hulika

Author Topic: Strat intonation  (Read 1737 times)

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
Strat intonation
« on: December 15, 2014, 03:17:38 PM »
I tried adjusting the intonation of my Strat. To "fix" the A string I had to move it closer towards the nut. It's now closer than any of the other strings. Usually it's the G or e string that are shortest, right? Is this "normal" or is something "wrong" with my guitar? I have not seen any guitar intonation like this before. Anyone else here who have experienced unusual intonation adjustments?
Melody over speed anytime!

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
Strat intonation
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 03:19:34 PM »
I tried adjusting the intonation of my Strat. To "fix" the A string I had to move it closer towards the nut. It's now closer than any of the other strings. Usually it's the G or e string that are shortest, right? Is this "normal" or is something "wrong" with my guitar? I have not seen any guitar intonation like this before. Anyone else here who have experienced unusual intonation adjustments?

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Strat intonation
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 03:29:21 PM »
ang sabi-sabi, sukatin daw ung distance from ung bridge saddle (the point where the string rests) up to the nut (yung point where the string rests)

then locate yung middle nung length na yun

then check if tatapat sa 12th fret

yun ang pagkaka-alam ko po
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 04:52:12 PM »

ang sabi-sabi, sukatin daw ung distance from ung bridge saddle (the point where the string rests) up to the nut (yung point where the string rests)

then locate yung middle nung length na yun

then check if tatapat sa 12th fret

yun ang pagkaka-alam ko po

If this was the case then all strings should be perfectly aligned. Different frequencies will simply not allow this to happen.

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 05:11:03 PM »
you have to consider string height and the thickness of the string. kaya shorter ang low D at high E kasi sila ang manipis.
nuno : n4 2.0 n4esa, n4vintage, n4 silver sparkle, n5, n6, n7, n8esa
etc : yjm, axis, jp6, jpxi, jp12, jp13, lp 58 vos, lp 57 ri, lp standard, lp trad, am strat, am tele deluxe, jem7v, uv777, rg prestige, j custom, deluxe reverb, vai legacy, jcm900, axefx

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 05:55:02 PM »
minsan it's the string. Lumang string na ba?

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 08:12:25 PM »
Two-week old strings so fairly new. It's got to be something else. I can still intonate it but the relative position of the saddle does not make any sense. :(

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 09:41:54 PM »

are you comparing to it visually to your other guitars? the angle(pitch) of the string slots on the nut can also affect the way you intonate the guitar.

mostly with my strats/super strats they are consistent visually but was having issues with the Sub AX3 until i fixed the slot of the D and G strings

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 04:59:51 AM »

are you comparing to it visually to your other guitars? the angle(pitch) of the string slots on the nut can also affect the way you intonate the guitar.

mostly with my strats/super strats they are consistent visually but was having issues with the Sub AX3 until i fixed the slot of the D and G strings

Yes, my other guitars (Ibanez, LP) have their saddles "arranged" as I would have expected them. I may have to check the nut next time I change strings. What should I be looking for? Thanks.

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 07:14:39 AM »
I eyeballed the nut and I can't seem to fault it. The strings vibrate where they are supposed to be: on the edge facing the first fret. I have been googling a fair bit and I do see some old (relic) Strats with similar saddle positions where the A string is much shorter but mine is still much much shorter.

At the moment I have decided to intonate it by ear because if I use external tuners the intonation problem is more obvious. I'm adjusting it until it sounds almost right to my ears. My OC attitude is not very happy about it though.

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 11:14:42 AM »
Relax. If the tuner says it's right, it's right.
Offset guitars for life.

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 12:11:03 PM »
I eyeballed the nut and I can't seem to fault it. The strings vibrate where they are supposed to be: on the edge facing the first fret. I have been googling a fair bit and I do see some old (relic) Strats with similar saddle positions where the A string is much shorter but mine is still much much shorter.

At the moment I have decided to intonate it by ear because if I use external tuners the intonation problem is more obvious. I'm adjusting it until it sounds almost right to my ears. My OC attitude is not very happy about it though.

try using a different string if all else fails. I hope it works out

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 01:38:19 PM »

pics of the guitar if you can, also whats the angle of the neck? is it flat?

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 03:33:33 PM »

pics of the guitar if you can, also whats the angle of the neck? is it flat?

Neck is fairly flat and parallel with the body with a slight upward bow towards the head stock. String action is perfect for me and there is no fret buzz at all. Will post some photos later.

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 03:48:24 PM »

Note how the A string is already shorter than the D string and even in this position the tuner is telling me that the open A does not match the 12th fret A (flat)

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 04:03:39 PM »

Note how the A string is already shorter than the D string and even in this position the tuner is telling me that the open A does not match the 12th fret A (flat)

Just move the saddle until it intonates pala? Are you only really put off by how it looks?
Offset guitars for life.

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 04:24:41 PM »
Problem solved. I changed strings. :-O

Thanks for the help guys. There is always a first time for an idiot like me. It looks and sounds ok now.

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 04:36:07 PM »
Great! minsan talaga even if it's a new string, there's something in the construction that made it not perform as intended. It happened twice to me
these last couple of years.

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 04:38:47 PM »

try using a different string if all else fails. I hope it works out

Special mention to you bro. Was already thinking of bringing it to the shop tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.