hulika

Author Topic: How often do you use your second snare?  (Read 3381 times)

Offline imagine1150

• Philmusicus Noobitus
How often do you use your second snare?
« on: October 04, 2008, 02:27:21 AM »
I am beginning to like the idea of having a second snare....I wish of something different sounding than the ludwig snare 14 x 6.5 i have on my CS custom kit.I
am looking for suggestions,help.....I like for accents or a contrast.....

For now, i own an air snare,no specs....and just curious , whats your snare specs? yun favorite nyo...

For low budget . hobby lang to.tnxs.gud day

Offline smutdrummer

• Veteran Member
Re: How often do you use your second snare?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 05:41:35 AM »
looks fun to play to have a second snare.
kaso makakakuha ka ng hundreds of sounds from your snare depending on where and how you hit em.

favorite ko supra 14x6 tuned high
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 05:42:47 AM by smutdrummer »

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 11:36:48 PM »
I use two snare drums with my band, and I've been doing it for over a year already.  My main snare drum is either a 5"x13" Tama Artwood Maple or a 5.5"x14" Tama Starclassic Maple (depending on the venue, or musical requirements, or my mood), and my second snare drum is a 5.5"x10" Black Panther Maple, which is positioned on the left side of my main hi-hat.

My band's music is generally R&B and hip-hop, and I find a lot of useful applications for the second snare drum.  I can use it to simulate high-pitched, electronic-sounding snare sounds, which are often used on pop, hip-hop and R&B recordings.  I also find it handy for bouncier, groovier beats and quiet passages.

Having two snare drums also allows me to challenge and expand my creativity.  I can incorporate it on fills.  I can play flams on two different snare drums.  And with the snare wires turned off, the 10" snare can sound like a mini-timbale, and I can use that for fills and Latin-style grooves.

For more ideas, I suggest that you check out YouTube videos of drummers who use 2 (or more) snare drums in their setup, and see and hear how they use it in their music. 

Personally, I recommend having more than one snare drum in your set-up.  It's a welcome addition to any drumkit, it provides an additional or alternative sound or voice, and it can offer a broader dimension to your playing.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 11:38:37 PM by drumster »

Offline imagine1150

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 06:51:12 PM »
Thanks for the comments. really appreciate it.... i just bought my second snare; its a mapex steel snare 10x5 and a mapex double pedal p 380a sa TMS.

Nadagdagan na naman ng ibang tunog.malawak na diskarte...thanks guys

next GAS attack.....Ride cymbal.STAGG VB 20, ok kaya ito?

Offline musicianurse28

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 01:47:06 PM »
I use two snare drums with my band, and I've been doing it for over a year already.  My main snare drum is either a 5"x13" Tama Artwood Maple or a 5.5"x14" Tama Starclassic Maple (depending on the venue, or musical requirements, or my mood), and my second snare drum is a 5.5"x10" Black Panther Maple, which is positioned on the left side of my main hi-hat.

My band's music is generally R&B and hip-hop, and I find a lot of useful applications for the second snare drum.  I can use it to simulate high-pitched, electronic-sounding snare sounds, which are often used on pop, hip-hop and R&B recordings.  I also find it handy for bouncier, groovier beats and quiet passages.

Having two snare drums also allows me to challenge and expand my creativity.  I can incorporate it on fills.  I can play flams on two different snare drums.  And with the snare wires turned off, the 10" snare can sound like a mini-timbale, and I can use that for fills and Latin-style grooves.

For more ideas, I suggest that you check out YouTube videos of drummers who use 2 (or more) snare drums in their setup, and see and hear how they use it in their music. 

Personally, I recommend having more than one snare drum in your set-up.  It's a welcome addition to any drumkit, it provides an additional or alternative sound or voice, and it can offer a broader dimension to your playing.

Nice one bro Dio! I was actually thinking about having a second snare drum this past few weeks. Now, i found the answer! Thanks man. By the way choices are, Pearl Omar Hakim 13''x5'', Gretsch Renown Maple 13''x5'', PDP 805 10''x5'', and a Black Panther which I don't know yet what model :lol: And uhmm, I noticed most drummers who has second snare has small diameter and width. Does this mean that second snare is used to be tuned in higher pitch? Most second snares I see are Piccolos.

Thanks bro
Planning for a Band Rehearsal Studio business. Baka may alam kayong space for rent around QC area lang. Please PM me. Thank you.

Offline arien_drummer

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 07:41:25 AM »
Nice one bro Dio! I was actually thinking about having a second snare drum this past few weeks. Now, i found the answer! Thanks man. By the way choices are, Pearl Omar Hakim 13''x5'', Gretsch Renown Maple 13''x5'', PDP 805 10''x5'', and a Black Panther which I don't know yet what model :lol: And uhmm, I noticed most drummers who has second snare has small diameter and width. Does this mean that second snare is used to be tuned in higher pitch? Most second snares I see are Piccolos.

Thanks bro

Depende kasi, bro. Minsan, drummers need a lower pitched snare for accenting. Depende talaga kasi sa tugtugan mo eh.

Bob Bryar of My  Chemical Romance Had a marching snare which was tuned preeetyy looow. hahaha. ayun lang naman. depende sa gamit. pero most drummers do have high pitched axillary snares.

I have a 5x14 main snare and a 3x13 pearl maple piccolo snare drum as my second snare. I'm about to sell it though..

Happy drumming. :-D
beer and whiskey is very risky... :D:D:D

Offline mr. trigger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 11:48:07 AM »
my main snare. MAPEX mpx 14x7 maple snare. pag rock,alternative ang tema
:-)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

10x6 PDP. my second snare pag RnB and hiphop ang tema :-D

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 11:51:12 AM by mr. trigger »

Offline musicianurse28

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 06:40:29 PM »
my main snare. MAPEX mpx 14x7 maple snare. pag rock,alternative ang tema
:-)

10x6 PDP. my second snare pag RnB and hiphop ang tema :-D

Nice Snare Drums sir. Maganda nga ang PDP805 sa Hiphop/RnB. :-D

sir review naman sa 14x7  :-) What can you say? Mukhang maganda nga siya sa Alternative at Rock since malaki depth nya :-D thanks sir
Planning for a Band Rehearsal Studio business. Baka may alam kayong space for rent around QC area lang. Please PM me. Thank you.

Offline dolfmen

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 07:59:05 PM »
men magkano spot mo dn sa pdp na 805? kamusta naman and magkano din bile nyo ser drumster dn sa bp na 10 inch, mukang interesting, hehehe  :-D