hulika

Author Topic: A great interview of the King of the Modern Strat tones, Mike Landau : )  (Read 1429 times)

Offline edgie

• Veteran Member
Not really a new interview but still very much relevant. I think it's a really nice one because it reflects on the current gigging scene in the US now and how guys(or should I say guitar gods) like Mike deal with it gearwise.

http://www.hugeracksinc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&start=0&t=72405

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:57:32 AM by edgie »

Offline SixtyCycleOhm

Great info. He had a show @ The Baked Potato last night (Sat) but I wasn't free so I missed it. I only found out about it Friday so it was too short of a notice for me. I'm friends with Kirk Fletcher who is one of Mike's favorite player (Mike produced his last CD, recorded at his studio) and he just mentioned it to me the day before the show. Kirk has a residency at one of the clubs here (Molly Malone's) and he said he might bring Landau out for a jam, just don't know when. Hopefully I catch that. I gotta say, these types of players are not that popular in the Phil, I don't think we have gone past shred guitar yet.

Offline edgie

• Veteran Member
Great info. He had a show @ The Baked Potato last night (Sat) but I wasn't free so I missed it. I only found out about it Friday so it was too short of a notice for me. I'm friends with Kirk Fletcher who is one of Mike's favorite player (Mike produced his last CD, recorded at his studio) and he just mentioned it to me the day before the show. Kirk has a residency at one of the clubs here (Molly Malone's) and he said he might bring Landau out for a jam, just don't know when. Hopefully I catch that. I gotta say, these types of players are not that popular in the Phil, I don't think we have gone past shred guitar yet.

Wow, how I wish I'm living where you are now and you're lucky to be friends with these great players. I ought to check Kirk's music too, I'll probably order from Abstractlogix.com with other CDs.

Mike's truly a cool guy, none of that guitar god complex BS when I saw him last year with Renegade Creation.  I wish to see him play again although I would prefer to watch the Michael Landau Group(MLG) instead of the Renegade Creation band as I just prefer the materials there. My favorite era of Mike's music would be the Burning Water and The Raging Honkies time. Sana talaga napakinggan ko agad yung mga yun nung 90's pa lang, late bloomer kasi ako. hehe.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:05:51 AM by edgie »

Offline SixtyCycleOhm

I agree, wala talagang rockstar mentality. Very down to earth these guys. Traditional blues ang background ni Kirk pero he can play anything. Here's a clip of Kirk w/ MLG:

feature=related
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:43:41 AM by SixtyCycleOhm »

Offline edgie

• Veteran Member
I can't view the link yet as I'm still at work but is that the Worried Life Blues clip?It's one of my fave tracks dun sa 2006 double live album. Sana lang talaga magkaroon ulit ng TRH reunion. : )

How often do you go to The Baked Potato? Meron show last April 16 sa Iridium ang MLG and they broadcasted live for a fee. I'm not really sure how it works(pano pag may delay or glitch sa network, etc.) and I'm sure it'll either be in the wee hours of the morning or working hours ko dito sa Singapore yung schedule nung gig. What do they mean, for example, when they say 0800 Central time or something like that. Sa ganyan kasi ako nalilito. I may want to try these broadcasted gigs someday. First one I saw who announced a gig this way was Carl Verheyen sa newsletter niya sa email.

Offline SixtyCycleOhm

I can't view the link yet as I'm still at work but is that the Worried Life Blues clip?It's one of my fave tracks dun sa 2006 double live album.

Me too. His sound on that CD is really a benchmark for guitar tone.

How often do you go to The Baked Potato? Meron show last April 16 sa Iridium ang MLG and they broadcasted live for a fee. I'm not really sure how it works(pano pag may delay or glitch sa network, etc.) and I'm sure it'll either be in the wee hours of the morning or working hours ko dito sa Singapore yung schedule nung gig. What do they mean, for example, when they say 0800 Central time or something like that. Sa ganyan kasi ako nalilito. I may want to try these broadcasted gigs someday. First one I saw who announced a gig this way was Carl Verheyen sa newsletter niya sa email.

Di madalas. Although 15 mins away from me, mas madalas ako sa blues clubs. The Baked Potato is more catered to Fusion & Contemporary Jazz. Unless it's Scott Henderson, Holdsworth or Landau on the marquee, I don't hang out there.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:44:19 PM by SixtyCycleOhm »

Offline MYN11

• Philmusicus Addictus

Hey Bro. Naalala ko nung pumunta ka dito sa place ko kinukuwento mo about this na nakaka-jam mo pa sila. Sarap diyan sa place mo bro. Ingat bro and God bless.

Rey Cantong

Offline SixtyCycleOhm

Hey Bro. Naalala ko nung pumunta ka dito sa place ko kinukuwento mo about this na nakaka-jam mo pa sila. Sarap diyan sa place mo bro. Ingat bro and God bless.

Rey Cantong

Musta Rey! Bilis nga ng panahon. Mostly si Kirk lang di si Landau. Sinwerte lang ako at right place and right time lang. God bless din sa yo.

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
Kirk Fletcher is so good. The playing on the Fabulous Thunderbirds albums is great but My Turn is awesome.

Offline SixtyCycleOhm

Kirk Fletcher is so good. The playing on the Fabulous Thunderbirds albums is great but My Turn is awesome.

I would say Kirk's recorded efforts only represent about 1/3 of his ability. He's scary good, always tasteful and never resorts to "look at me" licks. A few more vids para sa mga interesado:

- Really thick wah sound on this one

- Awesome HD clip of Mike @ The Baked Potato