hulika

Author Topic: the Art of frets(yes the metal wires on your fretboard)  (Read 5856 times)

Offline jepbueno

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: the Art of frets(yes the metal wires on your fretboard)
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 02:02:13 PM »
About frets so,

mga sir, may nakagamit na sa inyo ng katulad ng kay steve vai staggered frets? Nacurious lang ako.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/article/3223-steve-vai-true-temperment-a-new-type-of-guitar-fretboard-.html

Offline phoenix_rising

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 04:48:59 PM »
uy cool thread. I'll post some of my fretwork.  :)
Fuseboxx/Kastigo guitarist ESP Artist 2011
Graphtech Endorser Elixir strings and cables
Dealer of CHICKENPICKS  http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=312669.msg4325511#msg4325511

Offline gnarly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 04:51:37 PM »
nice.ganda ng round ends.di nakaka-sugat.

Offline phoenix_rising

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 04:56:18 PM »
frets, we know what they are used for in a guitar...we'll not discuss how leveled it vs how polished..but i do think if you like guitars or your trusted repair guy loves what he does..this OCD on frets is part of the craft or passion for the instrument..

to illustrate..

suhr modern

ibanez rg premium

tom anderson

my modified sx frets

rmansh's/raymond's Gain frets(mic)

if you guys like to share some close up shots of fretwork of your guitars that would be cool :)

Ganda ng rounded frets, i gotta learn to do that.
Dealer of CHICKENPICKS  http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=312669.msg4325511#msg4325511

Offline phoenix_rising

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 05:04:52 PM »
Here's a photo of my refret job on an Ibanez USA Custom

more photos in my facebook account
http://www.facebook.com/mico.ong.56/media_set?set=a.10151377002729863.495225.590399862&type=3

Offline candyapplered

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2013, 12:01:02 AM »

previously posted in another thread, these are jumbo stainless steel frets on a seven-string RG. I had the fret ends rounded on these, though not exactly the same way they're balled on stock Premiums or J.Customs. it goes without saying that they're leveled and polished to near perfection.

Offline jeo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2013, 12:51:05 AM »
Halos lahat ng naparefret kung guitar may ilang frets di lapat ng pantay sa fretboard tapos parang habulin sa pagcrown na lang(napakaselan ko). I mean yung "tang" nya di pantay...sa pagputol ba ang cause nito? Please refer to the tom anderson fret pictures above...yung perfect "T" on all frets...Or imposible talaga ang perfect refret?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 12:54:48 AM by jeo »
>Use your ears, dont worry about the hype!>"Not everything that counts can be measured and not everything you can measure counts">TECHNIQUE is in the FINGERS & TONE is more in the GEAR>HIYAW, if you didnt get it, its your problem not mine>killed ur killer

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2013, 07:07:07 AM »
Halos lahat ng naparefret kung guitar may ilang frets di lapat ng pantay sa fretboard tapos parang habulin sa pagcrown na lang(napakaselan ko). I mean yung "tang" nya di pantay...sa pagputol ba ang cause nito? Please refer to the tom anderson fret pictures above...yung perfect "T" on all frets...Or imposible talaga ang perfect refret?

Possible ang perfect na refret. Nasa pagputol, preparation, hanggang pagwork na yun sa fretwires. Tamang ingat, OC level, at attention to detail lang ang kailangan.

Offline julsam

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2013, 11:00:02 PM »
got my old greco strat refretted with jumbo stewmacs

Online ibbyboy02

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2013, 02:11:39 AM »

RG721RW rounded premium frets.
Dat frets.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Paradigm Shift

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2013, 09:40:10 AM »

not sure what you mean about the fret tangs.

but getting a good fretjob, its a combination of tools/materials and patience, you/your luthier/tech should have both..

tools: your cutters should be sharp and well maintained
material: fretwire should be of good quality, the cheap stuff works but if you use good quality fretwires you'll get more in terms of quality and fret life

patience: in using your tools and working on the frets.

there's some members here have really good looking fretjob, like r_chino, you can get a really good FJ from chino  :idea:

anyway there's some builders/factories that have different ways in working with frets, some of the builders i know in cebu dont want to glue their frets, im against that so i tell them anyway.

all j.customs/prestiges, suhrs, tom andersons, warriors, usa peavey's, fender jacksons probably most usa stuff have glue'd frets.

i only noticed in the mic ibbys the fireman 100tr having glued frets.