hulika

Author Topic: where to go in Cebu?  (Read 2076 times)

Offline franzdean

• Forum Fanatic
where to go in Cebu?
« on: February 19, 2014, 09:49:58 AM »
Is there an existing thread like this? I saw none in search tab, even in the first few upto 20 pages of GC...

I am actually starting this thread because my girlfriend is going to Cebu. I asked her to look for uke in there (for souvenir) since I've been gassing for ukes. But I'm not just asking for a regular Cebu made instruments, but a range from their highest quality to above entry level (kinds/name of store). I've been to Cebu, but never had chance to roam around for the guitar makers.

There are names I found on the first page on google...

1. Ferangeli - They make high ends up to 40,000 pesos worth of value of guitar depends on the material. (my first choice so far)
http://www.ferangeliguitar.com/  :-D

2. Alegre - I don't think there's a website... but there's a foreign blog about this where the blogger got a bargain price of $350 acoustic guitar from $500. They even have some worth up to $1000  (made me think a lot though  <_<)
http://topspottravel.com/the-quest-for-the-perfect-guitar-in-the-philippines/

3. Susing - also mentioned in the blog as the second known guitar maker.

Please help me sirs! Help me(my girlfriend) spot the places to go in Cebu. One thing though... I do not have a 20,000 to buy ukelele... I'd rather buy western branded ones if that will be my budget. I am buying for souvenir + uke gas.

Thanks in advance
And baby if I need to, yeah I will keep you in the corner of my eye...

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: where to go in Cebu?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 10:51:50 AM »
You can't go wrong with ferangeli.
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline franzdean

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 12:18:21 PM »
You can't go wrong with ferangeli.

yeah all narra body uke will be 7,500 pesos. If it can be bargained with a + hardcase it will be a good deal. New to ukes though... I dunno how a narra body will sound like...

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 12:32:38 PM »
I've heard that mango wood used as backwood would be good sounding din daw. Some Hawaiian ukes are made of the said wood.

Anyway, I also heard some good reviews about Susing's. I never heard of Alegre though. Just make sure to visit them na lang. Kasi some of those sold in Cebu are just for souvenir sake.
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline voldemort

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 12:57:32 PM »
we have an Alegre uke somewhere in our house, a sort of an introduction to music for my youngest brother. they bought it this year, months before the unfortunate earthquake.

my verdict: stay away, might as well contact some sellers in the FS section.
makalyo ang daliri

Offline franzdean

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 01:11:09 PM »
I've heard that mango wood used as backwood would be good sounding din daw. Some Hawaiian ukes are made of the said wood.

Anyway, I also heard some good reviews about Susing's. I never heard of Alegre though. Just make sure to visit them na lang. Kasi some of those sold in Cebu are just for souvenir sake.

Exactly... one thing to consider is that I am not there to check the guitars personally... and my girlfriend is just into basics when it comes to guitars.

Must search susings :)

we have an Alegre uke somewhere in our house, a sort of an introduction to music for my youngest brother. they bought it this year, months before the unfortunate earthquake.

my verdict: stay away, might as well contact some sellers in the FS section.

hehehe, is it really bad? an okay Cebuano uke will do good for me...

there's one uke here in FS section but I guess it will be my last resort if I can't decide on the uke in Cebu... It will probably just sending pics which one is appealing the most.  :lol:

Offline starkiller

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 01:58:54 PM »
I vacationed to Cebu last year and had the chance to visit all three shops in order to scrutinize the ukes.

In order of quality, Ferangeli is definitely the best of the three.  Nakakatuwa, they have a PRS style doublecut uke, and the mango wood ukes have awesome looking grain.  They are also very good with their pearl inlays.  Better email/call them in advance to ask about what they have in inventory, and ask them to send pictures.  Madalas kasi, they take their good ones on displays/conventions.

I'd consider Susing's middle to low quality.  What I like about them is that do a lot of novelty guitars and ukes, ranging from Selmer style guitars (Django Reinhardt) to cigar box ukes. As with Farengeli, call them in advance if you want to look at a particular novelty guitar.

Alegre, I'm sorry, but I consider them low quality.  A painted fretbaord is a deal breaker for me.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 02:03:20 PM by starkiller »

Offline franzdean

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 03:13:36 PM »
I vacationed to Cebu last year and had the chance to visit all three shops in order to scrutinize the ukes.

In order of quality, Ferangeli is definitely the best of the three.  Nakakatuwa, they have a PRS style doublecut uke, and the mango wood ukes have awesome looking grain.  They are also very good with their pearl inlays.  Better email/call them in advance to ask about what they have in inventory, and ask them to send pictures.  Madalas kasi, they take their good ones on displays/conventions.

I'd consider Susing's middle to low quality.  What I like about them is that do a lot of novelty guitars and ukes, ranging from Selmer style guitars (Django Reinhardt) to cigar box ukes. As with Farengeli, call them in advance if you want to look at a particular novelty guitar.

Alegre, I'm sorry, but I consider them low quality.  A painted fretbaord is a deal breaker for me.

looks like I'm right about their business in Alegre huh? $500-$1000 worth of guitars... phew.  :cry: I feel bad about the guy who bought $350 worth of acoustic guitar.

Very well then my first choice... still my first choice, Ferangeli. I'll know if the business is not just about the looks and the money. I'll ask the guys there to choose the one which sounds best (with my price range) then I'll ask my girlfriend email me the photos of the choices. hehehe... then I'll let some uke player friends to try the uke so they can tell me about its tone. I'm a uke newbie.

Thank you! :D