hulika

Author Topic: Questions about Single Coils  (Read 1218 times)

Offline mbsunga

• Philmusicus Addictus
Questions about Single Coils
« on: February 26, 2013, 12:34:42 PM »
I dont know if may thread na ganito
Neways i have some questions
Other persons who have questions about single coils cAn post it here
Experts feel free to answer our questions

Here goes
I have different single coils lying around and napansin ko iba iba spacing nila, pati height nila so hindi ko magamit yung covers for the other. Im planning to buy vintage alnico sc pickups kaso baka mali spacing mabili ko, ano ba standard spacing at height ng single coils for strats. Ill post pictures pag may time para makita nyo difference. Thanks

Offline ToneChild

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Questions about Single Coils
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 02:40:27 PM »
As far as I know, wala naman standard heights yung stagger. It has something to do with balancing string outputs. Yung spacing, don't know. Usually naman pareparehas sila. Dun lang sa SA ko dati medyo F-Spaced kaya di ko nagamit cream colored pickup covers ko.
2008 USA Charvel SoCal Style 1 2H Black;2009 Fender American Standard Stratocaster Sienna Sunburst;2012 Ibanez 25TH Anniversary RG3XXV Laser Blue;2013 Ibanez Genesis Collection RG550 Road Flare Red;Laney Lionheart L20T

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 02:46:15 PM »
Actually, standard F-spaced talaga yung SC. You'll notice that di mo magagamit yung neck pickup for the bridge and vice versa. Ang nagpapa iba lang nyan is the type of bridge that you have. Iba iba kasi yung sukat ng spaces ng mga bridge. Also the nut.
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline mbsunga

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 04:00:25 PM »
Ill try to take pictures with measurements para makita nyo difference. I have 3 diff sc pups kse na ibaiba sukat. Im planning to buy sc pup and pup covers kaso i dont know bka mali measurements  mabili ko. So iba pa pla measurements ng briidge pup compared sa middle and neck? Thanks

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 05:34:32 PM »
Ill try to take pictures with measurements para makita nyo difference. I have 3 diff sc pups kse na ibaiba sukat. Im planning to buy sc pup and pup covers kaso i dont know bka mali measurements  mabili ko. So iba pa pla measurements ng briidge pup compared sa middle and neck? Thanks

Yes. Actually, the f-spacing is referred to the bridge pickup spacing. If you'll compare that to a humbucker, ala ka makikitang f-spaced neck humbucker. Puro regular space yan. The only position that it has f-space and regular-space is the bridge pickup. You'll notice that the string fans from the nut to the bridge. Gibson LP, SG, etc usually has tune-o-matic bridge to which dapat regular space yung bridge pickup mo. Floating bridge and floyd rose bridge are commonly f-spaced.
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 08:10:40 AM »
Some single coil pickups have polepieces with different heights to match the fretboard radius (because it is also a basis for string action).
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline Freak

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 09:01:29 AM »
I have a silly question also:

Does active single coil pups sound as a single coil? I mean, is there really a difference between an active humbucker and active single coil pups?

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 09:04:40 AM »
Active single coil sized pickups are usually voiced to sound like or similar to traditional single coil pickups, so yes.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 09:08:51 AM »
DiMarzio SCs do not accept 3rd party replacement covers.  They use poles of a different size.  Kinman too warn that replacement pickup covers won't fit on their SCs but I have yet to find out why.

Offline mbsunga

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 10:47:46 AM »
DiMarzio SCs do not accept 3rd party replacement covers.  They use poles of a different size.  Kinman too warn that replacement pickup covers won't fit on their SCs but I have yet to find out why.

Thats why im asking if there is a stadard spacing measurements for single coils para sure ako mgfit sa strat ko yung polepieces sa strings. I see some strats kc na minsa off yung polepieces sa strings especially sa neck position

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 12:42:23 PM »
Thats why im asking if there is a stadard spacing measurements for single coils para sure ako mgfit sa strat ko yung polepieces sa strings. I see some strats kc na minsa off yung polepieces sa strings especially sa neck position

IMO, only a few makers have their own size for whatever reason.  But most of the SCs I've had were not that problematic unlike tremolo saddle spacings.  I was able to replace Japanese pickup covers with American Fender SCs and vice-versa.  Those from Fralins also accept 3rd party replacement pickup covers from GFS and Stew-Mac.  I am guessing that misaligned neck pick-up polepieces may have something to do more with the nut width and neck size than regular vs. f-spaced pups.  Case in point are the various pick-up sets, including those from Fender, that allow you to interchange placement before you cut the wires.

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 02:47:46 PM »
Yung stock fernando pickups ko doesn't fit with the powered by lace pickup covers. And yes, in all positions.
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline gradual nothing

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 03:35:08 PM »
f-space nga malamang.. it means these pickups are applicable on fender style guitars na mas wide ang spacing..you should know your guitar bro if its standard or f-spaced.. ako madalas binibili ko eh blade type pu's para wala na ako problemahin kung f-space o standard..heheh  :-D
the avatar of the avante guarde

"you make the sound with your hands and you can fine-tune it with your gear"  --  ALLAN HOLDSWORTH

Offline makkkkk

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 04:35:12 PM »

ngayon ko lang nalaman na iba iba pala ang spacing ng iba ibang pickup.
anu po ba ang mga sukat?? salamat po.