hulika

Author Topic: Can you plug an electric guitar in an acoustic amp? or vice versa?  (Read 1763 times)

Offline deepblue

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Hi. I'm a newbie from manila.

Want to your opinions/experiences with "acoustic/electric" guitars, and the gears that they are paired with.

Questions:

1. Can I plug an acoustic/electric guitar in a normal non-acoustic amp? Would the sound suffer? Would I still get that acoustic timbre?

2. Can I plug a purely electric guitar in an acoustic amp? Would it sound as good?

3. If I use an acoustic effect simulator on my electric guitar and then plug it into a normal non-acoustic amp, do you think its a good idea?

I'm asking because right now Iam using a Yamaha 112 electric guitar (i play in a church band) and I want to be able to switch from electric to acoustic for softer songs. If I could achieve this without buying another guitar, or another amp, that would be heaven for me.

I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 10:05:19 AM by deepblue »

Offline greenweenie

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Can you plug an electric guitar in an acoustic amp? or vice versa?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 02:52:12 PM »
Pwede lahat yan. Isa isa:

1. Yes the sound will suffer. It will sound like an acoustic but not as good as plugging into a mixer/acoustic amp.

2. I've tried this. Ang maganda dito, medyo flat ang frequency response ng mga acoustic amp so you can use a modelling tool like a Pod or V-Amp and get a convicing sound.

3. There are good acoustic simulators around. Check them out - Boss AC2, AC3; Behringer Acoustic Simulator or the ones you find in multi-effects.

Hope this helps

Offline strummer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 06:46:05 PM »
experience ko sa non-acoustic amps distorted ang magiging tunog ng acoustic guitar. kumbaga may konting grunge. da best pa rin sa acoustic amp, or direct sa mixer. you can do this by using a direct box or a preamp.

for big gigs okey gamitin mo na lang monitor yung out sa non-acoustic amp (kung walang available, which happens more often than not), tapos rekta ka na lang sa mixer.

for electrics on regular non-acoustic amps, magandang venture din siguro yun. hehe. para kakaibang sound kumbaga. hmmmm... ano kaya magiging tunog nun? hehe

nway, you can't expect to replicate your electric's true sound kung acoustic amp. like the guy said, you can use amp sims like gdi21 and good ol' sansamps. good luck!
strum away!

Offline Avayaman

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 03:50:17 AM »

Questions:

1. Can I plug an acoustic/electric guitar in a normal non-acoustic amp? Would the sound suffer? Would I still get that acoustic timbre?

- sure. but sound would suffer since guitar amps are seldom clean. it colors a lot of the sound.

2. Can I plug a purely electric guitar in an acoustic amp? Would it sound as good?

- yes. but don't expect an electric guitar sound. eq for an electric vs an acoustic amp is different.

3. If I use an acoustic effect simulator on my electric guitar and then plug it into a normal non-acoustic amp, do you think its a good idea?

- hmmm.. it's ok, but i'd rather plug in the acoustic simulator into the PA.

*keep us updated, and good luck! welcome to philmusic too!!  :-D

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 04:07:57 AM »
Sisingit sana ako pero nasagot na nila lahat!   :-D

Good luck pre!

Offline deepblue

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 09:18:23 AM »
Hey, thank you for your replies mga pre. Can't even begin to explain how much this site has helped me.

The Acoustic Simulator Effect plugged into a non-acoustic amp is the option that I am looking at right now -it will be easier for our church to purchase a new effect kasi, as opposed to purchasing a new amp. I will also talk to some people if we can plug it directly into our mixer, wala pa yata kaming system for that.

I'll bring my guitar to the music store para masubukan ko talaga kung ok yung tunog, pero next week pa siguro bago mag-pasko. I'll post it here and let you know.

Again, thank you for your suggestions. Suddenly I don't feel so ignorant anymore, hehe.

Offline Avayaman

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 09:43:56 AM »
may mixer naman cguro.. kasi dun naka saksak ang mga mic's.. so you can plug straight to that..

Offline strummer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 10:14:44 AM »
if you intend to plug directly to the mixer the di box or direct injectin box would be your best option. ayus na yun. nway do you have an electric guitar or an acoustic-electric?

the di box works best with acoustic electric types
strum away!

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 12:11:28 PM »
"Can you plug an electric guitar in an acoustic amp? or vice versa?"

hmmmmm..interesting question....let me think....

why not.

nope...you cannot plug the acoustic amp to your electric guitar....its just not possible......UNLESS..you call your electric guitar your "amp" and your acoustic amp your "electric guitar"....then you can plug your amp (guitar) to your electric guitar (acoustic amp)........naduduling na ako.... :mrgreen:
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline deepblue

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 02:29:14 AM »
 :lol:hehe. sir phil, i understand the confusion, nahirapan din akong maghanap ng paraan panu i-state yung mga questions e.

anyways, just to clarify some things.

sir avaya and strummer, yup may mixer po, the problem there is it's distance from the stage. kailangan pa yata ng cabling and re-routing, yung mga nag-set up yata nun sa simbahan e nasa ibang bansa na. current setup is: all the mic's and one piano go directly to the mixer and heard through the PA, and then all the guitars are heard only through their individual amps (40 watters). Hopefully, in the future, we could re-engineer the system and add those guitars to the PA.

Wla po kaming acoustic guitars, puros electrics lang. Well, meron isang acoustic na Don Jon, kaso sobrang warped na yung neck kaya wala nang gumagamit.

Peace mga bro. Thanks.

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 04:33:54 PM »
Yes you can.  If you plug an acoustic into an electric amp, it would be necessary to have an acoustic simulator to get good sound or it will just sound like a cheap electric guitar going through the amp instead of an amplified acoustic guitar.

For awhile the only amp I had was an Ibanez Acoustic Amp and I played my electrics through it with an old zoom 505 and it sounded "ok" but nothing to write home about.

It doesn't harm any of the gear though.
Be well,

"Doc Rick"  Even when life is a bed or roses, there are still those damn thorns!!