hulika

Author Topic: Boss DS1X & OD1x Review Thread  (Read 11305 times)

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Boss DS1X & OD1x Review Thread
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2014, 07:28:43 PM »
Kindly check that I made no mention of Musician's Friend.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline vittobrat

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2014, 07:31:26 PM »
Kindly check that I made no mention of Musician's Friend.

ah ok po sir...will re-check it po...
The fear of death.
Make the climb; without the rope.
Then fear will find you again.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2014, 07:38:25 PM »
Mahirap pa maghanap ng nagbebenta. I'm actually only seeing a few alternative sources. Obviously, companies like Sweetwater and MF had first dibs with shipments. But I'm sure it'll be more readily available in the coming months.

Offline vittobrat

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2014, 08:36:09 PM »
Mahirap pa maghanap ng nagbebenta. I'm actually only seeing a few alternative sources. Obviously, companies like Sweetwater and MF had first dibs with shipments. But I'm sure it'll be more readily available in the coming months.

i'm highly anticipating these pedals...specially the od-1x... if its better than the
keeley modd sd-1, most likely i am going to purchase it...

sa sd-1 po kasi ako kumukuha ng push since i am always at the lead channel...
The fear of death.

Offline IncX

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2014, 11:58:27 PM »
what i liked about it aside from sound is availability. its easily replaceable unlike boutique pedals oorderin mo pa. i a/b'd it with ocd and gt500, i picked OD1x no bs. mas clear at mataba tunog at hindi compressed. totally another level compared to old od1.  ds-1x otoh sounded close to ocd hi setting, can do 80s metal na.  mas maganda na rin buffer nya.

i think it is really hard to break a boutique, or even dirt pedals in general ... so worrying about it "breaking" is just thinking too much. and the "cheesy" thing about boutique dirt pedals just being tweaked versions of classic pedals actually work to its advantage, that in the case of it being stolen or getting fried by something like a 48 volt power supply, you can just get a version of the pedal you are using.

i have something like 6 dirt pedals on my board, divided into 2 parts with a line selector. for my OD, i have a zim foxrox (channel A), an Xotic BB Preamp on the first channel, and a Lovepedal Eternity on the second channel. the reason i picked them is because they all sound alike - TS clones. well, not exactly-exactly ... they all have the same flavor. i think the Od1x plays in this region.

same thing thing goes with my distortions ... Lovepedal purple plexi 800 on the first channel and a zim foxrox rat clone on the 2nd channel. while they dont sound the same (rat clone and plexi clone for one), i can switch to both distortions without a noticeable change in sound ... that is the reason why i picked them, instead of getting 2 similar pedals. they have different flavors, but are within the same gain range. i think the Ds1x plays in this region too.

if those pedals get stolen, i have the option to look at the classifieds for plexi and TS clones, and my pedals would just be as readily replaced as if they were Boss pedals.

while i appreciate Boss pedals pushing the envelop and making their own original circuits... i would rather they make good circuits in the 7.5k php dirt pedal price point. but hey, given that those 2 pedals do the stuff i have in my pedal board, i just might consider them if my current pedals meet a disaster and i can get the Boss pedals cheaper. i wont pay 7.5k for them because experience has taught me not to trust Boss dirt pedals with that amount of money.

their last outing was a disaster, the Boss ST2 Powerstack, which was fizzy as hell while trying to play in the plexi, mid-gain subgenre of dirt pedals. i sold mine for 3K ... and for 3k, i can imagine people might just get BYOC crunchbox clones for something like 2k or less. im not even sure how much the ST2 costs brand new. and to think the Boss ST2 sounded great on the demos, which is a testament to how everything sounds good when you are using a good amp.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2014, 12:06:22 AM »
and the "cheesy" thing about boutique dirt pedals just being tweaked versions of classic pedals actually work to its advantage, that in the case of it being stolen or getting fried by something like a 48 volt power supply, you can just get a version of the pedal you are using.
I didn't say it was a bad thing (I'd never use a 48V power supply on my pedals, though). I'd never have bought boutique dirtboxes if I thought it were. It's just that I can hardly consider it innovation. I believe in that so strongly, I actually had an email exchange with Brian Wampler about it.

their last outing was a disaster, the Boss ST2 Powerstack, which was fizzy as hell while trying to play in the plexi, mid-gain subgenre of dirt pedals. i sold mine for 3K ... and for 3k, i can imagine people might just get BYOC crunchbox clones for something like 2k or less. im not even sure how much the ST2 costs brand new.
Unless I remember it wrong, the Boss ST-2 also cost $150 online back then, I think. Now it's around $130.

I personally didn't think the ST-2 was fizzy. Or at least if it did sound fizzy, it could be tamed. It sounded ok through my AC30. But it sounded really good with my Roland Cube running a Fender sim. It picks amps, but so do most other pedals out there, boutique or otherwise.

and to think the Boss ST2 sounded great on the demos, which is a testament to how everything sounds good when you are using a good amp.
And that is why I have stopped believing in absolute bests and worsts when it comes to gear, especially pedals.  Everything is relative with respect to the rest of the chain.

Offline vittobrat

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2014, 01:46:43 PM »

just bought an od1x a few days ago from yupangco...
almost 10T inabot..

just about the inside the amount i estimated using thf price from sweetwater...

i like the sound...

i added an equalizer to smooth out its signal...

the sound is tight...
The fear of death.

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2014, 03:37:39 PM »
^mahal bro. 7k lng kuha ko nyan
looking for badass guitars and amps.....

Offline vittobrat

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2014, 03:40:25 PM »
^mahal bro. 7k lng kuha ko nyan

ganun talaga boss...

enjoy naman ako sa nagagawa nya...

dynamic sya...

nag push ako ng ts808 sa kanya
and it was awesome!!!

bare-bones na naman ako sa next gig ko nito!!!

The fear of death.

Offline m_a_k

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2016, 08:41:22 AM »
Available na ba ds-1x sa yupangco?