hulika

Author Topic: Help on recording for instruments  (Read 2823 times)

Offline vince g.

Help on recording for instruments
« on: September 19, 2006, 09:59:07 PM »
Hi guys patulong naman. I'm not that "equiped" for professional recording yet. I just wanted something simple to do the trick. I'm not sure which option is best to use. I dont want to make my pc my main monitors since regular speakers lang ang gamit ko. Ok lang yun after during editing. Add'l drums, etc. I was thinking kasi while i record, naka OFF yun volume ng pc. How do you guys do yours? Or is there anything else i need to buy?

Offline TheHunter

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 04:33:35 PM »
I pick option 2 for your need.
Let your ears teach your fingers.  :wink:

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 04:45:33 PM »
Option #3 para sa akin pero naka mic-in ang guitar amp instead of D.I. para ang maririnig at mare-record ay yung tunog mismo na lalabas mula sa speaker ng guitar amp. Opinyon ko lang po...
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 05:00:19 PM »
Option 3 also, miked or not. But I have concerns about soundcard monitoring. How will you know if you're not clipping your inputs?
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline vince g.

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 05:11:58 PM »
Hi thanks for all your replies. I dont really want tp use a DI coz my amp (currently PARK) doesnt have any line out. So i thought baka pwede yun DI. Sir KitC, re. the clipping, makikita ko naman yun graphic line nya during recording right? I'll be using adobe audition. Dati kasi naka rekta yun multi ko (no mixer yet) sa line in ng pc. I was able to record with minimal volume lang kaso after i pulled the jack out, na ground yata yun soundcard or something. So nasira. Had to get a new sound card.

From then on, i didnt want to do it that direct if you know what i mean.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 05:19:15 PM »
Quote from: vince g.
Sir KitC, re. the clipping, makikita ko naman yun graphic line nya during recording right?

Some soundcards exhibit audible clipping even without it being visible in the waveform. Depende yan sa sensitivity ng inputs and the A/D converter of the card in general. Sometimes, clipping transients may or may not be visible onscreen but you can hear them. You can try patching a limiting compressor before the soundcard inputs so you can prevent the signal from ever going above 0 dBFS.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 05:37:08 PM »
Quote from: vince g.
Hi thanks for all your replies. I dont really want tp use a DI coz my amp (currently PARK) doesnt have any line out. So i thought baka pwede yun DI.
you can use a speaker level DI with your amp by connecting it to the speaker output jack or the positive/negative speaker leads.
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline mightykid

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 05:51:19 PM »
Will option 3 work minus the amp? & wont the amp modeler of the multi fx be  enough to record direct through the soundcard line-in?

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 06:30:53 PM »
Quote from: mightykid
Will option 3 work minus the amp?

that's the same as option 1.
& wont the amp modeler of the multi fx be  enough to record direct through the soundcard line-in?

please refer to the previous post.

Offline mightykid

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 06:21:22 AM »
Thanks sir tarkuz, may nabasa kasi ako sa pinoypc na guitar recording article & ginamit niyang method is ZOOM G2 ata na multi fx tapos direct through line-in, post ko yung link pag nakita ko.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 11:34:49 AM »
Thanks sir tarkuz, may nabasa kasi ako sa pinoypc na guitar recording article & ginamit niyang method is ZOOM G2 ata na multi fx tapos direct through line-in, post ko yung link pag nakita ko.

That article was written by one of our forum members, Al_Librero. Pwede naman ang ganung connection since the G2 has line outs which can go into a computer's line inputs. Many newbies to recording, however, often connect the line outputs into a soundcard's mic in and that is not the way to go. Using the soundcard's mic in will often make a sound 'basag'. Some soundcards have a combined line in/mic in jack. It's best to set and leave the connection at line in if you intend to record with that soundcard.

Offline mightykid

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 06:25:33 PM »
Thanks sir kit, will keep that in mind.

Ok lang ba na yung 606II ang multi fx & the soundcard is yung Chaintech AV710?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 08:18:36 PM »
Ok lang ba na yung 606II ang multi fx & the soundcard is yung Chaintech AV710?

So long as the multifx has clearly marked line outs (usually stereo), you can plug it into the soundcard's line ins. You are at the mercy of the card's converters, however. I know the Chaintech uses the Envy24 chip which is very good, but since the card is quite affordable, it's A/D converters are not exactly recording grade.

Offline opetme

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 02:27:12 AM »
sir, with this, are you using the line-in of your onboard soundcard or a 3rd party sound card? i've tried to connect directly a Boss ME-50 using the lineout straight to the line-in of an onboard soundcard. okay naman... kung baga, okay na for a first few tries. pero hanap pa ako ng iba alternative.  :)
thank you GOD for LIFE, LOVE and MUSIC!

Offline mightykid

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 09:39:33 AM »
Quote from: KitC
So long as the multifx has clearly marked line outs (usually stereo), you can plug it into the soundcard's line ins. You are at the mercy of the card's converters, however. I know the Chaintech uses the Envy24 chip which is very good, but since the card is quite affordable, it's A/D converters are not exactly recording grade.

Experiment lang muna sir habang wala pang mixer & nakalagay sa manual is standard stereo phone jack, will that be ok?

Thanks for the info sir kit, dami kong natututunan dito.

Offline music_doctor

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2006, 11:57:20 PM »
pag nagrecord ako ng guitar ko, lalu na yung hard driving rock, I still prefer the actual sound ng REAL amp, with 2 mics, one up close, and one ambient, about 3 meters away from the amp itself, and about 90degrees turned away. With this setup, kuha ko pati tunog ng room, and yung speaker cabinet. Never get an amp's line out and have it directed to the recorder's input, nasasayang ang character/color/timbre ng amp. One more thing.... with a live amp, I can get good natural harmonic & acoustic feedback which no one can obtain from directly plugging a multiFX to the recorder
Know the rules before you break them.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 12:38:43 AM »
Quote from: music_doctor
pag nagrecord ako ng guitar ko, lalu na yung hard driving rock, I still prefer the actual sound ng REAL amp, with 2 mics, one up close, and one ambient, about 3 meters away from the amp itself, and about 90degrees turned away. With this setup, kuha ko pati tunog ng room, and yung speaker cabinet. Never get an amp's line out and have it directed to the recorder's input, nasasayang ang character/color/timbre ng amp. One more thing.... with a live amp, I can get good natural harmonic & acoustic feedback which no one can obtain from directly plugging a multiFX to the recorder

Agreed.

But it's one thing to record an amp in a studio, it's another to record that same amp at 2 AM at home without waking up the neighbors next door or the baby upstairs. It's one of the reasons why amp sims like the PodXT have become popular. There are other ways to record an amp without using an iso booth; attenuators/dummy loads such as the Sequis Motherload also offer a way to crank up an amp without disturbing the neighbors. Direct line in recording may not offer THE sound of your amp, but at least you can record at practically any time without having the local tanod knocking at your door.

Another option would be to record a clean tone at the same time with the multifx track by splitting the signal to another track. You can always 're-amp' the clean tone later - a lot of engineers use this technique so that they can experiment with other amps later on.

Offline music_doctor

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2006, 01:00:11 PM »
Quote from: KitC

Agreed.

But it's one thing to record an amp in a studio, it's another to record that same amp at 2 AM at home without waking up the neighbors next door or the baby upstairs. It's one of the reasons why amp sims like the PodXT have become popular. There are other ways to record an amp without using an iso booth; attenuators/dummy loads such as the Sequis Motherload also offer a way to crank up an amp without disturbing the neighbors. Direct line in recording may not offer THE sound of your amp, but at least you can record at practically any time without having the local tanod knocking at your door.

Another option would be to record a clean tone at the same time with the multifx track by splitting the signal to another track. You can always 're-amp' the clean tone later - a lot of engineers use this technique so that they can experiment with other amps later on.

Yun nga lang, hindi pa rin makuha ang good acoustical resonance/feedback. That process wherein the guitar's pickup absorbs the sound coming from the speakers and then regenerates into multi-partial buildup that greatly enhances the guitar's overall tonality, a thing that is sought by most "serious" guitarplayers. :)
    Musta na, Senyor Kit? Labas naman tayo minsan, kahit kape lang :D
Know the rules before you break them.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 01:22:36 PM »

Yun nga lang, hindi pa rin makuha ang good acoustical resonance/feedback. That process wherein the guitar's pickup absorbs the sound coming from the speakers and then regenerates into multi-partial buildup that greatly enhances the guitar's overall tonality, a thing that is sought by most "serious" guitarplayers. :)
    Musta na, Senyor Kit? Labas naman tayo minsan, kahit kape lang :D

Point taken. You are right that you cannot achieve feedback by going straight line in.

Kape? Why not? Sa Purple Haze? :wink:

Oi Pareng Mandi! I-post mo kasi link sa site mo... di kita nakilala kaagad! Sige kape uli kaso masyado kang busy sabi ni Noel.