hulika

Author Topic: Lowering bass frequencies on a pickup  (Read 529 times)

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
Lowering bass frequencies on a pickup
« on: April 06, 2014, 11:38:00 AM »
I have an alder-body rosewood-fretboard strat copy currently loaded with Entwistle XS62N's.  The boosted gain of the Entwistles really work well in the middle position, but tend to be too muddy in the neck (and i've already lowered the pup all the way to the pick guard at this point).  My workaround is to slightly lower my volume when I'm on the neck pup (definition and chime come back).  It's just annoying to make these micro-adjustments.

Question:  is there something I can add or modify in the guitar circuit to cut the bass on the neck pickup ONLY?
The Lord is close to the broken-hearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18

Offline starkiller

Re: Lowering bass frequencies on a pickup
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 09:20:22 PM »
you can add a passive high-pass filter to the leads of your neck pickup.  a gentle 6db/octave rolloff @ 110Hz (open A string) would be good.  sounds complicated, but its just a single capacitor

you can use this calculator:
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/crosscalc.asp

input the impedance of your pickup and your desired high pass frequency.  then get the capacitor value  (capacitor for high pass, inductor for low pass) at the 1st order 6db/octave chart.

if i were a guitar designer, i'd make a high pass/bass rolloff "tightness" knob as a standard feature.  i believe some bass guitars have this feature.

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Lowering bass frequencies on a pickup
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 09:22:16 PM »
Thanks, this was the exact answer I was hoping for!  :wave:
The Lord is close to the broken-hearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18