hulika

Author Topic: Teaching Guitar Lessons for Beginners  (Read 5635 times)

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Teaching Guitar Lessons for Beginners
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2015, 09:45:29 AM »
Sent docs! CAGED is actually the recommended lesson for beginners. You only teach barre chords when they can easily switch chords while playing chord progressions.

para sakin, prime consideration ang A and E dahil sila yung moveable chords. And for some reason importante ang open D. Can't exactly say why pero importante sya maturo sa beginner talaga  :lol:
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2015, 11:06:12 AM »
para sakin, prime consideration ang A and E dahil sila yung moveable chords. And for some reason importante ang open D. Can't exactly say why pero importante sya maturo sa beginner talaga  :lol:

Lahat sila movable pero mahirap gawin unless naka capo. Yung C madali din imove. You're right madali ituro ang barre cbords kapag alam na ang A at E.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2015, 11:22:47 AM »
Lahat sila movable pero mahirap gawin unless naka capo. Yung C madali din imove. You're right madali ituro ang barre cbords kapag alam na ang A at E.

di ako marunong mag movable C  :-(

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2015, 02:20:27 PM »
di ako marunong mag movable C  :-(

Gawin mo ang open C chord, pero reserve the pointing finger for the barre.
Move two frets up to do the D chord, using the pointing finger to barre the first three strings.
Move two frets up and you get the E chord etc.

:-)

Offline chiqgarcia

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2015, 04:43:13 PM »
Uy ayos na topic 'to ah. Also thought of starting a thread like this. Anyway, I teach basic guitar in a sort of professional capacity, yes I do get paid. I have developed a 'system' (naks!) to teach guitar... actually it's an almost-done work-in-progress.

The challenge: My pupils (aged 12~14) are not particularly musically gifted and their interest/motivation varies greatly from session to session.

Things I've noticed:
1. Developing their concentration/focus is difficult and is actually the second biggest challenge.
2. Keeping them interested is the biggest (pupil may quit, no more lessons).
3. Only in 3-4 months will a non-gifted modestly motivated beginner be able to play bar chords.
4. Pupil plays an A major but also strikes the low E string (aargh!). Pupil plays D major but strums all six strings (more aargh!).
5. There is a chance the pupil may be able to tune a slightly out of tune guitar 5 months into the program.

blackboard stuff for first lesson:
1. parts of a guitar.
2. how to hold a pick (fingerstyle is outside the scope of my program).
3. how to strum (forearm twist, wrist, thumb, economy of motion, etc).
4. describing the "baseball bat grip": term I coined to describe how your fretting hand palm hugs the neck when playing open chords: A, D, E, G, C, etc.
5. describing the "violinist's grip" (another term I coined): how your fretting hand thumb presses against the neck when playing bar chords. e.g. you use the 'baseball bat grip' when playing a D major, and the 'violin grip' when playing F. what goes on behind the fretboard is just as important as your fretting fingertips landing on their targets.

Since this challenge has been presented to me (these-kids-suck scenario), I have elected to dispense with music theory and chord construction, and decided to focus on drills, drills, and more drills. I ended up producing over 60 backing tracks (yup, I'm a bedroom producer) that would drill them with over 70 chords (from C to B, flats and sharps included, major, minor, 7, m7, M7, plus some sus2/sus4, root/3rd, etc).

This is what you have to realize with these iphone/facebook generation kids... the drills should provide INSTANT GRATIFICATION. The drills should be able to make them realize that: "hey, I can do this!". Learning through success is much more faster than learning through failures (sa NLP ko yata ito napulot). My gulay, nung panahon ko, learning guitar just meant getting a  copy of jingle/songhits and you SHOULD be able to learn. But it's a totally different ballgame now. I guess ADHD is more common now, joke.

With that in mind, my first drills are just strumming patterns (I have five) where no chords are played (strings are muted by left hand). They all start out slow (60 bpm) then progressively get faster (accelerando). My program is not the best... because it was designed for the worst (pupils). As such, I had to strip it down to the bare essentials.

If I get the time, I will share some of my work.

Meantime, here's a track I made for one my pupils (who is now comfortable playing reggae).
Magic! - Rude (lecheng nestea na yan!)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 05:32:40 PM by chiqgarcia »
Postcoital bliss is not a government housing project in Quezon City.
VidProkEnMasse ~ video processing software
http://vidprokenmasse.blogspot.com/2014/07/vidprokenmasse.html

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2015, 07:13:51 PM »
Great to have a guitar teacher here! I share the same challenges when I teach kids kaya I prefer teaching improvisation lessons lately :D

Sa beginner exercises I let them count 1-2-3-4 paulit ulit then tapping sa guitar kasabay ng beat.

Then I let them strum pero nakamute with their left hand

Then I let them memorize the CAGED chords and play simple chord progression (I have several chord progressions that I alternate para hindi magsawa) pag naka three or four chords na sila. I let them count 1-2-3-4 while strumming the guitar. No singing muna.

To practice switching I play a game where I ask them to do a chord as quickly as they can. I give them one or two minutes to do as many chords that I tell them. I say G and then do G and strum. Then I say another chord etc until the time is up.

Ang major challenge ko is asking them to press harder on the strings coz they complain na masakit.

Second challenge is what song to teach with the chords they learned. Di na ko updated sa mga bagong kanta at pag sila naman ang tinanong ko madalas may barre chords ang gusto nila.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:19:13 PM by royc »

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 07:16:34 PM »
Uy ayos na topic 'to ah. Also thought of starting a thread like this. Anyway, I teach basic guitar in a sort of professional capacity, yes I do get paid. I have developed a 'system' (naks!) to teach guitar... actually it's an almost-done work-in-progress.

The challenge: My pupils (aged 12~14) are not particularly musically gifted and their interest/motivation varies greatly from session to session.

Things I've noticed:
1. Developing their concentration/focus is difficult and is actually the second biggest challenge.
2. Keeping them interested is the biggest (pupil may quit, no more lessons).
3. Only in 3-4 months will a non-gifted modestly motivated beginner be able to play bar chords.
4. Pupil plays an A major but also strikes the low E string (aargh!). Pupil plays D major but strums all six strings (more aargh!).
5. There is a chance the pupil may be able to tune a slightly out of tune guitar 5 months into the program.

blackboard stuff for first lesson:
1. parts of a guitar.
2. how to hold a pick (fingerstyle is outside the scope of my program).
3. how to strum (forearm twist, wrist, thumb, economy of motion, etc).
4. describing the "baseball bat grip": term I coined to describe how your fretting hand palm hugs the neck when playing open chords: A, D, E, G, C, etc.
5. describing the "violinist's grip" (another term I coined): how your fretting hand thumb presses against the neck when playing bar chords. e.g. you use the 'baseball bat grip' when playing a D major, and the 'violin grip' when playing F. what goes on behind the fretboard is just as important as your fretting fingertips landing on their targets.

Since this challenge has been presented to me (these-kids-suck scenario), I have elected to dispense with music theory and chord construction, and decided to focus on drills, drills, and more drills. I ended up producing over 60 backing tracks (yup, I'm a bedroom producer) that would drill them with over 70 chords (from C to B, flats and sharps included, major, minor, 7, m7, M7, plus some sus2/sus4, root/3rd, etc).

This is what you have to realize with these iphone/facebook generation kids... the drills should provide INSTANT GRATIFICATION. The drills should be able to make them realize that: "hey, I can do this!". Learning through success is much more faster than learning through failures (sa NLP ko yata ito napulot). My gulay, nung panahon ko, learning guitar just meant getting a  copy of jingle/songhits and you SHOULD be able to learn. But it's a totally different ballgame now. I guess ADHD is more common now, joke.

With that in mind, my first drills are just strumming patterns (I have five) where no chords are played (strings are muted by left hand). They all start out slow (60 bpm) then progressively get faster (accelerando). My program is not the best... because it was designed for the worst (pupils). As such, I had to strip it down to the bare essentials.

If I get the time, I will share some of my work.

Meantime, here's a track I made for one my pupils (who is now comfortable playing reggae).
Magic! - Rude (lecheng nestea na yan!)

I will keep this in mind when friends want me to teach them guitar or drums. While it's not the "standard" way of teaching music, it's practical, and I suppose it works because it addresses the student aspect of it, and admittedly, not all of them are that into music.

Offline chiqgarcia

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2015, 07:29:25 PM »
Strumming drills:

OD1_[StrumDrill_x]: 1, 3, 5. Level 1 strumming drills. Mute strings with left hand. Low woodblock sound - strum down. High woodblock sound - strum up.

001_OD1_[StrumDrill_1].mp3
003_OD1_[StrumDrill_3].mp3
005_OD1_[StrumDrill_5].mp3

[ReggaeDrill]: All strum up then mute with right hand (try D chord). Strum up on "and" as in: 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and...

006_OD1_[ReggaeDrill].mp3

SCPx tracks (Single Chord Progression tracks - where X is level). Please note that these SCP tracks are neither "correct" nor accurate when compared to the original tune they're loosely based on. They do not have to be accurate because these are DRILLS. These drills are transposed or have chords changed so that the pupil will be drilled with all 60 essential chords (C to B = 12; major, minor, 7, m7, M7=5; 12x5=60). Unlike most songs, these tracks have only one chord progression (duh!) para hindi mahirapan ang bata.

Chords for these drills are on the latter part of the file name,
e.g. "002_SCP1_FT_[HeartOfStone1]_ADE.mp3" - chords are: A major, D major, E major (_ADE).

Some of the level 1 SCP tracks:
002_SCP1_FT_[HeartOfStone1]_ADE.mp3
003_SCP1_FT_[HeartOfStone2]_GCD.mp3
007_SCP1_FT_[Mashup]_GDEmC.mp3
013_SCP1_FT_[PassTheDutchie]_DA.mp3
020_SCP1_FT_[SoYoung]_ADE7sus4E7.mp3

Yup, "Heart of stone" is actually 'pusong bato', hehe. Okay naman siya as first chord drill kase I-IV-V siya. 'Mashup' is a mashup of 'with or without you', 'paparazzi', 'let it go', and 'firework'.

Level 2 SCP tracks have bar chords in them. Here's a sample:
003_SCP2_FT_[HitMeBabyOneMoreTime]_DmAFGmA7.mp3
020_SCP2_FT_[Hotstepper]_Ebm7Fm7Bbm7.mp3         gusto ko talaga ma-develop yung groove ng bata eh.

Level 3 SCP tracks include root/3rd inversions, major 7 chords, sus2/4 chords. Here's a small sample:
006_SCP3_FT_[CarelessWhisper]_Dm7Gm7BbM7Am7.mp3      yeba!
010_SCP3_FT_[Westside]_Bm7Csus2Am7Em7.mp3         TQ
012_SCP3_FT_[JustTheTwoOfUs]_CM7B7Em7Dm7G7CM7B7Em7.mp3   Will Smith rules! LOL!

In case the pupil wants more, I also have additional tracks that are not 'level-specific'.
001_SCP4_Encore_[BlurredLines]_GD.mp3

Here's the mediafire.com folder to download these tracks:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/o787e88eep7cb/Sample_tracks_-_PhilMusic

Bukod sa mga pop tunes, gumawa rin ako ng mga reggae and bossa SCP tracks.

Eto pa isang track na ginawa ko na patok sa mga pupils ko...
Let it go (Idina Menzel)

Enjoy!

Offline chiqgarcia

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2015, 07:51:38 PM »
LOL... tama ka RoyC.... umaaray talaga bata lalo na pag bar chords na. Anyway, matanong ko lang... Sa B major chord, hindi kase old-school (4 fingers) yung tinuturo ko eh. In favor ako sa two fingers (yung mukhang power chord lang) tapos mute nila high-E string. So they play 4 strings lang (B, F#, B, D#) which is a complete chord. Mortal sin ba 'to?

Anyway, I learned a lot of little things sa mga na-experience ko: merong bata na kayang tugtugin yung chords pero hindi memorized mga pangalan ng mga chords or na-iinterchange yung F# with Bm, merong batang 'magaling' sa 'blackboard' stuff/theory pero hirap tumugtog ng G major chord. Diyos ko po, gumawa pa nga ako ng drill para lang mamemorize yung notes sa A-string eh. medyo O.C. din naman kasi ako, hehe.

If anyone here is planning to teach, tibayan niyo na mga tenga niyo. Pupils will strum the guitar as if they were cutting down a tree. Very unmusical and painful to the ears. Pero yes i get satisfaction when the pupil does improve.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2015, 08:35:43 PM »
Di ako umabot sa barre chord kasi nagbakasyon yung student ko. After nun ayoko na magturo sa bata haha.

For me mas okay ituro ang traditional way na four fingers para masanay tutal sa Bm naman four fingers din.

At what stage ka nagtuturo ng full songs yung hindi chord progressions lang?

Offline chiqgarcia

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2015, 04:24:35 PM »
At what stage ka nagtuturo ng full songs yung hindi chord progressions lang?

hmmm, officially, 5 months into the program ko sila sina-start sa full song. pero kahit two-three weeks pa lang pwede na, depende sa kanta of course e.g. 'royals' by lorde is easy enough (D ~ D C G). 'price tag' has only one chord progression throughout the song, so kaya na rin yun as long as kaya na mag-bar chords (F Am Dm Bb). 'what's the difference' by Dr. Dre has also one chord progression. 'Rude' isang chord progression lang din. I'm sure you've noticed that most pop songs have 1-3 chord progressions, so hindi naman yun  masyadong stretch para sa mga bata, if the chords of a song are all open chords, eh di pwede na agad kahit 3-4 weeks pa lang.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2015, 08:01:54 PM »
Kailangan ko lang sigurong magaral ng bagong kanta para makarelate :D

Offline chiqgarcia

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2015, 08:48:05 PM »
Kailangan ko lang sigurong magaral ng bagong kanta para makarelate :D

hehe o pre, dapat updated din para matuwa ang target market. although included rin sa drills ko songs like girl from ipanema, hurt (kalapana), first be a woman, i will survive, eres tu, etc. dahil sa pamangkin ko kaya ko nakilala ang 1D, lol. pero magkaiba naman yata tayo ng market pre, puro aspiring shredders ata mga pupils mo, lupet!

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2015, 07:08:02 AM »
Tnx sa tip sa kanta! Hindi shredders target ko hehe mga gusto lang matuto ng melodic improvisation :-)

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2015, 04:06:24 PM »
Tnx sa tip sa kanta! Hindi shredders target ko hehe mga gusto lang matuto ng melodic improvisation :-)

pag improvisation, pwede ka tumingin sa mga EDM (na melodic/heavy sa chords)! weird, pero kung iisipin, yung mga drop sa mga kanta na yan paulit-ulit na chord progression tapos may main riff. Favorite ko Zedd, CHVRCHES, at Swedish House Mafia para sa ganyan.

Plus pogi/ganda points yan sa mga studyante pag bigla bumanat ng guitar version ng mga EDM!