hulika

Author Topic: SUPERLUX HEADPHONES  (Read 2977 times)

Offline uruha03

SUPERLUX HEADPHONES
« on: August 03, 2012, 07:09:09 PM »
 :) Good Day sirs!

Medyo tempting yung price ng mga superlux monitoring headphones sa lazer at the listening room.
Nahihirapan ako pumili between HD661, HD662, HD669.

So far, magaganda kasi yung reviews nila sa net. Pwede ko bang marinig mga opinion niyo and your choice?
or other model that you think would be best for my needs?

I'm planning on using them to monitor during home recording sessions and a bit for listening.
Please help a brother out. :D
\\\"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.\\\"

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: SUPERLUX HEADPHONES
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 09:22:34 PM »
bad for listening because most of them have harsh highs. easy to get ear fatigue

worst for mixing, do not mix with these headphones because they have the V eq pattern voicing. exaggerated bass, no mids, a lot of highs

good only during tracking and practicing with your buddies thru jamhub  :-D which is my primary purpose, they are cheap though so i bought several already:

hd681 - the first one i bought, very midscooped sounding. ang laki ng sound stage. cant be compared against my akg k240, ang layo ng tunog. manipis ang 681
661 - much better than 681 as there are more frequencies available
668 - the best of the lot but still midscooped

i've also tried the below 1500-peso variety and my advice is stay away from them - ngo ngo ang mids. im still interested with hd681F (if i ever find somebody who sells it) just for kicks to listen if it really does sound flat as they claim it to be.

to add, i also have the hd381 in-ears - great sound for a really low price. this is my daily beater when commuting. hassle lang yung construction kasi akward yung position nung rubber tip.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 09:25:24 PM by peeves24 »

Offline uruha03

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 10:06:34 PM »
thanks bro!

ano ba maganda na headphone na bilhin? dame din kasi kong nababasa about sa AKG [nsert models here] at iba pang mamahalin na hindi ko naman afford. May masasuggest ka ba na hindi gaanong pricey? :D
\\\"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.\\\"

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 10:27:48 PM »
i think the hd668 is fine for your first headphones.

sorry i have many other headphones kaya yung review ko e sobrang down ng superlux.

for recording/mixing, pinakamura mo na siguro mabibili yung akg k240 or k242 at 80 dollars. not sure lang kung meron ka mabibili dito locally. i got mine 2 years ago pa sa hk.

i think the next models are already 8000 pesos and up like shure srh940 (wala na mabili dito e) or if you have a credit card, nakasale yung audio technica ath-m50 sa astroplus for 8999 0% for 6months. thats 1500 per month, kaya para siguro magaan e isipin mo na lang na yung first month payment mo na 1500 yung actual purchase price mo tapos yung succeeding 5 months e nadudukutan ka ng 1500 sa wallet mo  :eek:

Offline uruha03

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 11:13:52 PM »
yung normal lang sir na HD668 hindi yung HD668B or HD668F? hahha

pwede ko naman bawasan yung savings ko para sa drum set >:] since hindi naman ako drummer.hahah

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 08:30:41 PM »
Also check out the Samson headphones at Audiophile.  Superlux din gumawa.  You'll notice the similarity.  1.6K lang.

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/headphones/sr-series/sr850/

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 09:26:21 PM »
Also try AKG K44. These are not really good for mixing. But they are good for drum tracking. Specially since its closed back.
I think it is around P1800 at Channel Intl. That store at the foot of pink noise in roces.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 10:18:24 PM »
Compared one of their AKG 240S knockoffs to my AKG 240S.  No comparison.

The K240S was very natural whereas the Superlux sounded dull in the lows and a tad too upper mid harsh.

Offline SixtyCycleOhm

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 03:31:26 PM »

Kung kaya ng budget, try the Sony 7506. Subok na yan sa mga pro studios. I tried the AKG but found the bass too boomy.

Offline apeng

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 07:11:34 PM »
any KRK KNS headphones users here? will use it as a headphone monitor sa mixer. salamat!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 09:16:35 PM »
I tried the AKG but found the bass too boomy.

I wonder which AKG you tried. The 240S is open back so bass is never boomy with those. I miss my Sennheiser HD280 Pro though... the only headphone I had where you can FEEL the bass, and it wasn't hyped. I guess it's true about the Senn's specs that it goes down to 16 Hz.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline SixtyCycleOhm

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 11:42:41 PM »
I wonder which AKG you tried. The 240S is open back so bass is never boomy with those. I miss my Sennheiser HD280 Pro though... the only headphone I had where you can FEEL the bass, and it wasn't hyped. I guess it's true about the Senn's specs that it goes down to 16 Hz.

I tried the AKG 240S. I found the bass boomy but not overwhelming if that makes sense. I didn't find the bass solid which is common with open backs. I also noticed the EQ a bit skewed especially on the highs. I can hear the extra high frequency it offers but I think it messed up the EQ curve more than anything. I don't think the old 240M sound like it. I like the 7506 better, the bass is a little hyped but I can work around it. I've never tried the Senn HD280 maybe I'll look into that next time I'm in the market for cans.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 01:01:05 AM by SixtyCycleOhm »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 10:18:09 AM »
I tried the AKG 240S. I found the bass boomy but not overwhelming if that makes sense.

It does, but frequency response is also dependent on the amplifier you used. Of course, open backs won't have as strong bass as closed backs. I think the Audio Technica ATH D40 was strong in that regard, if you can find any locally, although I see Sweetwater has it in stock.

My K240S have been ok with most of the equipment I have or even with the amps in the office. It was my older AKG K66 consumer headphones that I found a bit hyped. Pedestrian, but passable for most.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline SixtyCycleOhm

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 12:29:18 AM »
It does, but frequency response is also dependent on the amplifier you used. Of course, open backs won't have as strong bass as closed backs.

At the time I tried both cans (Sony & AKG) on different systems (Digi001, Hifi sys, Ipod etc.) using tracks I'm familiar with frequency-wise for playback and just didn't find the EQ flat enough. I like the old K240M better kaya lang I prefer something loud enough for Ipods and the likes too, no need for an amp. I just did a quick search on the current available cans out there since the paddings on my 7506 are cracked already and andami na pala, so many choices. Good thing replaceable pala yung pads and cheap too so I guess I'll be sticking to my tried and true.

Offline SixtyCycleOhm

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 02:29:36 AM »
:) Good Day sirs!

Medyo tempting yung price ng mga superlux monitoring headphones sa lazer at the listening room.
Nahihirapan ako pumili between HD661, HD662, HD669.

So far, magaganda kasi yung reviews nila sa net. Pwede ko bang marinig mga opinion niyo and your choice?
or other model that you think would be best for my needs?

I'm planning on using them to monitor during home recording sessions and a bit for listening.
Please help a brother out. :D

I really suggest getting one that has a solid reputation with regards to sound quality. I suggest the Sony MDR-7506 or the AKG 240S/ MKII. You would have to test which one  you like better but you can not go wrong with these cans. Industry standard na ang 7506 or K240M. In the long run I think worthy investment naman since you know that what you're hearing is what was intended to be heard. You'll be hearing sounds that were not available on lesser quality cans. I think you'll find it an enjoyable and ear opening experience. Mas ok na mag save and get the best than magtipid pero maka ilang palit ka dun di naman ang bagsak, mas malaki pa gastos. Don't go by price and specs alone too, imo it doesn't matter if it goes from 1-99khz ang importante how flat the EQ is, less coloration much better. Most pro audio cans go past the 20-20khz already so you've got that covered already. Fwiw you can buy cheap earphones that has a wide freq range but that doesn't mean they're accurate. Much like studio monitors, buy it right and it's for keeps, di naman yan kagaya ng ibang gear na you have to upgrade after a while.

Offline KniveRecording

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 10:37:30 AM »
I had to mod my HD 681F's to get a balanced sound good enough for checking mixes and masters on. The highs are really a challenge to deal with but to my ears the lows are pretty good. Like any piece of gear for critical listening, you have to learn them.  :)
Want to be more creative and experimental? With both indie and major label album experience, Knive Recording could be just what you need to chase and achieve YOUR SOUND. For more info, visit: www.kniverecording.com and get a free trial recording session!

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2012, 12:57:34 PM »
Also check out the Samson headphones at Audiophile.  Superlux din gumawa.  You'll notice the similarity.  1.6K lang.

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/headphones/sr-series/sr850/
Seriously, this is 1.6k? I'm looking for an all-around pair of headphones and this is tempting.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com