hulika

Author Topic: Sessions at West 54th  (Read 1107 times)

Offline tone_temple

• Netizen Level
Sessions at West 54th
« on: December 17, 2006, 05:12:32 PM »
From 1997 to 2003, the National Public Television aired 85 weekly episodes of the most eclectic array of musicians ever to grace the television studio on West 54th, in NYC.  During it's later years, rennaissance man David Byrne of Talking Heads fame took over the hosting duties.  The show featured music in front of a live audience interspersed with intelligent interviews between Byrne and whichever musician was featured for that evening.

Almost at the end of it's run in 2003, the Pat Metheny Group played in one of the most memorable episodes.  The first song had Metheny playing his "Pikasso" guitar, custom made for him by Canadian Luthier Linda Manzer.  It was then followed by a jam between Metheny and guest, Charlie Haden.  Also in the show that night but not shown in this video was Paris-based singer Angelique Kidjo, a West African native whose music reflects her heritage and the American soul music that inspires her.

One of my most favorite parts of this TV show was the interview.  Here, you'll find David Byrne talking to Pat Metheny about defining the music process.  Even though it was very brief, this interview was filled with substance. 

Check out the footage....
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7456857526727345585&q=PAT+METHENY&hl=en

Offline blazinpnoy

Re: Sessions at West 54th
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 03:50:47 PM »
Damn I wish I was there to see Pat.  What a crazy cool looking guitar he has.
MUSIC - A conversation between the musicians and their instruments.

*Anyone from nyc want to friggen jam?...or start a band?* (serious or just jamming)