hulika

Author Topic: Anti Virus for MTPA  (Read 779 times)

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
Anti Virus for MTPA
« on: November 30, 2011, 07:20:08 PM »
Just wondering, what is the best anti virus for someone who runs audio applications on his PC?
Or in other words, what is the most DAW friendly anti virus or protection software?

Offline starkiller

Re: Anti Virus for MTPA
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 10:00:27 PM »
I've worked for an AV and Security company for over a decade.

AV is about practical balance between security, accessibility, and performance.  In other words, high detection rate (security) is not the be all and end all of AV.  You have to ensure that CPU utilization is not too high (performance) and that your work is not affected  false positive detections (accessibility).

If you want all three, STAY AWAY FROM FREE AV.  Free AV only cares about detection and low cost... they use this as their marketing come-on.  But they couldn't care less about performance and accessibility because they have no paying customers to be accountable for.  Madalas sila mag false positive.  So if you care about your applications and data, and want to prevent data corruption due to false positives, go for PAID/LEGAL VERSIONS of the big three --  Symantec, Trend Micro, McAfee.

Honestly, the full desktop suites of all three companies have relatively comparable performance.  I personally recommend my company's product -- Trend Micro Titanium.  Titanium is a version of our product that is specifically designed to run very light and efficient.  It wont hog precious CPU resources during recording and rendering.  So there, that's my recommendation :)

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 11:59:34 AM »
I am actually looking into purchasing norton. Do you have an local site where local prices of trend micro are posted?

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 12:09:36 PM »
I myself don't have an AV installed LOL.

Kung meron man, I will turn it off while working on music tasks.

Offline starkiller

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 04:45:03 PM »
hi nolit,

Sorry, i can't quote you a specific price because our distribution is via channels and retail (i'm from the main company, not the retailer).  the pre-discounted MSRP is $70 for 3 computers.  retail shops in malls would be your best bet.

hi samuelfianza,

Yeah, i also turn-off the AV when processing media.  this is perfectly safe provided that you also turn off your Internet and LAN, and avoid connecting any devices and storage while the AV is off.  In other words, completely isolate your PC form any form of connectivity.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 04:53:25 PM by starkiller »