hulika

Author Topic: chicken or egg?  (Read 3166 times)

Offline haringulan

chicken or egg?
« on: May 16, 2006, 02:58:28 PM »
a friend who knows im into blues music told me i should give it jazz a try.
i said im still trying to develop a taste for it
im in a phase where im still trying to understand blues music.
(i thought i understood blues, forums like this made me think otherwise :-))
my friend said with how blues and jazz are closely knit, jazz is eventually the direction i'll be heading.
we'll see...

but that made me wonder, which came first, JAZZ or BLUES music?
pardon my ignorance, but i think they are two very distinct genres
why is jazz often associated with blues or vise versa?

(not that its a contest :-))

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
chicken or egg?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 03:19:21 PM »
im betting on the blues. Its just so basic and raw like Adam and Eve in the garden :D
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline cofibreyk

• Forum Fanatic
chicken or egg?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 04:51:49 PM »
blues...how can u play jazz if u don't know the blues

Offline katzenjammer

chicken or egg?
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 04:24:54 AM »
Blues i think.. because many jazz books will open up blues as the basic of jazz.
It's not what you play, It's not how you play, It's who you are. - Aya Yuson

Offline toybitz

• Board Moderator
chicken or egg?
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 03:01:44 PM »
jazz was derived from blues.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
chicken or egg?
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 10:08:18 AM »
jazz drew from blues but not so much from recordings but directly from the well, through musicians and street performers as well as everyday people.

if you look back at the discography, there were dixieland jazz recordings before there was blues recordings. the first blues recordings were of female blues vocalists recording w/ a jazz band. that's why jazz purists sometimes insist nauna ang jazz. but they discount that blues was being sung in the fields, on streets, and in church before jazz was "invented".

Offline boyet

• Forum Fanatic
chicken or egg?
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 10:39:26 AM »
Quote from: deltaslim
jazz drew from blues but not so much from recordings but directly from the well, through musicians and street performers as well as everyday people.

if you look back at the discography, there were dixieland jazz recordings before there was blues recordings. the first blues recordings were of female blues vocalists recording w/ a jazz band. that's why jazz purists sometimes insist nauna ang jazz. but they discount that blues was being sung in the fields, on streets, and in church before jazz was "invented".

Blues music started it all. Pampalipas oras yan ng mga black slaves noon sa New Orleans para mailabas nila depressions at sama ng loob nila. It was said to be sung in the fields kasi mostly ng mga slaves noon sa plantations  nagtatrabaho. Music ang naging pinaka outlet nila at kaya tinawag na blues kasi nga "blues" nila sa buhay ang ineexpress nila. Eventually nag-evolve sya sa jazz. Kung iaanalyze mo ang form ng jazz at ang pinaka-structure ng chord progressions talagang blues ang pinaka basic na pinagkunan nya (I-IV-V) actually halos lahat naman ng form ng music dyan dumadaan. Yung mga chord substitutions sa Jazz mostly isiningit na lang yun ganun din ang mga altered chords.

I don't agree with those so called "jazz purist" na nauna ang jazz. Imposible na mangyari yun pwede siguro na naunang nagkaron ng dixieland jazz recordings before nagkaron ng blues records pero para mauna ang jazz sa blues :shock:  :shock:  :shock: and they call themselves "Jazz Purist"?!?! [-X Magtanim na lang muna sila ng kamote sa plantations 8)  8)
If it is art it is not for all. If it is for all it is not art. -SchoenbergQuestion: How do you make a million dollars playing jazz?Answer: Start with two million

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
chicken or egg?
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 10:58:46 AM »
Quote from: boyet
... pwede siguro na naunang nagkaron ng dixieland jazz recordings before nagkaron ng blues records pero para mauna ang jazz sa blues :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

bro, hindi lang pwede, like i said, yun na nga ang nangyari.  naunang mag-record ng jazz before blues. hindi un opinion, it's part of history.

part of the reason jazz was more popular early on is because it's dance-able music. malaking influence sa jazz ung ragtime and tin pan alley compositions, as well as the street parade music of new orleans.    

isa pang paradox: the first jazz recording where by whites (by Dixieland Jass Band). naunahan pa sila jelly roll morton and king oliver who were playing it years before these rednecks. (pero ang galing ni bix biderbecke! parang hindi puti!)

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
chicken or egg?
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 11:33:06 AM »
Quote from: boyet

I don't agree with those so called "jazz purist" na nauna ang jazz. Imposible na mangyari yun pwede siguro na naunang nagkaron ng dixieland jazz recordings before nagkaron ng blues records pero para mauna ang jazz sa blues :shock:  :shock:  :shock: and they call themselves "Jazz Purist"?!?! [-X Magtanim na lang muna sila ng kamote sa plantations 8)  8)

Yup the blues gave birth to Rhythm n' Blues (which turned into "Rock n' Roll" when the whites started playing it in the 50's) and Jazz.

Between the two of them R&B became more of the popular dance music of the African-Americans when Jazz got too cerebral after WW2  - you couldn't dance to bebop. Some militant black artists and writers like Wynton Marsalis call Jazz "African American Classical Music" - which in turn doesn't give enough credit to all those non-Black (or non-American) musicians who contributed to the music.

Offline jazhombie

Re: chicken or egg?
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 01:09:51 AM »
blues...how can u play jazz if u don't know the blues
+10000 :-D

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 10:44:38 AM »
As far as I know, the ding-ding-ding-dading jazz ride pattern is a rhythm rooted from West African ethnic music (Ashanti people of Ghana). So I guess there is a justification for claiming that Jazz is an "African American Classical Music"

Call & response in a form of chants gave birth to the blues.Mga ginagawa ng slaves habang nagt-trabaho sila sa cotton plantation. So una ang blues talaga. :-)
So Be It.

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 05:52:49 AM »
blues came first, but that doesnt mean it is better than jazz.they are both great genres.

jazz and blues go hand in hand......thank God he gave us the gift of music.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 05:54:09 AM by blues2death »
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline haringulan

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 05:34:33 PM »
for what its worth... i just bought a jazz bass and am trying to listen to some jazz right now.
im getting a kick out of "tribal tech" and some "dave weckel" stuff.

i guess i am crossing over...

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 07:59:48 AM »
blues came first, but that doesnt mean it is better than jazz.they are both great genres.

jazz and blues go hand in hand......thank God he gave us the gift of music.

i cannot agree more

william251082

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 06:30:29 AM »
i don't know any jazz musician who's in any worth at all who can't play the blues

blues came first and 'it's the greatest segway into learning jazz'- george benson

u gotta have the blues man