hulika

Author Topic: AUDIO INERFACE reviews  (Read 1802 times)

Offline secretavenger234

AUDIO INERFACE reviews
« on: July 27, 2012, 09:18:40 AM »
Guys I need your insights in using audio interface or home-based recording.

Rate 5 as the highest. Include PROS and CONS

Offline MYN11

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: AUDIO INERFACE reviews
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 01:48:09 PM »
I'm currently using OO3 RACK + FACTORY for my Mac and FOCUSRITE LIQUID SAFFIRE 56 for my windows. For me they are both rated at 5. No cons at all.

Both interface really integrates well with my DAWs.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 05:05:26 PM »
Still a happy puppy with my E-mu 1820m here. Been going strong since 2004.

Pro: Great sound for $600 at the time. Works great with win7/XP even under 64-bit.

Con: Discontinued with probably no win8 support. Some people freak out when they see Patchmix.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline fantom

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 08:33:38 PM »
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, my workhorse, 5 rating. . .

Offline Blueberri

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 09:47:18 PM »
Would be great if you could telll us how many input channels you'll be needing...

Offline secretavenger234

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 11:22:22 AM »
I was thinking of buying FOCUSRITE PRO 24 or Focusrite Saffire 6 USB Audio Interface... Just enough outputs to record guitars, bass and vocals.. what do you think guys? any suggestion??

DAW: Protools LE
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:47:37 AM by secretavenger234 »

Offline fantom

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 10:47:54 PM »
I was thinking of buying FOCUSRITE PRO 24 or Focusrite Saffire 6 USB Audio Interface... Just enough outputs to record guitars, bass and vocals.. what do you think guys? any suggestion??

DAW: Protools LE

Since Pro 24 and my Pro 40 has the same mic pre amp, and im very satisfied with my Pro 40, ill say go for it. i think theSaffire 6 is also the same its just the USB version, but im not familiar with its mic pre amp. . But Focusrite for a home studio, not a bad choice to start with. . .

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 07:21:13 PM »
Happy with the EMU 1820m I got from MYN11.  :-D I currently had it maximized to 18 tracks with ADA8000 and Focusrite trackmaster. Works great on my windows XP set up without any whims. I got used to  how to work with patchmix. Even using the DSP effects.

Cons - This unit got damaged a few months ago with busted capacitors. But I did a thorough research on it and fixed it myself. Bought the capasitors on ebay and still have a few extras just in case it conks out again. Any EMU users with the same problem PM me I can help out.

I also am starting to enjoy my couple MOTU 2408 with ADA8000 and Octane. The Cuemix was familiar to me after using patchmix for years.

Cons: No Midi port for my mackie control unit. Good thing I kept my usb midi. Need a lot of preamps adat preamps with this.

I also have an Echo layla which I am not using anymore since I only have two PCs in the studio.
If you notice, all my interfaces are PCI based. I feel comfortable with them rather than USB. I think they are more stable when you get to have the right (compatible) hardware.

I still have an old MBOX which is USB only for the purpose of running Protools LE when I get to recieve a protools project. But this will be going away as soon as I get my protools 10 next month.  :)

If you notice my interface has a lot of inputs that is because that is what I need. So the selection of interface would be according to what you need and how you will be using it. Portable or fixed? Variety of mics / preamps for a variety of applications? 

Offline KniveRecording

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 05:25:12 AM »
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 here. Perfect so far. :)

Great software mixer and routing options. Preamps are nice and clean.
Want to be more creative and experimental? With both indie and major label album experience, Knive Recording could be just what you need to chase and achieve YOUR SOUND. For more info, visit: www.kniverecording.com and get a free trial recording session!

Offline boy_mata

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 10:42:53 AM »
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 here. Perfect so far. :)

Great software mixer and routing options. Preamps are nice and clean.

hi sir,

do you use express card or pci card for the firewire? or you just use the stock firewire on you computer?

im having problems with dropouts in my saffire pro 40, perhaps because of built in firewire on my latop with ricoh chipset..  otherwise the interface is perfect, very clean sounding...

Offline KniveRecording

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 08:14:51 AM »
Everyone suggests a T.I. firewire card. I did just that because I was having serious problems with built-in firewire and non-T.I. firewire cards. Also, be sure to install properly. The unit is sensitive even to the order in which you install everything. i.e. install the Focusrite drivers LAST; after the firewire card.
Want to be more creative and experimental? With both indie and major label album experience, Knive Recording could be just what you need to chase and achieve YOUR SOUND. For more info, visit: www.kniverecording.com and get a free trial recording session!