hulika

Author Topic: Power Amp for NS10  (Read 1938 times)

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
Power Amp for NS10
« on: February 12, 2007, 04:49:58 PM »
Hi gang,

What power amp would you recommend for Yamaha NS10s?

What we have right now is a Hafler DH-220. We've been pretty much ok with the Hafler (despite the excessive heat) until my engineer heard Sir Mike's NS10's then he started bitching that our NS10 was wimpy! :D

So we decided we'll to give the NS10 a new power amp.

Budget? around $500.

Salamat.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Power Amp for NS10
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 06:53:52 PM »
the guy knows that the NS-10 are very harsh by nature, right? THAT is why people use them everywhere because if your mix kills on the 10s, they will sound awesome on everything else.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Chito

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 11:40:23 PM »
For $500, why not get new powered near-field monitors instead. There's a few options that would be within your budget.   The KRK Rokit RP5 or RP8, Yorkville YSM2P or even the YSM1P, Alesis M1 Active 520, M-Audio BX5 are just a few.

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 10:32:50 PM »
ugly as they are, the NS10's are a challenge to make the mix sound POGI. the LF is on the NS10's is a challenge, too - we usually use it to reference the mid 2K and nearby freqs (+/- ). As for KRK's, I've concluded they are bass heavy speakers - I have a pair of V6 that has a scooped 2k.

Anyway, my research is leading toward Brystons. Ouch!

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 03:13:00 AM »
you could also check out midfield/ nearfield monitors. I am currently eyeing a couple of monitors myself as potential add ons to my system maybe in a year or so. The Mackie 626 and ADAM P33A are great nearfield/ midfield monitors that sound great and work great when you want to dissect really detailed mixes (ie, acoustic and scoring stuff) before pressing or bouncing to a master.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 03:34:17 AM »
... I have a pair of V6 that has a scooped 2k.

OT: sir, do the v6 mark 2 also have the scooped 2k?  don't have an RTA.  just curious.

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 07:37:54 AM »

OT: sir, do the v6 mark 2 also have the scooped 2k?  don't have an RTA.  just curious.

OT: re: KRK v6 Mark2. I don't know. My V6 pair worked great when i was using them regularly - was my workhorse for 3+ years. It was in storage for a year. Then when I put them up last week - I was "where's my snare"!

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 09:20:57 AM »
OT: re: KRK v6 Mark2. I don't know. My V6 pair worked great when i was using them regularly - was my workhorse for 3+ years. It was in storage for a year. Then when I put them up last week - I was "where's my snare"!

OT: thanks for the reply sir. just got my v6 mII kasi.  still breakin em in.

your post got me wonderin kasi if i made the right choice.  hehe.  it was a choice between the krk's or mackie 624's.

guess it'd be great to mix with the ns10's if i could get a hold of a pair.  despite it bein extremely fatiguin to mix on, very harsh highs accordin to my friend who has it.  he swears he'd rather not mix on anythin else.  heard the thing used for the cones came from a tree which they've banned the harvestin of.  that ns10 must be a keeper.  sweeeet!
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 12:47:08 PM »
i think just getting used to the sound of the NS10's is the key... konting tiis lang kasi wala talagang bass masyado pero once na masanay ka dito , ok na ang mixes mo..  8-)
Music is art in sound...

Offline smarty

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 01:43:07 PM »
sir mike's ns-10 if i remember it right uses a crown power amp. dont know th exact model nga lang. and sinabi din nya nung workshop na mahigit double yung rated capacity nung power amp sa ns-10 nya.