hulika

Author Topic: Maximum neck relief  (Read 1401 times)

Offline inexperience

• Forum Fanatic
Maximum neck relief
« on: November 12, 2014, 02:09:29 PM »
I dont know how to put it, but here it is

For Stratocaster necks with radius of 9.5" to 12"

While the recommended gap between top of 8th fret and bottom of 6th string is .010" (0.25mm) ( with first and last fret depressed), mine has gone .015"  :idea:, just now. I really like the relief now, its just felt easier to play and I noticed more clarity on the notes.

My question is: Is it ok if the relief was beyond the recommended gap/height? is there a chance the neck might get damaged?
(my strat neck is a relatively new- 6 mos. old and truss rod is adjusted at the heel.)

Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 09:38:11 PM by inexperience »
"creeping deeaath"

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Maximum neck relief
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 10:15:41 PM »
That is why there is a recommended spec. Anyway, its your risk. Remember your dealing with wood not rubber
"If you want to play like the big boys, you've got to play what the big boys play"

Offline inexperience

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 09:49:20 AM »
That is why there is a recommended spec. Anyway, its your risk. Remember your dealing with wood not rubber

Alright sir, thank you, i guess i'll just increase the string height by replacing the height adjustment screws, nakasagad narin kasi.
"creeping deeaath"

Offline burnthyfret

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 10:04:51 AM »
seems that you're liking the "high action" caused by the relief...

might be "safer" to increase action from the adjustable bridge then to sacrifice a bowed neck...

just to add, I'm gonna guess na hindi consistent yun feel/action sa fretboard mo on the middle part tsaka on the higher register [12 fret pataas] caused by that relief.

Offline inexperience

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 11:24:42 AM »
On that relief sir i guess mas tumaas yung gap ng strings sa fret on middle frets kesa sa frets from 12th onwards but i havent measured it. But of course with the said relief, overall tumaas yung action and yes sir its easier to bend notes sa 12th fret and onwards kahit mejo tumaas yung action. Or its just a feeling  :-D
"creeping deeaath"

Offline starkiller

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 12:34:59 PM »
On that relief sir i guess mas tumaas yung gap ng strings sa fret on middle frets kesa sa frets from 12th onwards but i havent measured it. But of course with the said relief, overall tumaas yung action and yes sir its easier to bend notes sa 12th fret and onwards kahit mejo tumaas yung action. Or its just a feeling  :-D

Its not just a feeling. More relief = less string tension.  That's why its friendlier to play.
But do understand that lower tension also have an affect on tone.  Its up to you to find a balance that works for you.

If you like that less tension feeling, but want to be safe with the neck, there are many ways to achieve it:
- remove any neck shims and lower the saddles. this effectively lowers the break angle at the saddle, which lowers tension.
- remove strings trees. this lowers the break angle at the nut, which lowers tension.
- use slinkier strings. ex: ernie ball slinkys have less tension compered to dadarrios of the same gauge.
- and the most obvious: lower gauge strings

Offline inexperience

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 01:51:59 PM »
Its not just a feeling. More relief = less string tension.  That's why its friendlier to play.

Oh kaya pala, i thought string tension would be the same regardless of the relief and that the more relief the harder it is to play (cause of the higher action).

On the contrary sir im using dAddario 11s on Eb (siguro 3 mos. na), i usually use 10s, and didn't expect to manage the 11's but now im really loving it, maybe because i've got plenty of time to play these past days, at dahil din pala sa relief  :)

Dati din kasi i always set my necks to almost straight and the string to the lowest playable action. The new set up suits me better, but still i have to adjust the bow to the recommended spec gaya din ng sabi ni alvinratsim. Removing the string tree and lowering the saddles would reduce the sustain, so i guess i wont do that.
"creeping deeaath"