hulika

Author Topic: Chikungunya Virus! Musicians Beware  (Read 2893 times)

Offline musicismymedicine

Chikungunya Virus! Musicians Beware
« on: August 05, 2013, 08:57:14 PM »
Hello to all! I'm a general practitioner / guitarist and just to warn you fellow musicians about this new virus that can affect your playing! If you've been watching the news lately, you know that cases of chikungunya are rising in the Philippines attributed to the rainy season. The virus is similar to dengue as it is brought about a mosquito bite and also presents with fever, rash, headache...in contrast, it rarely causes bleeding or death..whats bothering me is that it causes SEVERE JOINT PAIN similar to arthritis. Even when the fever and rash resolves, the joint pain can last for weeks-months. Never really paid much attention to it until I got infected. Its been a month since I last had the fever but the joints on my fingers are continuously under excruciating pain even with minimal pressure. I can't pay like I used to coz of the pain, huge loss in dexterity, speed and finger strength! It's hard for me to pull off solos or strike those chords which require a bit of finger-stretch.  HASSLE-HOFF! Tip ko lang is cyempre get rid of stagnant water in your houses, use insect repellants, and dont play ur instrument if u are susected of having the virus (it affects the joints that u use when ure sick), lastly cyempre, go to your doctor. Friendly advise lang mga sir/maam, Ingat!!!!

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Chikungunya Virus! Musicians Beware
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 10:13:42 PM »
Oh my! :-o

Thanks for the heads-up.

Offline jepbueno

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 10:20:56 PM »
Meron yata ako nito. Tapos na ang fever and rash (may kasabay na joint pain) which lasted for a week. I was all red then, whole body. Ngayon joint pain na lang and that was 2 weeks ago or more. Tolerable na joint pains ko and wala na rin talagang headaches or rashes whatsoever pero nakakabadtrip pa rin ang joint pain.

Kumusta ka TS?

Iba pa ba ito sa Scarlet Fever?

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 10:50:40 PM »
Meron yata ako nito. Tapos na ang fever and rash (may kasabay na joint pain) which lasted for a week. I was all red then, whole body. Ngayon joint pain na lang and that was 2 weeks ago or more. Tolerable na joint pains ko and wala na rin talagang headaches or rashes whatsoever pero nakakabadtrip pa rin ang joint pain.

Kumusta ka TS?

Iba pa ba ito sa Scarlet Fever?

yeh baka tinamaan ka din pards, hassle tlga yan. iba pa yung scarlet fever, bacteria nagcacause nun and associated with sore throat/ tonsillitis. hirap tumugtog! LAMOK= SALOT!!

Offline jepbueno

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 11:00:36 PM »
yeh baka tinamaan ka din pards, hassle tlga yan. iba pa yung scarlet fever, bacteria nagcacause nun and associated with sore throat/ tonsillitis. hirap tumugtog! LAMOK= SALOT!!

Meron ka ba? Hirap nga ako bumuhat ng LP ng isang kamay! haha

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 11:07:13 PM »
Meron ka ba? Hirap nga ako bumuhat ng LP ng isang kamay! haha

nagkaroon ako last month pero sakit pa din til now fingers and wrists! dati nko hirap bumuhat ng LP ng isang kamay, bigat eh hehe :-D

Offline jepbueno

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 11:17:54 PM »
nagkaroon ako last month pero sakit pa din til now fingers and wrists! dati nko hirap bumuhat ng LP ng isang kamay, bigat eh hehe :-D

Kumusta ang level ng sakit? Grabe pa ba? Kasi sakin noong gumaling ako, mga 1 week nawala ang pain sa joints, then nagkaroon uli. pero no fever, etc. Nagpacheck ka na ba?

Oo nga yung scarlet, sa streptoccocci na bacteria. Nalitoako kasi pareho, wala lang sore throat.

Offline fretboard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 09:37:41 AM »
Hello to all! I'm a general practitioner / guitarist and just to warn you fellow musicians about this new virus that can affect your playing! If you've been watching the news lately, you know that cases of chikungunya are rising in the Philippines attributed to the rainy season. The virus is similar to dengue as it is brought about a mosquito bite and also presents with fever, rash, headache...in contrast, it rarely causes bleeding or death..whats bothering me is that it causes SEVERE JOINT PAIN similar to arthritis. Even when the fever and rash resolves, the joint pain can last for weeks-months. Never really paid much attention to it until I got infected. Its been a month since I last had the fever but the joints on my fingers are continuously under excruciating pain even with minimal pressure. I can't pay like I used to coz of the pain, huge loss in dexterity, speed and finger strength! It's hard for me to pull off solos or strike those chords which require a bit of finger-stretch.  HASSLE-HOFF! Tip ko lang is cyempre get rid of stagnant water in your houses, use insect repellants, and dont play ur instrument if u are susected of having the virus (it affects the joints that u use when ure sick), lastly cyempre, go to your doctor. Friendly advise lang mga sir/maam, Ingat!!!!

salamat
try mo kayang kalabitin baka tumunog...

Offline goth_thug14

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 12:07:32 AM »
yung kapatid ko na taga UST nadale neto kelan lang..

Offline Barronster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 01:56:13 PM »
Wife ko nagkaroon din neto, almost 2 mos bago mag subside yung mga muscle pains... tsk tsk

Offline cjsantos

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 02:07:55 PM »
Meron din akong kilalang meron nito, medyo nakakatakot dahil recurring ang dengue-like signs. Though it is not deadly as dengue. Sadly, walang cure dito so ingat po
There is no cure for the disease. Treatment is focused on relieving the symptoms.
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs327/en/