hulika

Author Topic: Do you need to tour the bar circuit to get famous?  (Read 3018 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Do you need to tour the bar circuit to get famous?
« on: March 16, 2007, 11:01:28 AM »
I just wonder... all these bands beg for gigs, go to bar managers and beseech a 15-minute set, and after the performance, they call that a gig.  So you work your ass off trying to make a buzz by accepting mostly TY gigs (no TF) and in the long run, you spend on instrument maintenance, gas (or trip fare) and whatnot. 

But then again, why can't you just get signed with a record label and make you "famous" at once by overexposing you on MYX and MTV, and also schedule promo tours around the country?  Do you really have to tour the bar scene?  Do you have to undergo playing for a crowd of 10 in a 100-seater bar, where 5 of which are your friends, and the other 5 is the next band?

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Do you need to tour the bar circuit to get famous?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 11:08:56 AM »
But then again, why can't you just get signed with a record label and make you "famous" at once by overexposing you on MYX and MTV, and also schedule promo tours around the country?  Do you really have to tour the bar scene?  Do you have to undergo playing for a crowd of 10 in a 100-seater bar, where 5 of which are your friends, and the other 5 is the next band?

Basically, because these things are a lot harder to do than to talk about.
The music scene is SATURATED with aspiring bands, and you need money, skill, money, connections, money, etc. to break out. Or sell out.
Did I forget money?

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 11:11:24 AM »
Oops, I forgot.

You also need what we call diskarte. AND money.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 11:13:05 AM »
Oops, I forgot.

What diskarte?  You mean, a series of kicking out managers, asking for help from people who wanna invest on your music and eventually abandon them when a better offer from another financer comes?  It happens...

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 11:13:14 AM »
ask the politicians sir.  :-D
Pare1: Pare, bat naman hanggang ngayon wala ka pang syota? wala ka pa<br />bang napupusuan?<br />Pare2: Meron.. Manhid ka lang!<br /><br />heegad.multiply.com

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 11:15:32 AM »
Uhh yeah you forgot the money!

Things to have to break out....
1. Money
2. Money
3. Money
4. Connections
5. Skills (although sometimes irrelevant)

:lol:
Drummer / Keyboardist
PrimeApes / Chuckoy Vicuņa Combo
https://soundcloud.com/daemon-keys

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 11:17:47 AM »

1. Money
2. Money
3. Money
4. Connections

Does looks qualify too?

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 11:18:18 AM »
Oops, I forgot.

yea we really need this one.. cause in music, we also talk about BUSINESS.
Pare1: Pare, bat naman hanggang ngayon wala ka pang syota? wala ka pa<br />bang napupusuan?<br />Pare2: Meron.. Manhid ka lang!<br /><br />heegad.multiply.com

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 11:21:19 AM »

1. Money
2. Money
3. Money
4. Connections

Does looks qualify too?

Uhhh, sort of, you have to look marketable to be famous.

Kumbaga, managers and labels are "Bugaw" kung wala ka skills, pwede na kung wafu ka....

Pero don't forget the most important thing, Money!  :lol:
Drummer / Keyboardist
PrimeApes / Chuckoy Vicuņa Combo
https://soundcloud.com/daemon-keys

Offline franco

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »

Does looks qualify too?

yes. take the 2 cueshet vox - one sings OK, but the other can only drink water up on stage but chicks dig him so...
if you can't join them, beat them!

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 11:46:52 AM »
You don't need to go on bar gigs to get famous. Just get yourself on masa TV lots of times. That includes MYX.

You go on bar gigs because you want to have some underground credibility. So people can say that you're a "real" band.

Hey, don't ask me, I'm not famous.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 11:50:35 AM »
as a musician i beleive it will be for the benefit of the band na din to have experience sa bar gigs. yan kasi ung starting point and foundation eh. Pero there are some bands that i know na after forming the band they started writing songs and recording their songs and sold them to rec labels. And knowing that band, all of them are hardworking. they promote themselves like what a manager should do. Yes di natin maalis that we need money and connections but thats part of the game eh. in the music industry there are 2 types of people

1 businessman
2 artist

and most of the time we try to be both. but if you are really number 2 you wouldnt care about the ROI coz you do it for the art.
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 12:53:55 PM »
You don't need to go on bar gigs to get famous. Just get yourself on masa TV lots of times. That includes MYX.

You go on bar gigs because you want to have some underground credibility. So people can say that you're a "real" band.

Hey, don't ask me, I'm not famous.

Masa TV?  I think that's more of the Eat Bulaga and Wowowee... Also ASAP and SOP.  :-P If you guest on these shows, that means something. 

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 01:55:19 PM »
I think MYX is masa, as far as music videos are concerned. Content is masa, and they have a videoke component. Parang walang masyadong attempt to be sosi.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 08:36:23 AM »
Bar circuit?  10%.  Lalo na kung dito sa manila ka lang tumutugtog.  The big answer there is.   "Radio" o "Radyo".  Play your song over the radio and the whole country will listen to you and eventually will know you. :wink:

Offline LORD_TAMSZ

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 12:44:53 PM »
yan ang hirap eh...

nadinig ko lang ito, hindi ko maalala kung kanino, tingin ko lang kasi medyo related.

"...in the states, an artist makes an album then promotes via small gigs, tv & radio exposure, concerts na din siguro. mas malaki ang kinikita nila thru sales ng album. dito sa pilipinas, gagawa ang artist ng album para magka-GIG/Exposure/Promotion/Appearance, kasi dun mas malaki ang kinikita nila. marami pang recording companies dito sa bansa ang nakakalimot or kinakalimutan ang royalties/rights ng kanta/album of certain artists..."
 :cry:

"...remember kids, there are no stupid questions...just stupid people..."-- Mr. Garrison, South Park

Offline BassCog

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 01:19:06 PM »
hmmm, the pragmatic answer is:

No.

You want to get famous fast? then form or join a band with some guwapo frontmen, dress up nice and safe, have at least one or two songs that you know will hit on the radio (not because it's "artistic", but because it's pop or pop-rock fodder), get a manager who can and will make you look like the best music product in the world, and just sign on the dotted line with any major label without looking at the fine print. After that, agree to put your whole life around what your manager and your label dictates that you should do.

Also, get a nice haircut, get a good dentist, mag-diet ka at mag gym ka...and just practice your musicianship enough not to be an embarrassment on noontime shows. Oh, right, again the nice clothes.

and be prepared to cover songs.

sigurado ako, you will not need to tour the bar circuit if you do that. of course, what happens after a few years (months, even) is a different story altogether.

That is, if fame in itself lang ang usapan. Money and artistic satisfaction are a different matter.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 01:20:44 PM by BassCog »

Offline pyrosolaris

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 11:43:14 AM »
uuuhhhhhhhh... at some point... pero pwede ka rin namang magrelease ng isang EP if you have the funds, the preparations, etc... bigay mo lang yung EP mo sa isang bar, o sa kahit ilan, let them play it, at pag nasatisfy sila, they can book you a schedule on your gig, that's another way to be discovered (suggestion lang pow. if i am wrong you may correct me.)

nga pala, wag mag rush sa paggawa ng EP tape or CD, make it slow but sure, para makuntento sila. wag rush at pag rush di nila magugustuhan yung play nyo, sasabihing nagmadali kayo kasi gusto nyo sumikat agad...

you always start at the bottom, then make your way to the top. it's always nice and slow. face many trials and tribulations, wag susuko agad, it's part of life. pag nawalan ng funds, isa yun. maaari naman kayong makarecover sa isang pagkakamali, pagkapalpak, and generally, failures. high time noon ng eheads nung nagbreakup sila. nang nagpermanent disbandment sila all members went down again. parang gulong ng buhay, pag nasa taas ka na, wala ka nang pupuntahan but down again. after some time sumikat ulit sila, ngunit hindi na sila yung dating eheads na kinikilala noon. nagkawatak watak na sila ng tuluyan. but they keep their ties to eachj other naman. ely is now promoting his new band pupil's singles in their album Beautiful Machines, Sugarraims has formed another band with his wife (although sabayang sumikat ang eheads at sandwich...) and they are on hightime, buddy has collaborated with his new band the Dawn, and marcus has his new career being surfernando.

Sori kung naiba yung usapan. anyway, ganun lang yun.

ang sagot ko: you can tour the bar circuit to be famous, but success can be really nice and slowwwhh...

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG.
Rise O fallen fighters,
Rise and take your stance again,
Coz he whho fights and runs away, Live to fight another day  -Berhane Selassie (Hon. Robert Nesta Marley, O.M.) The Heathen, Bob Marley and the Wailers   BAKIT 125 LANG ANG POSTS KO??? MODS