hulika

Author Topic: What are the best M-Audio Monitors for Home Studio Recording????  (Read 2188 times)

Offline mundabe2000

• Philmusicus Noobitus
What are the best M-Audio Monitors for Home Studio Recording????
« on: December 25, 2011, 03:22:02 PM »
Merry Christmas to all

Need help with choosing the right monitors for me. I have my eyes set on M-Audio Monitors kc Fast track pro gamit ko and also affordable sya. So... basic recording with MIDI, guitar/bass and vocal tracks. Rock/alternative/metal

im looking at buying these M-Audio Studiophile AV40 Powered Monitor Speakers http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-Powered-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B0051WAM64/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324795181&sr=1-1. Super cheap on Amazon.com. Only $100. But are these monitors good enough for their price? un ung iniisip ko for investment purposes...

OR should i just go with the beefier model M-Audio BX5 D2 http://www.amazon.com/Avid-9900-65174-00-M-Audio-BX5-D2/dp/B005F3H6Q8/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324794149&sr=1-1-catcorr. Mas mahal but regarded as the best M-Audio monitors on the market..

of cors im looking to just buy the more affordable one, pero if small difference lang, maybe ill stick to AV40s.

so need help on deciding. thank you in advance !!!!

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Re: What are the best M-Audio Monitors for Home Studio Recording????
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 05:24:15 PM »
It's still a matter of "get the biggest you can afford". If the bottom line is your concern, the smallest you can get away with is a 5-incher.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline pualux

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 06:44:46 PM »
It's still a matter of "get the biggest you can afford". If the bottom line is your concern, the smallest you can get away with is a 5-incher.

so bigger is better talga sir?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 12:32:30 PM »
With monitors, you can get by with the smaller cones if bass isn't that big a consideration. You will have to acclimatize your ears however. Mixing on small woofers can sometimes result in rather boomy mixes.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 12:48:30 PM »
Kung gusto mo ng maliit pero lamang sa bass go for KRK RPs. :-)

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 03:08:12 PM »
Yea. As Bos Kit says (or maybe implies), using smaller coned speakers will require you to adjust and will not give you a "more accurate" description of the bass content off the bat. Imagine mixing on a 3-incher then testing your mix on a hi-fi rig with 8 or even 12-inch cones. First time, I double-bet, you're gonna go "WTF !!!". You'd even do better mixing through a set of high-quality headphones, but that carries its own caveats.

@Xelly: we used Rokit RP5's in the old studio. You still have to adjust for the bass, the mix actually sounds tinny on the monitors and then goes to muddy on bigger systems. Too much bass content was not adjusted for. First few times lang naman. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 03:11:23 PM by BAMF »

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 03:24:08 PM »
^^ Ang ending you need to "acclimatize" talaga ika nga ni sir Kit.  :)

Offline mundabe2000

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 05:17:19 PM »
thank you for the tread!

i will take into consideration on the matter of "bigger is better" and "low end matters" depending on the make/brand of the monitors. i was informed that the AV40s are SUPER bassy and is NOT preferred by professional/amateur engineers as reference monitors but rather monitors for average users.

ill be looking into buying these as everyone here and some people i've talked to seems to say that they are the best in terms of price and sound.
KRK RP5G2 Pair Rokit G2 Powered 2-way Active Monitors
http://www.amazon.com/KRK-RP5G2-Powered-Active-Monitors/dp/B003WL29WG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324972483&sr=8-1

care to comment?

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 08:59:24 PM »
thank you for the tread!

i will take into consideration on the matter of "bigger is better" and "low end matters" depending on the make/brand of the monitors. i was informed that the AV40s are SUPER bassy and is NOT preferred by professional/amateur engineers as reference monitors but rather monitors for average users.

ill be looking into buying these as everyone here and some people i've talked to seems to say that they are the best in terms of price and sound.
KRK RP5G2 Pair Rokit G2 Powered 2-way Active Monitors
http://www.amazon.com/KRK-RP5G2-Powered-Active-Monitors/dp/B003WL29WG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324972483&sr=8-1

care to comment?

You can't go wrong with Rokits. At the very least the RP5's are a *very* good start. Work your way to a Mackie or Yamaha eventually, but for now, the Rokit will serve you well, just get to know it and its "bugs".  You will want to keep it even after you get your next monitors just to A/B your mixes with.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 10:11:41 AM »
Always run a reference CD through the monitors. DO NOT use mp3s for referencing - the psychoacoustic encoding removes low energy frequencies. Use a CD whos material you are familiar with and adjust the monitor settings to taste. Also note proper placement and positioning. And always reference your mixes with material similar to the genre you are mixing. That way, you have a 'ballpark' sense of what the mix should end up like.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 03:27:23 PM »
Always run a reference CD through the monitors. DO NOT use mp3s for referencing - the psychoacoustic encoding removes low energy frequencies. Use a CD whos material you are familiar with and adjust the monitor settings to taste. Also note proper placement and positioning. And always reference your mixes with material similar to the genre you are mixing. That way, you have a 'ballpark' sense of what the mix should end up like.

Very helpful info sir Kit!! As always!! :-D

Offline sonikyut

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 03:42:17 PM »
Very helpful info sir Kit!! As always!! :-D

Dude ano gingamit mong drum tracks? gumagamit ka ba ng MIDI keyboard para dun? o hinde na, like sa beatcraft
It's heavy metal fatigue.                                                                                                      Postlude.

"Biruin mo na ang lasing maging ang bagong gising, wag lang sa βading na inagawan ng booking"... - George Harrison

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 03:46:34 PM »
Dude ano gingamit mong drum tracks? gumagamit ka ba ng MIDI keyboard para dun? o hinde na, like sa beatcraft

OT: FL9(Fruity Loops 9) bro. Hindi ako gumagamit ng midi keys bro. Input ko lang yung mga notes. :-D

BTT: Try other monitor brands bro. Highly recommended ko yung Yamaha monitors. :-D

Offline sonikyut

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 03:55:54 PM »
OT: FL9(Fruity Loops 9) bro. Hindi ako gumagamit ng midi keys bro. Input ko lang yung mga notes. :-D

BTT: Try other monitor brands bro. Highly recommended ko yung Yamaha monitors. :-D

salamat bro mero akong Fruity Loops kaso medyo nakakalito pa hahaha bago pa lang e

dami na ako instrumental record for past time, almost 90 tracks na (8 LP na yun  :lol:) since 2006 kaso gamit ko lang sa drum tracks e beatcraft so medyo sablay yung tunog ng drums masyadong digital...

since naitabi ko pa naman lahat nga mga tracks ko thru wav for mixing..kailangan ko na lang palitan lahat ng drum tracks
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 04:01:02 PM by sonikyut »
It's heavy metal fatigue.                                                                                                      Postlude.

"Biruin mo na ang lasing maging ang bagong gising, wag lang sa βading na inagawan ng booking"... - George Harrison

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 12:14:45 AM »
I used to use a mix of drum sounds from various midi sources that include an MU80, Roland Orchestra and Quartet, various Emu drum samples, Alesis QS6, my old staple Korg X3, and some sounds from Sonar's Session Drummer. Mix and match accordingly, and ALWAYS record dry when it comes to midi. I emulate an actual recording session when doing midi drums, i.e., separate tracks for snare, kick, toms, crashes, etc., and eq accordingly. I may insert compressors as needed then bus them to a stereo channel which also has another compressor. I also use parallel compression techniques as needed. The secret to a great drum track is to ALWAYS ride the 'faders' and not only on levels. I also ride send levels, reverb levels, returns... the works, and I make sure that the automation is drawn in for final, repeatable tweaks.

If I have BFD, SD2, or even Steven Slate, I'd probably be doing a Marvin right now.  :-D

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 03:32:19 AM »
I used to use a mix of drum sounds from various midi sources that include an MU80, Roland Orchestra and Quartet, various Emu drum samples, Alesis QS6, my old staple Korg X3, and some sounds from Sonar's Session Drummer. Mix and match accordingly, and ALWAYS record dry when it comes to midi. I emulate an actual recording session when doing midi drums, i.e., separate tracks for snare, kick, toms, crashes, etc., and eq accordingly. I may insert compressors as needed then bus them to a stereo channel which also has another compressor. I also use parallel compression techniques as needed. The secret to a great drum track is to ALWAYS ride the 'faders' and not only on levels. I also ride send levels, reverb levels, returns... the works, and I make sure that the automation is drawn in for final, repeatable tweaks.

If I have BFD, SD2, or even Steven Slate, I'd probably be doing a Marvin right now.  :-D

Any way to feed the drum replacements to a replacer like Drumagog ? I've been quite happy with it and it saved my ass more than once.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 11:19:26 AM »
I've read that Drumagog now does vst so just put in your fave BFD kit and you're good to go.