hulika

Author Topic: Recommend a local luthier for metallic or sparkle finishes?  (Read 694 times)

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
I'd rather build a consensus first before bugging every luthier for their finishing skills. In your experience, if any of them do, who does the best metallic/sparkle finishes and if possible, how much would it cost for a full body refinish?
Offset guitars for life.

Offline starkiller

Re: Recommend a local luthier for metallic or sparkle finishes?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 06:41:38 PM »
automotive custom shops are good with fancy metallic finishes.  sparkle is probably routinary for them.  just prep the guitar yourself (paint stripper, sanding, and mask neck/pickup/control routes), then let them do the painting.

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 10:11:06 PM »
+1 Great advice from the man upstairs!

I wanna find out too if there is a need for a special gun to accomodate for large metallic flakes. Any ideas?
LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 03:45:22 PM »
automotive custom shops are good with fancy metallic finishes.  sparkle is probably routinary for them.  just prep the guitar yourself (paint stripper, sanding, and mask neck/pickup/control routes), then let them do the painting.
I own a custom automotive paint shop, i wudnt recommend using automotive paint on ur guitar that is if u plan to use it, ive tried it a dozen of times, just go to ur local luthier and have them do it, automotive paint would just deaden the sound. Use wood laquer paint instead of automotive paint

+1 on the painting but be sure u supply the right kind of laquer for wood

« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 03:53:21 PM by alvinratsim »
"If you want to play like the big boys, you've got to play what the big boys play"