hulika

Author Topic: Technical Question: Combo Amp to be used as speaker cab?  (Read 1121 times)

Offline tackielarla

• Philmusicus Addictus
Technical Question: Combo Amp to be used as speaker cab?
« on: December 02, 2015, 11:51:54 PM »
The title says it all. So, is it possible?  :-)

I have a combo amp with 2x12 speakers, 16 ohms each. I'm planning to get a head and use the combo amp as the temporary speaker cab. I plan to wire the speakers in parallel to get the 8-ohm minimum impedance of the amp. Assuming the combo amp is off, can I potentially place an external plug that can utilize the speakers with the external amp head?  :roll:

TIA!
These aren't the droids you're looking for...

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Technical Question: Combo Amp to be used as speaker cab?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 01:28:51 AM »
Back when all I had was a Marshall head, I used my Twin Reverb as my cabinet. So yes, you can. Just watch out for impedance, power ratings, and connections.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 06:16:40 AM »
Assuming the impedance and power rating matches, it should work if you disconnect the speakers from the built-in amp.

Offline tackielarla

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 08:22:04 PM »
Assuming the impedance and power rating matches, it should work if you disconnect the speakers from the built-in amp.

I was thinking of creating a new female plug that will tap directly into the speakers w/out disconnecting from the main combo amp. I will only be using one amp at a time.

Will this work? And if yes, I won't be breaking anything unless I turn on both amps (of course), right?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 11:55:56 PM by tackielarla »
These aren't the droids you're looking for...

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 10:28:01 AM »
Yes. Have done it for years.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 02:20:51 PM »
I was thinking of creating a new female plug that will tap directly into the speakers w/out disconnecting from the main combo amp. I will only be using one amp at a time.

Will this work? And if yes, I won't be breaking anything unless I turn on both amps (of course), right?

It depends on how it's currently connected to the combo 2x12. Kung currently naka wire siya sa combo in parallel (8ohms total), pwede ka mag tap sa positive and negative terminals nung isang speaker lang.

Pero kung naka wire siya sa combo individually (ala stereo running both speakers individually at 16-ohms), you can't just wire the speakers inside in parallel then tap from the terminals.. kasi magkaka rpoblema ka naman pag ginamit mo yung combo mismo..

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 04:09:16 PM »
By the way, make sure to unplug combo amp from the speakers when you plug the other head. There may be flyback voltages present that could damage the combo's circuitry as you play through the other head.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I'd rather be sharp than flat.