hulika

Author Topic: what to do to have a good blend in small hall concert?  (Read 1213 times)

Offline dencious

• Netizen Level
what to do to have a good blend in small hall concert?
« on: August 21, 2011, 04:55:17 PM »
I would like to ask a tip on how to produce a good mixing blending in a small hall concert. i want to know what to do so the sound will have a good out put on musicians monitor and in the house speaker?

what will i do so the output sound in my head phone is the same with the output in the house speaker?

I very much appreciate your reply to my post.

Dencious
If God brings you to it,
He will bring you through it.

Dencious

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: what to do to have a good blend in small hall concert?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 09:49:54 PM »
I would like to ask a tip on how to produce a good mixing blending in a small hall concert. i want to know what to do so the sound will have a good out put on musicians monitor and in the house speaker?

what will i do so the output sound in my head phone is the same with the output in the house speaker?

I very much appreciate your reply to my post.

Dencious

You need to have good acoustics to have good sound.  It doesn't depend entirely on the mix. 

Offline dencious

• Netizen Level
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 02:04:18 PM »
skin @ Thanks for the tip bro.

Any other additional tips on the topic guys?
If God brings you to it,

Dencious

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 04:18:27 PM »

This very rarely happens, unless the hall itself has excellently designed acoustics. Either way, you won't be able to duplicate the mix you hear in your headphones.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline dencious

• Netizen Level
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 08:15:06 PM »
This very rarely happens, unless the hall itself has excellently designed acoustics. Either way, you won't be able to duplicate the mix you hear in your headphones.

ahhh.... i c. but KitC i can make a nice mix of levels that will come out to my house speakers?
If God brings you to it,

Dencious

Offline king_james

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 10:41:52 PM »
You need to have good acoustics to have good sound.  It doesn't depend entirely on the mix.  

Yup and you may consider to only mix the main vox to the FOH if the instruments are loud enough for the "small hall concert".  :-) :-)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 10:44:50 PM by king_james »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 12:09:11 PM »
ahhh.... i c. but KitC i can make a nice mix of levels that will come out to my house speakers?

This is what is usually done.

The drums are miked (often also isolated), and all instrument and amps are fed to the FOH board, as are the vocals. You can blend the instruments with the vox to achieve a relatively balanced house mix, but the stage amps will provide the main source of instrument sounds, esp. in smallish venues. In larger halls, everything gets fed to the FOH board.

If you intend to record all this, that's another matter entirely since you WILL need a separate board for recording.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire