-)

Next, I want to have only one "Tone Knob" or Tone Control because I'll be using the last slot and replace it with a kill switch. I use kill switch a lot from rnb songs.

Wiring diagrams are plentiful sa net. Take a look here, baka meron for the configuration you want. Madali na lang naman mag-install ng killswitch.
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/

Lastly, I want to remove it's noise without changing it to humbuckers. I also don't want to use Noise Gates.

Single coils = inherent 60 cycle hum

You can't make it 100% noise free. Only 99.9%. Joke. You can only lessen it so much pero nandyan pa rin yan. Have a good guitar grounding and shielding to minimize the noise. Pati house grounding na rin.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 01:33:38 AM by r_chino18 »

Offline rowley75

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 01:28:24 AM »
Hi. anyone can help me? I've sold my Les Paul for me to buy a new one (stratocaster).

Things that I love within Les Pauls are it's humbuckers, fix bridge and I've placed a kill switch (replaced one of the tone knobs). What I hate most is the weight. I've tried do a guitar flip on a local gig and it smashed down my neck. What a failure it was..

buy a tremol-no and install it to your stratocaster.
for the noise. lessen the gain, check cables, check amp, check everything if it's working properly. and btw, single coils tend to hum.
Live by honor, Kill by stealth.

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 01:45:19 AM »
just lay your bridge really flat on the body of your guitar, then tighten your springs at the back side (or tighten + add more springs).

the concept is the spring tension is a lot greater than string tension. your bridge will not move because its flat on the body of your guitar and the springs are really tight.

ILLUSTRATION:

I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 01:46:25 AM »
Careful with blocking the trem. It might look like an easy DIY project. But you can actually lose sustain if you don't have a properly fit block. Even I didn't believe it until I heard it for myself.

I don't get the tuning problem when you break a string, unless the bridge is floating. If you have a standard trem that's floating, simply tighten the springs at the back and you're good to go. You can even add springs if you want. You only need a block if the bridge is not flush to the body, like a floating Floyd or Wilkinson.

By noise, you probably mean the 60Hz single coil hum. You can reduce, but not eliminate it.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline istipen

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 01:49:47 AM »
+1 dun sa mga previous replies
plus:
  • May single-coil-sized humbuckers... side-by-side and stacked...
  • Proper Grounding ng pickup cavity and pickguard....
  • Hindi ko po naintindihan masyado yun kill switch part pero,  na consider nyo na po ba yung Push/pull pot or footswitch based solution?

Offline rowley75

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 01:54:02 AM »
plus:
  • Hindi ko po naintindihan masyado yun kill switch part pero,  na consider nyo na po ba yung Push/pull pot or footswitch based solution?
+1 sa push/pull pot.
Live by honor, Kill by stealth.

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 08:36:02 AM »
plus:
kill switch ala tom morello siguro.. kung yun ang purpose niya (wala akong maisip na iba) mahirap ang push/pull pot diyan.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 11:22:40 AM »
The challenge is to make it as snug as possible, if you go ahead and block it with a piece of wood.  Cut it rough a little bigger than what you need.  Then use a wood rasp or coarse sandpaper to trim it down to its final shape and size.

Did this on my PRS SE trem sometime ago, just to try it out.  It will take work, and test your patience.  But it's not that difficult.  No loss of sustain in my experience, although I took it out later on when I was missing my trem.  It is what it is, after all.  Just learn to setup the trem to float when your guitar has one.  It's more rewarding when done right.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline KASALANAN

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 05:10:58 PM »
Best way.
1. Get a Tremol-No. Only downside, it's pricey.

Alternative.
1. DIY. Put a tremblock. Most guys improvise on a wood tremblock. Cheap, almost costless if you have the materials needed. Why wood? For toanz!! But you can substitute other materials that can get the job done similarly.

Check this picture for a better idea.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j284/JudokaUSA/Block_Bridge.jpg
http://www.agileguitarforum.com/uploader/files/1244911127-TremBlock.JPG

Basically, isasandwich mo yung tremblcok mo in a way na parallel yung bridge assembly mo sa body nung guitar. Kumbaga, dapat maayos at nakalevel muna yung bridge. Hndi siya dapat nakatungo o nakatingala.  :-)

Wiring diagrams are plentiful sa net. Take a look here, baka meron for the configuration you want. Madali na lang naman mag-install ng killswitch.
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/

Single coils = inherent 60 cycle hum

You can't make it 100% noise free. Only 99.9%. Joke. You can only lessen it so much pero nandyan pa rin yan. Have a good guitar grounding and shielding to minimize the noise. Pati house grounding na rin.

mines already set to fixed bridge. currently strung on gauge 11 strings, yung original owner naglagay ng mga 25 centavos sa ilalim para magsilbeng tremblock. works well. solid! haha :-)
references:mrpentatonic,mavsweep,pepeman,guitarpoets, studiowan,shredmaestrobri,sereyor,darkflan,maniacally_cool,bentoinks, kurseth,caloi,alcohol,ryansatriani,rg570,jhule77,ARIS,freongang,jamesroy,brianlp,nimrodthebomber,gruthang,inigo,buls,tapslore,

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 07:50:48 PM »
If you want an accurate DIY block, you can do it ala Dan Erlewine:

(Here's the procedure AFAIK--I'll check the book later :lol:)

1. Remove the tremolo springs
2. Stuff different sized wood dowels in while supergluing the each dowel to the preceding one.
3. Remove the superglued wood and measure the angle created.
4. Using the measurements obtained along with the dimensions of the trem hole, cut, sand and shape your block to specs.
5. Place the block and enjoy!

:-)
LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 08:21:50 AM »

I don't get the tuning problem when you break a string, unless the bridge is floating.

it can happen when the neck isnt setup/stable enough..

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 08:36:57 AM »
^^ it can also happen on clamped-down bridges, if the springs are too loose (which I like because it makes 0.11's slinkier and easier to bend).
We are the authorized Philippines Dealer for the following brands:

www.strymon.net * www.maxonfx.com * www.voodoolab.com * www.godlyke.com * www.neunabertechnology.com * www.mieffects.com * spudmusicmnl@yahoo.com 09165923814

Offline jmlozadasite

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 08:36:17 PM »
Well thanks for the replies guys.

Actually, yan din naisip ko.. and wla na ata ibang choice.

Yes tremol-no fits best but I think, i'll still prefer the wooden blocks for some reason.

About killswitch, easy to install lng nmn.

problem ko nlng ay ung single coil pickups ko.

Yes, single coil tends to hum that's why even malmsteen uses noise gates pero I'll try to use Artec Hot Blade Single Coil Humbucker for Bridge in Black

and last is, papapa buzz feiten ko rin pala to.

Fernando lng kasi brand ng guitar ko, low life haha pero gusto ko syang iset up.

BTW CHANGE TOPIC. THANKS SA HELP GUYS

PLEASE CLICK HERE

http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,238330.0.html

Offline jmlozadasite

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 08:40:45 PM »
nga pla. yung kill switch na tinutukoy ko ay uing kay tom morello and buckethead. Les Paul user kasi ako but then I miss playing a strat. Yes, normal may hum ang single coil. Not planning actually to eliminate, kahit malessen lng.

patulong nmn ako sa next query ko

http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,238330.0.html

Offline XrsJay

• Veteran Member
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 07:25:15 PM »
in regards to this thread po

pa ask lang

ano po ang tamang height ng bridge pwede po pa post ng pic?

Offline chiqgarcia

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 04:22:09 PM »
kuha ka ng plastic case ng vcd/dvd
cut to size  (to accomodate two 1 peso coins side by side)
add more coins (stacked on top of each other) to the desired thickness
tape
insert in trem/spring cavity

ghetto solution lang ito ha pero nagawa ko na rin yan :D
Postcoital bliss is not a government housing project in Quezon City.
VidProkEnMasse ~ video processing software
http://vidprokenmasse.blogspot.com/2014/07/vidprokenmasse.html