hulika

Author Topic: It's Almost Summer (The Police/Andy Summers Appreciation Thread)  (Read 1460 times)

Offline tsunamic

• Philmusicus Addictus
Hey guys.

Sino dito ang fans ng The Police?

How about Andy Summers?

his Custom Telly?

Their History?

Keep em Coming!

Offline nitroaurora

• Forum Fanatic
Re: It's Almost Summer (The Police/Andy Summers Appreciation Thread)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 11:13:24 AM »
ako bro, influence ko sya dahil sa mga works nya sa The Police, ano na ba updates sa kanya ngayon? ang last na balita ko is pinag-retire na nya yung   famous tele nya and he's now using a red strat...

regarding sa tele nya, ang natatandaan ko is binenta sa kanya yun ng estudyante nya sa isang class for a cheap price...
songwriter silang tatlo, it just happens na tuwing mamimili na sa mga writings nila is madalas mga sinulat ni Sting ang napipili by majority votes...
isa sya sa mga naging boylet ni Jenny Fabian aside kna Hendrix at Syd Barret...

ito pa lang mga naalala ko sa mga nabasa ko...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 11:19:35 AM by nitroaurora »
Successful transactions with: Ryan Peralta, MarkV, Geloboy25, Teleclem, Tristan, Dhe (Dwelo_Axeman from PGT), Nickson, Jhule77, Robinissad, Zyehj, Roei03, Anyrandomhole, J3tayag, Samishellacool

Offline kernelsalonpas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 11:20:11 AM »
cool. am in. i love their phrasings sa mga kanta nila and the melody.
no pic, no advise...

Offline musicjunkie

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 02:57:51 PM »
Police fan here!

Magaling si Andy Summers! Great chords and solos!

I love the earlier stuff like next to you and truth hits everybody.

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 01:35:24 AM »
I was never a fan of his during their heyday.

It was only when I read a Guitar Player cover story that I realized how deep and introspective he is as a guitarist, and as a musician, first and foremost.

At first hear, his jazz roots don't seem to be that obvious in many of the Police albums, but then again, his minimalist approach may have been a result of that discipline.

Try to get hold of his autobiography: One Train Later. Got mine at a Booksale somewhere.

I thought Sting was the most 'cerebral' in the trio, but when I read the book, man, Andy blows me away with his sheer depth of thought.

I haven't read Stew's book yet, but I feel he's got a lot between his ears just as well.

Going back to Andy as a guitar player, I don't really recall him doing anything extraordinary that moved me, except for one thing...

How did he get that feedback-like sound at the beginning of Synchronicity II?
"No static at all ..."

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 02:04:27 AM »
Mismo, kumuha ako ng earth + sky album n'ya, sarap pakinggan hehe
hindi typical yung approach n'ya, kaya may iba siguro na ayaw sa kanya.

Offline musicjunkie

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 12:50:15 PM »
I was never a fan of his during their heyday.

It was only when I read a Guitar Player cover story that I realized how deep and introspective he is as a guitarist, and as a musician, first and foremost.

At first hear, his jazz roots don't seem to be that obvious in many of the Police albums, but then again, his minimalist approach may have been a result of that discipline.

Try to get hold of his autobiography: One Train Later. Got mine at a Booksale somewhere.

I thought Sting was the most 'cerebral' in the trio, but when I read the book, man, Andy blows me away with his sheer depth of thought.

I haven't read Stew's book yet, but I feel he's got a lot between his ears just as well.

Going back to Andy as a guitar player, I don't really recall him doing anything extraordinary that moved me, except for one thing...

How did he get that feedback-like sound at the beginning of Synchronicity II?

Read that book too. It was very interesting, esp how he described working with Sting. He was great observer of what was happening.

He didn't move you? How bout Dont Stand So Close or Message In a Bottle!? :)

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 03:28:09 PM »
Hey A!

Well, you have to understand the context.

When I said he didn't move me, back then, I was listening to guys like Pat Metheny, John McLaughlin, Al di Meola and their league, so...  :)

So, coming from that direction, you could probably forgive me for just ignoring 'this certain punk band.' Hahaha!

But going back to Andy, I saw some YouTube clips of his playing jazz with his trio. Pretty interesting.

Guitar-wise, I think he's coming more from a more 'textural' approach, much like The Edge.

"No static at all ..."

Offline mandoytz

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 03:50:35 PM »
POLICE / ANDY SUMMERS FAN HERE  :)

that guitar!!!  :drool:

Offline tsunamic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 08:26:58 PM »
POLICE / ANDY SUMMERS FAN HERE  :)

that guitar!!!  :drool:

Yes man, that guitar  :drool: I have a Fender Highway 1 2 tone sunburst lang. para andy summers vibe. :)

Offline Crisul

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 09:36:20 PM »
chorus!

Offline ianz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 12:17:12 AM »
ah yes!  The Police/ Andy Summers fan here! i really love his playing style (which leads me to appreciate various chorus pedals). besides jazz I can also hear some reggae flavor (imho). e.g roxanne. I read somewhere that he got his tele from one of his  guitar students.
"im your hoochie coochie dodong!!!"

--D.D.S  Represent--

Offline tsunamic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 07:56:39 AM »
ah yes!  The Police/ Andy Summers fan here! i really love his playing style (which leads me to appreciate various chorus pedals). besides jazz I can also hear some reggae flavor (imho). e.g roxanne. I read somewhere that he got his tele from one of his  guitar students.

Sabi nga. Either got it stock or heavily modified when he got it.

Offline musicjunkie

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 08:58:27 PM »
Hey A!

Well, you have to understand the context.

When I said he didn't move me, back then, I was listening to guys like Pat Metheny, John McLaughlin, Al di Meola and their league, so...  :)

So, coming from that direction, you could probably forgive me for just ignoring 'this certain punk band.' Hahaha!

But going back to Andy, I saw some YouTube clips of his playing jazz with his trio. Pretty interesting.

Guitar-wise, I think he's coming more from a more 'textural' approach, much like The Edge.

Ah kaya pala! Well he was one of my earliest guitar heroes. Pero I was into new wave and they were the most sophisticated band then (musically). Still he is quite inventive and his chords were very jazzy, right?

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 08:04:03 AM »
I like the older recordings with The Police, the guitar sound was very straight forward. I got a reunion DVD 2 years ago, his very much evolved with too much effects, not my flavor anymore.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.