hulika

Author Topic: Mga sir! Need a mentor kung pano set up sa Home Recording. Sino po kaya pwede?  (Read 3764 times)

Offline Tewp

We're planning po na magrecord in our small place sana and we don't have any knowledge about it. Sana po may someone na pwedeng tumulong samin. Kahit ako lang po papaturo then parang mentoring style talaga. I'll just follow and absorb. :) Txt niyo po ako: 09061192472. I'm here in Manila every weekdays because of school.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:56:41 PM by Tewp »

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
We're planning po na magrecord in our small place sana and we don't have any knowledge about it. Sana po may someone na pwedeng tumulong samin.

I suggest you go to CSB's Music Prod program.  Good way to start.

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
We're planning po na magrecord in our small place sana and we don't have any knowledge about it. Sana po may someone na pwedeng tumulong samin.

Area mo?

Offline MYN11

• Philmusicus Addictus
Mga sir! Need a mentor kung pano set up sa Home Recording. Sino po kaya pwede?
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 08:42:34 AM »
Full band ba irerecord mo? Magkano budget mo?

Basically, you need a computer, an audio interface and speaker monitors. Dito ka muna mag umpisa.

Offline Tewp

Area mo?
Sa manila po ko nagstay ngayon pero i'm from antipolo po and dun yung plan namin.

Offline karl666

• Philmusicus Addictus
Ako din makikiabang ng Info! Hehehe. Balak ko din magrecord. :)  :razz:
references: sbalbaguio2006 , washburny , pentagram x , markv , tone thinker, r_chino18

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
i think there is a demand now for a home-service PC recording consultant.  :-P

Ok. I say the honest first step of all is to know how much money are you willing to spend for your recording. If you can't be true with that, all suggestion and solutions would either be non-applicable or unrealistic. Then second would be, knowing your needs and the extent of what you want with your home recording. No need to buy gears that you won't use at all. Just focus on the simplest setup that would satisfy what kind of music that you want to create. That said let's go to the typical and fundamental hardware, which is already mentioned above.

Computer  -  Interface  - Monitor speakers

I also suggest to budget for a professional recording software if you're serious about the music that you'll be creating. Back to the gear follows the other essential part in the signal chain

Microphone - Preamp - cables

And of course the instruments, which you probably already have. This includes amplifiers and accessories usually used together with.  Mic stand, also important. There are a lot of other stuffs like outboard processors,  midi-controllers, audio software, etc. that could give extra power and flexibility to your recording but that will come after you find the need of getting them.

Back to the basics, the first one that should be learned is picking the right audio interface for you. If you're a solo musician a 1 to 2 input USB interface would do good. If you're with a band and planning to make recordings an 8-channel and above size interface would fit your need. Browse them in their manufacturer's website so you can get an idea of its features and uses. Then browse them in internet shopping websites to get an idea how much they cost  :-P. Remember to get an able powered computer for your recording. See the 'Setting your PC for recording thread' here in the MTPA section. For the monitors, you can use a good stereo speaker which you already have for a start. Though it's really important to get a Studio Reference since it will give a more accurate detail of your sound. Next will be learning how to use a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) or simply, a recording software. There are free DAWs over the internet, some demo version are bundled when you buy your audio interface and there are full function DAW that can be bought in disk format in our local music shops. Don't be intimidated by these sofwares. If you're really into recording, learning and knowing how to use them can be really, absolutely and creatively FUN!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's all for now. I think that covers a primer in modern home recording which is computer based of course.  I have so much free time today at work.  :-P
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 07:06:34 AM by jamming_papu »
“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis
 http://soundcloud.com/jammingpapu

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
I could help... PM me your location and contact details then lets discuss.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline modesmaster

download ka lang ng software Adobe Audition 1.5 makakapagrecord kna. you need to have a mixer, tapos na problema.  :)

Offline packyshingha

• Netizen Level
Mga Sir ano po ang proper settings ng pagEQ and Compress ng Vocals.. medyo nalilito pa din po ako dito sa part na to I'm not satisfied with my Recordings.. and i need to improve it .. TIA..

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Mga Sir ano po ang proper settings ng pagEQ and Compress ng Vocals..

First of all, only eq and compress if the voice needs it. Second, try to eq the voice so that it sounds good in the context of a mix. I try to make sure the vocals are a focal point of a song that's why I usually listen to it first then try to accent the good points and remove any honkiness if any. I avoid compressing as much as possible except when the vocals need it.

When the vocals sound right to me, I built the mix around those vocals. Never instruments first then add the vocals to that - formula for disaster. I also do not mix with a lot of reverb on. Reverbs have a tendency to exaggerate bass if used improperly.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline packyshingha

• Netizen Level
Thanks Sir KitC.. by the way i Used Samson C01u Condenser Microphone and this is my first condenser.. i'm planning to try a different mic for the instruments (for my Acoustic Guitar)
I'm not satisfied with the quality of my Output.. :(

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Experiment with mic placement. Granted you can only go so far with 'cheap' gear, but not fully exploring their capability is also limiting. Sometimes, going against their intended purpose opens up new posibilities. I once recorded an acoustic guitar using nothing but dynamics. By judicious placement of the bridge and neck mics, I was able to get a very clear sound (even thoug the client, for some strange reason, didn't like it to sound like a steel stringed acoustic, which it was btw).

Offline Tewp

We're planning po na magrecord in our small place sana and we don't have any knowledge about it. Sana po may someone na pwedeng tumulong samin for free lang. :p Kahit ako lang po papaturo then parang mentoring style talaga. I'll just follow and absorb. :) Txt niyo po ako: 09061192472. I'm here in Manila every weekdays because of school.

Offline Itsmeepeeetah

Sir KitC! Makikitanong na rin po ako kung ok lang! :D i don't know how to get rid of the latency that I am experiencing during track recording..so far puro live recordings lang nattry ko:D kapag Live sir malinis pero naninipisan po ako sa tunog. Kapag track naman po (2 tracks only : 1 guitar and 1 vocal track) May lag kapag nagplayback na ko from recording the vocal track over the guitar track... :( huhuhu
God is good...
All the time!!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Sir KitC! Makikitanong na rin po ako kung ok lang! :D i don't know how to get rid of the latency that I am experiencing during track recording..so far puro live recordings lang nattry ko:D kapag Live sir malinis pero naninipisan po ako sa tunog. Kapag track naman po (2 tracks only : 1 guitar and 1 vocal track) May lag kapag nagplayback na ko from recording the vocal track over the guitar track... :( huhuhu

I suggest opening a new thread so we can discuss and avoid hijacking the TS' thread. Post details of your system.

Offline lowendspectrum

nice insights sir KitC, sir, ano po mga recommended nyo na speakers , mic at mixer na solid po sa vocals pero pasok sa low budget. TIA :)

Offline erniebong

• Forum Fanatic
i think there is a demand now for a home-service PC recording consultant.  :-P

correct bossing... most of the projects i do lately eh home service audio productions

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
correct bossing... most of the projects i do lately eh home service audio productions

wow! totoo nga. if i knew baka nag-pursue nun ako sa audio-recording position dati.  :)
“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis
 http://soundcloud.com/jammingpapu

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
nice insights sir KitC, sir, ano po mga recommended nyo na speakers , mic at mixer na solid po sa vocals pero pasok sa low budget. TIA :)

Define low budget.

Most people I  know started with Behringers or even Raon/second-hand equipment, then worked their way up as budget allows. Another thing, how many channels will you be recording? More channels, more expensive. Will you be using a computer? I know most beginners use whatever they got, regardless of compatibility issues. If you persevere, you can pass those hurdles with a few caveats.

Offline lowendspectrum

lets say unti unti pag bili. yung cheap pero qulatiy naman .