hulika

Author Topic: The Baritone Guitar Hunt  (Read 1321 times)

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
The Baritone Guitar Hunt
« on: February 03, 2010, 10:54:56 PM »
(sorry mods if this has been posted before, but the search function always seems to be overloaded.)

Apart from the Danelectro '63 Bari at Lyric (kinda rough), and the PRS SE Mike Mushok model at JB (kinda expensive), do you know of any other baritone guitars being sold in any store around Metro Manila?

The hunt has begun! 
The Lord is close to the broken-hearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18

Offline jrpalomo

Re: The Baritone Guitar Hunt
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 11:20:13 PM »
ibanez has the new rgd series...maybe audiophile has them?

they have a 26.5" scale length
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 11:22:32 PM by jrpalomo »

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 08:17:04 AM »
Wow, I remember Robert Smith on baritone guitars!
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline cky

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 09:33:09 AM »
order ka nalang sa mga may shipping business dito...maganda ata fender baritone e...yung jaguar ata yun na baritone...

i also want one but then, no funds, no GAS this year... :-(

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 10:05:06 AM »
I asked around Audiophile and no one's even heard of a baritone guitar :-D.  And as much as I'd like to import one, I have to test first before I make a purchase. 

That leaves me with two choices: have one custom-made, or modify one of my backup guitars with a baritone neck.  What do you guys think?  Has anyone ever had a baritone guitar done with Elegee or Mang Max?  Which way seems more feasible for you guys?

The Hunt continues!
The Lord is close to the broken-hearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18

Offline cky

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 10:13:15 AM »
I asked around Audiophile and no one's even heard of a baritone guitar :-D.  And as much as I'd like to import one, I have to test first before I make a purchase. 

The Hunt continues!

:-o :-o :lol:

goodluck in your endeavor.... :-)

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 05:23:18 PM »
Anyone tried to have their guitar converted to a baritone?  Please share your experiences...

Offline magtataho7

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 05:41:40 PM »
bump lang. baritones have suddenly become very interesting to me
BLAH

Offline starkiller

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 09:52:01 PM »
Squier now has a version of the Fender VI, so this should be relatively affordable. Try to inquire at Yupangco
http://www.fender.com/squier/series/vintage-modified/vintage-modified-bass-vi-rosewood-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/

Offline pixelwise

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 11:18:07 PM »
I have the PRS mushok and i replaced the pickups with EMG 81/60. Sounds terrible. Ibabalik ko pa yung stock pups soon as i find the time, which i haven't for almost 2 years na ata  :eek:

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 11:00:03 AM »
Uy back from the dead. 

I eventually settled on a Schecter Omen-7 (26.5" scale, i think).  Ok naman, but the Schecter lost its "roar" when I replaced the stock pickups with SD Blackouts.  Nawalan na ko ng gana after that; sold it to a gentleman from out of town (Lesson: new pups aren't always the best solution).

Later on, I re-strung an old floyd guitar (25.5" scale) with a Dunlop Heavy Core ("heaviest") set 12-54 and tuned it B to B.  The HC's have higher tension than normal strings, so they don't flop at all, and feel like normal 10-46 strings when detuned.  No rattle, holds its tuning.  I highly recommend this solution for guys who want to go baritone on a budget, just make sure you have a luthier set it up properly.

Offline magtataho7

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 12:01:28 PM »
Uy back from the dead. 

I eventually settled on a Schecter Omen-7 (26.5" scale, i think).  Ok naman, but the Schecter lost its "roar" when I replaced the stock pickups with SD Blackouts.  Nawalan na ko ng gana after that; sold it to a gentleman from out of town (Lesson: new pups aren't always the best solution).

Later on, I re-strung an old floyd guitar (25.5" scale) with a Dunlop Heavy Core ("heaviest") set 12-54 and tuned it B to B.  The HC's have higher tension than normal strings, so they don't flop at all, and feel like normal 10-46 strings when detuned.  No rattle, holds its tuning.  I highly recommend this solution for guys who want to go baritone on a budget, just make sure you have a luthier set it up properly.

noice sir. thanks
BLAH