hulika

Author Topic: Avant-garde jazz? any fans here  (Read 8291 times)

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Avant-garde jazz? any fans here
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2006, 09:48:58 AM »
ei.

Listening to Avant-garde has opened up a lot of things for me too, esp. liberating one from the harmony-melody connection (which is basically, European harmony). Pwede palang tumugtog as inspired by tone, patterns, rhythmic, ugong ng tambutso, uga ng kahoy, kulay ng buhok, etc. hehehe..

Something you can't do on the usual 8 measure solo spot sa regular gig.

I guess it's more of the 'probing spirit' that makes it different. Anybody heard of Keiji Haino?

Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2006, 11:22:59 AM »
I never thought someone would mention Jonas Hellborg here. Does he also qualify under this thread's genre? If so then he's da syeet!  :-D

Grabe, never thought of ever finding him! It's like being there on the country where he was playing when you listen to his middle eastern and east indian albums!

Avant Grade is just something else. Not for the faint of heart.  :-D
"Competition is for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2006, 02:38:33 PM »
I never thought someone would mention Jonas Hellborg here. Does he also qualify under this thread's genre? If so then he's da syeet!  :-D

Grabe, never thought of ever finding him! It's like being there on the country where he was playing when you listen to his middle eastern and east indian albums!

Avant Grade is just something else. Not for the faint of heart.  :-D

ei.

sirfrog, ung c hellborg hindi yata tao un. Saw him play on a video using electric acoustic ilan ba ung daliri nun?
Groovewise, he kills too.

sana me stations din na un ung pineplay, esp. during prime hours. In terms of Marketing, marami rin namang nakikinig dun, i hype lng d ba..
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2006, 02:43:38 PM »
You should see his other vids when he was still with Mahavishnu. Run this search: "Jonas Hellborg - It's the Pits!". I posted it 2004 I think.

I have his Icon album. Looking forward to buy more of his discs. For me, he's the Omega of electric bass playing.  :-D

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2006, 03:04:35 PM »

free jazz or avant garde requires maturity and patience. As all of us are moved by countless forms of music may it be its good melodic value or the depth of its lyrical content or the sheer techinicality of it. There are albums that seems that when u look at it in a musicians point of view you'll say wow that's some hard [gooey brown stuff] then u get inspired and then maybe in a period of time ull know how to play that songs. What i like about this music is that instincts tell u what it is and not the knowledge that we accumulated for years about scales and modes its like finding direction to a direction less road, we find are own interpretation of why is it like that or how but when u asked the one beside u he has a different opinion about it.Free jazz doesnt give answers they only generate questions 

exactly sir cyan: dats why i used the term probing.. if some of you are familiar with hendrix other performances, there were times when he kept looming around, parang may hinahanap and when it doesn't work out (perhaps his section was too limiting for him) he just gets frustrated and stops.

Jimiphilles may know this event where after a long while everything just keeps falling he dropped his guitar and just said "That's what happens when earth f****s with space".

Free jazz just takes freedom in its fullest, like the traditional mideastern music or indian ragas, where it takes quite sometime to buildup.

Sir frog sira ung search engine hehehehe...
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2006, 03:18:31 PM »
Sayang naman, tsk!  :?

Anyway, on Indian Classical Music, as part of their studies they are encouraged to improvise, something that I believe is lacking in Western Classical Music. That's the reason why Hellborg was attracted to it. When it comes to polyrhythms grabe ang Carnatic. Maka-sira ng ulo.  :-o :-o :-o :-D

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2006, 05:41:54 PM »
ei.

yup, ung search ng philmusic, error ung display..

BTW perhaps that's what brought the late Lane and Hellborg together? Carnatic and Indian structures, haba ng improvs. Kaya nga sigurado sira na ang mga un hahaha...

Now i'm listening to Bridge to the Beyond of John Zorn at Blood Duster from the same, Lupet.
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2006, 05:45:11 PM »
Ay sir, sa youtube po mismo ninyo i-search.  :-D Dun niyo makikita, e-hehehe!  :-D

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2006, 03:13:15 AM »
mga bro ok din tlga if avant-rock-jazz yung album ni zappa ng 'shut up n play yer guitar' hanep...hnggang ngayn addicted pa rin ako dun...kahit paulit ulit...di ko lam bakit trip n trip ko yung tone and line choice ni zappa :-D

Offline CYANIDE BOMB

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2006, 08:18:27 AM »

Keiji haino is also good i have his Aihiyo stuff and his solo work Nijimu pretty awesome.

Helborg rule's my favorite album from lane and helborg is temporal analougues just two dstructive songs hehehe

HEY GUYS IF URE GOING TO BUILD YOUR ALLSTAR FREE JAZZ BAND WHO PLAYS WHAT!!!! HEHE here's mine.

JOHN ZORN-Saxophone

RAVI SHANKAR- Sitar

PHAROAH SANDERS-Tenor sax

ROBERT FRIPP - Guitars

LES CLAYPOOL - Bass

TRILUK GURTU- percussion

BUDDY RICH - Drums

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2006, 01:29:09 PM »

Keiji haino is also good i have his Aihiyo stuff and his solo work Nijimu pretty awesome.

Helborg rule's my favorite album from lane and helborg is temporal analougues just two dstructive songs hehehe

HEY GUYS IF URE GOING TO BUILD YOUR ALLSTAR FREE JAZZ BAND WHO PLAYS WHAT!!!! HEHE here's mine.

JOHN ZORN-Saxophone

RAVI SHANKAR- Sitar

PHAROAH SANDERS-Tenor sax

ROBERT FRIPP - Guitars

LES CLAYPOOL - Bass

TRILUK GURTU- percussion

BUDDY RICH - Drums

ei.

+ 1,000 ke haino. ibang planet galing un eh.

okey my line up.

John Zorn - Saxophones
Bass Player1 (Fretless) - Steve Bailey
Bass Player2 - Victor Wooten
Guitar 1 - David Torn
Guitar 2 - Trey Anastasio
Alto - Anthony Braxton
Piano - Cecil Taylor
Turntables - DJ Shadow
Drums - Bobby Previte

poetry - Roxlee :-)

Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline CYANIDE BOMB

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2006, 03:10:55 AM »

+ 1,000.000 for Dj shadow hehehe

i recently saw Trey anastasio on the cover of guitar world with warren hayes
looks interesting  hehehe ill check it out

Why is it that there's no tribute album for shawn lane yet or there's something out already that i just dnt know??

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2006, 10:57:38 AM »
ei.

as far as i know, wla pa ngang tribute for Lane.

Trey Anastasio is one kewl guy, too. I love Stash and Ya Mar, among other Phish stuff.

BTW U heard of Triumvirate (tama ba) ? Sounds like an ELP tribute band but they're also good.
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2006, 09:22:57 PM »
Oo nga e, wala pa ngang tribute album kay Lane. Siguro super hirap lang ng mga ginagawa niya.  :-D

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2007, 01:15:21 PM »
ei.

super hirap nga.

Being the guy that had Billy Gibbons fall from his stool while watching him play and putting Ted Nugent in a spectacle on an onstage riff duel, Lane rules.

One thing on his album Powers of Ten though, I think mas maganda sana if he played with live musicians- instead of doing all instruments. Just my opinion, though. :-D
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2007, 02:54:07 PM »
Oo nga, 'no? Maybe he's just cutting down costs kaya niya ni-record ng ganun yung Powers but just the same, LUFET!  :-D

Yabang kasi ni Nugent e kaya yun!  :-( Si Vai dati nang-agaw ng video camera para siya mag-shoot ng playing ni Lane. Sayang talaga, iniwan niya na tayo.  :cry:

Offline drummer_boy17

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2007, 05:57:05 PM »
try ko kaya itong pakinggan... astig ba sila na jazz band?..
FLY FAST PHOTOGRAPHY: Click Here

Offline CYANIDE BOMB

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2007, 11:22:37 AM »

Guys like lane are born to be exemplary like micheal jordan and muhammad ali and tiger woods...hehehehe

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2007, 12:59:26 PM »
try ko kaya itong pakinggan... astig ba sila na jazz band?..

which one po sir?

Guys like lane are born to be exemplary like micheal jordan and muhammad ali and tiger woods...hehehehe

exactly.  ako kaya? born to be wat ? hehehehe...
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2007, 03:46:00 PM »
ei.

just updated some stuff and stumbled on the following tracks mga togs.

1. John Zorn Feat. Mike Patton - Leviathan
2. John Zorn, Bill Frisell, George Lewis - Funk in deep Freeze *live
3. tracks from the Album La Serpenta Canta - Diamanda Galas (Zorn was on some tracks too)

You guys gotta check Diamanda Galas, though it's not for the fainthearted hahahahaha! :-D
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline CYANIDE BOMB

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2007, 09:58:22 PM »
 hey ill check that diamanda galas thnx nancy!!! hehehe

also check out masada live in sevilla they tore the place apart and at the mountain of madness by zorn and electric masada. 

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2007, 09:07:15 AM »
ei.

sir cyan i was playing masada with frisell a week ago and my officemates were like
" ano ba yan? punebre?" :-D
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline CYANIDE BOMB

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2007, 09:22:57 PM »

yup nancy sometimes i also encounter those kind of reactions well thats life. Me i just listen to this stuff exclusively at home at least here they're used to it hehehe

hey nancy d u have the masada dvd i know there's one havnt got hold of it

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2007, 09:35:21 AM »
ei.

nope that's a rare one i don't know if sa website ng ECM pwedeng maka order, Paypal na naman..

We had a ball listening to Spy vs. Spy sa bahay, galing. Pwede ngang soundtrack sa 3 Stooges hahahaha! :-D

Just found out that Anthony Braxton can also play John Zorn Style, except he chose another venue in composition.
Soli Deo Gloria.