hulika

Author Topic: ROLLER NUT & SADDLES Experience  (Read 3012 times)

Offline bluesride

• Netizen Level
ROLLER NUT & SADDLES Experience
« on: February 09, 2013, 02:37:14 PM »
I am planning to mod my PRS SE Custom  nut and saddles to roller ones. Like my usual drill, I searched around for reviews of those who had the experience of using the same and I got seemingly equal reviews/feedback (negative & positive). Some says it helps keep the tune in place but the downside is, it may restrain sustain and desired resonance. This really made me think deeper. Can I ask please to help me decide whether I keep the stock nut and saddles or I would have a better tomorrow with rollers. I would want to keep the sustain and the tune both on my guitar.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: ROLLER NUT & SADDLES Experience
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 03:05:34 PM »
Kung PRS SE, you'll be using a Wilkinson roller nut or a similar design, right? From what I've gathered, the LSR is the more trusted design kaso pero Fender style nut replacement siya. Whether or not a roller nut may restrain sustain and resonance can also be affected by other factors, particularly how properly it was installed. But what I am fickle about is that installing one requires routing the fretboard. It's the main reason why I always and up opting for a Graphtech nut in the end, after considering using one.

My experience this week further reinforced the notion that the overall setup may as well be the greatest factor to consider when stabilizing tuning. My favorite guitar has locking saddles, locking tuners, Graphtech nut and string retainers, and some amount of lubricant. But the damn guitar still won't stay in tune even after a few whammy dips. So, the other day, I played with the bridge's setup a bit. The result was a huge improvement in tuning stability. It's still not as good as a Floyd, but it's as much as one would have a right to expect from a six-screw trem bridge.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline bluesride

• Netizen Level
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 03:37:07 PM »
Kung PRS SE, you'll be using a Wilkinson roller nut or a similar design, right? From what I've gathered, the LSR is the more trusted design kaso pero Fender style nut replacement siya. Whether or not a roller nut may restrain sustain and resonance can also be affected by other factors, particularly how properly it was installed. But what I am fickle about is that installing one requires routing the fretboard. It's the main reason why I always and up opting for a Graphtech nut in the end, after considering using one.

My experience this week further reinforced the notion that the overall setup may as well be the greatest factor to consider when stabilizing tuning. My favorite guitar has locking saddles, locking tuners, Graphtech nut and string retainers, and some amount of lubricant. But the damn guitar still won't stay in tune even after a few whammy dips. So, the other day, I played with the bridge's setup a bit. The result was a huge improvement in tuning stability. It's still not as good as a Floyd, but it's as much as one would have a right to expect from a six-screw trem bridge.

Thanks for the quick opinion on my concern.

This is what I plan to buy from Bossing: http://www.guitarfetish.com/Roller-Saddles-Upgrade-your-Trem-Hardened-Steel-Set-of-Six_p_662.html

I am not sure if it has the same dimension with PRS SE saddles. Any expert opinion on this?

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 08:31:45 PM »
Medyo picky ang hardware ng PRS pagdating sa aftermarket parts. Not sure if the roller saddles on the link you posted would fit. Try to measure it.

But I'm pretty sure Graphtech has some saddles that will fir the SE trem.. they also have nuts.. try to look into those as an alternative to roller, you might find it interesting as well.

Offline bluesride

• Netizen Level
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 09:12:07 PM »
Medyo picky ang hardware ng PRS pagdating sa aftermarket parts. Not sure if the roller saddles on the link you posted would fit. Try to measure it.

But I'm pretty sure Graphtech has some saddles that will fir the SE trem.. they also have nuts.. try to look into those as an alternative to roller, you might find it interesting as well.

That's what I am worried also about PRS. Thanks for the input

Offline bluesride

• Netizen Level
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 03:00:51 PM »
Any more opinion please?

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 12:49:22 AM »
@ts, i've used roller nuts, saddles(for strats/lp's) and i only have 1 guitar that uses a bridge with roller saddles (ABR style)..

roller nuts, i've installed lsr's on multiple strat style guitars and there are different types of roller nuts..
LSR nuts work well when the radius of the nut matches close to the radius of your guitars fretboard and you dont mind widening the slot a bit( and no you dont have to install the padding that comes with it)

the challenging part is getting the nut height/slot to where it needs to be so it feels good when playing it, what i mean is with a normal nut(bone,corian,graphite,plastic)..you can slot and sand it (easily)...

then you have the nuts sold in ebay like this http://guitarheads.net/products/hardware/nuts/rnut.html, i dont use these but installed one for a customer that had a parts caster neck which was made for a locking nut, it worked well because the radius was close

that set of roller saddles from GFS i used them before..and i would definitely not buy them again..the whole set is not hardened steel but softer

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 01:00:17 AM »
Personally, I'd stick with Graphtech nuts and saddles.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 01:40:53 AM »
Personally, I'd stick with Graphtech nuts and saddles.

i graphite nuts from mojotone,

Offline bluesride

• Netizen Level
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 06:54:39 AM »
 :) :) :)