hulika

Author Topic: Tone impulses?  (Read 979 times)

Offline BFMVGitarista

• Netizen Level
Tone impulses?
« on: January 04, 2015, 04:04:53 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the world of amp modelling software. I've come across these silent wav files called "impulses" while looking for presets. I've tried googling about these, but I couldn't find any info, aside from them being a way to replicate a certain tone. Can someone here explain this to me?

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Tone impulses?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 04:28:03 AM »
Look into impulse responses on past threads here on GC, or google elsewhere. It's a good way to get realistic cab simulations and ambient reverbs. You'll need the impulse files, and a convoluter (or was it convolver) plug-in to read them and apply to your tracks.

What they are actually, feel free to correct me, are recordings or snapshots of the transient response of an actual enclosed space and how the instantaneous reflection travels. These impulses are then fed into your recordings, which should give you a close representation of sound as if you miked the cab yourself, or stood inside a recording space with your room mic.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline kirov

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 09:26:07 AM »
Sex is like pizza: there's no such thing as bad pizza. Sure there is cold pizza, pizza that makes you sick, unenthusianstic meaningless pizza, and pizza that you won't get a second time. But nothing will ever make you stop wanting pizza.

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 02:00:47 PM »
Redwirez are nice to begin with.  You just need the convolver plugin.  I've used Sir2 before by Christian Knufinke, it even works with audacity.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline BFMVGitarista

• Netizen Level
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 09:35:03 AM »
So, the term is "impulse response" and not "tone impulse". No wonder why I wasn't getting relevant search results. Thanks for the help guys. :D