hulika

Author Topic: Recommended studio monitor below 10k  (Read 2989 times)

Offline ennaig07

Recommended studio monitor below 10k
« on: November 10, 2013, 07:57:15 PM »
Hi, ano pong marerecommend ninyong monitor that is not more than 10k pair? Im into electronic dance music and my DAW is Fl studio. Since, first time ko po magsetup ng home studio, hingi po sana ako ng mga suggestions na brand ng monitor for mixing dance music.

Maraming salamat po :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 10:48:37 PM by ennaig07 »
The best way to go up, is to go down...

Offline channel

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus

Offline ennaig07

Re: Recommended studio monitor below 10k
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 01:02:40 PM »
These are nice. You may get them from www.channel.com.ph

http://channel.com.ph/product/MEDIAONE-BT5/SNSMSNAA0004206/?main_cate_no=ACABAA00&display_group=1

Been eyeing this one too sir/mam. :) wala po ba kayong christmas discount? hehehe :-D

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 09:32:50 AM »
Word of advise when looking at monitors... prices posted are often for single monitors. You would like to get them in PAIRS.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 11:50:54 AM »
^ Thanks. I haven't noticed that.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 03:03:12 PM »
Samson MediaOne are multimedia speakers. I think they're voiced differently from actual studio montors. More of general purpose ang multimedia speakers. They go for 9,990php (pair) at Audiophile.

If you can stretch your budget, there's the Samson Resolv SE5 (70 Watts w/ 5"speakers). These are studio monitors. They go for 13,580php (pair).

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 06:59:44 PM »
The important question not being asked here is how often will these speakers be used for actual monitoring. I had the same question a few years ago. All I could afford at the time was the MediaOne 5a. I got that with serious doubts about accuracy, flatness of response and all that. However, the reality of the matter was that the speakers spent maybe around 95% of its existence in my house for music and video playback, as well as for gaming. Actual recording and mixing is actually a rare occasion for me. I ended up with a REALLY good buy, after all. And when I did do some audio work (mostly academic-related), never did I say, ummm... these speakers don't sound accurate.

If your speakers are meant for a dedicated DAW, then sure, I think going ahead with a pair of Resolvs could be better (but I'm guessing by not as much as one would typically hope). Otherwise, MediaOnes are awesome. But I'd get those BT5's. Bluetooth connectivity could be very useful for mobile phones and tablets.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline ennaig07

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 01:01:58 PM »
Thank you po sa mga nagreply at nag share ng info..

Hmmm, na convince po ako na mediaone is kind of multimedia speakers, may nabasa akong review na hindi daw "100%" accurate ang output, at base din po sa mga sagot ninyo.
Ngayon po, tinitignan ko yung resolv 65a at SE5. Any thoughts mga master?

Salamat po ulit

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 03:11:42 PM »
I haven't heard SE5, only the 65a. I think it sounds clear enough to achieve good mixes. I perceive some spike in the 80-100hz, but maybe it's just my non-tuned room.

Since "100% accurate output" is something you can't really achieve in a non-tuned room (e.g. your bedroom), I think you should consider just getting used to any studio-grade monitor. You just have to learn to adjust your hearing by comparing with reference recordings and/or use of several monitors, including headphones.

If you are open to used monitors, KRK Rokit 5 has good reviews. I have a used one for sale for 8k: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=291810
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline ennaig07

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 10:20:44 PM »
I haven't heard SE5, only the 65a. I think it sounds clear enough to achieve good mixes. I perceive some spike in the 80-100hz, but maybe it's just my non-tuned room.

Since "100% accurate output" is something you can't really achieve in a non-tuned room (e.g. your bedroom), I think you should consider just getting used to any studio-grade monitor. You just have to learn to adjust your hearing by comparing with reference recordings and/or use of several monitors, including headphones.

If you are open to used monitors, KRK Rokit 5 has good reviews. I have a used one for sale for 8k: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=291810

What do you mean "spike" sir?
Ive seen your post sir and im considering it since krk is a professional brand for studio monitors. :)

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 12:25:15 AM »
What do you mean "spike" sir?
Ive seen your post sir and im considering it since krk is a professional brand for studio monitors. :)

Spike as in parang malakas yung frequencies na yun. Pero I said na baka room ko lang yung nagpaspike.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 10:08:55 AM »
That's why sometimes I think it doesn't matter here at home if my speakers I'm using as monitors have a super flat response. I'm not going to spend so much money for acoustic treatment for a room that's not dedicated for audio, anyway.

(Pero pinag-isipan kong bilhin yung KRK's mo dati, inigo, lol...)

Offline ennaig07

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 08:14:45 PM »
Spike as in parang malakas yung frequencies na yun. Pero I said na baka room ko lang yung nagpaspike.

Oh, I see. thinking over your KRK sir. Ayan pati si sir Al interested na.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 10:06:10 AM »
Matagal ko na nakita yung ad niya. Don't worry, if I was really serious about it, matagal nang nabili yan, lol.

Offline in_the_tent

• Philmusicus Addictus
"The Lord is my Song.."

Offline in_the_tent

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 11:55:50 AM »
The important question not being asked here is how often will these speakers be used for actual monitoring. I had the same question a few years ago. All I could afford at the time was the MediaOne 5a. I got that with serious doubts about accuracy, flatness of response and all that. However, the reality of the matter was that the speakers spent maybe around 95% of its existence in my house for music and video playback, as well as for gaming. Actual recording and mixing is actually a rare occasion for me. I ended up with a REALLY good buy, after all. And when I did do some audio work (mostly academic-related), never did I say, ummm... these speakers don't sound accurate.

If your speakers are meant for a dedicated DAW, then sure, I think going ahead with a pair of Resolvs could be better (but I'm guessing by not as much as one would typically hope). Otherwise, MediaOnes are awesome. But I'd get those BT5's. Bluetooth connectivity could be very useful for mobile phones and tablets.
mismo to ser
"The Lord is my Song.."