hulika

Author Topic: COPYRIGHTED materials. Cover songs included in an album.  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Extremist777

• Veteran Member
COPYRIGHTED materials. Cover songs included in an album.
« on: February 10, 2007, 12:20:34 AM »
Hello guys.. Not sure if im in the right category.. dont know where to post this. but anyhow here goes my questions.....

Say if you decide to cover a song (OPM).. different version and include them in your album... What are the things you need to know and consider? As far as I know.. foreign songs covered and included in a "Pinas" only album is fine... such as PNE covering CHOP SUEY/CREEP/HEAVENS DOOR.. For sure they didnt bother asking or walang means ng paghingi ng permiso. PERO.. when it comes to OPM being covered and included in an album.. ano ba dapat? Say a different version was done to an OPM song but lyrics are the same.

Any advice..suggestions.. input.. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 12:21:36 AM by Extremist777 »
777 posts and its over!

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: COPYRIGHTED materials. Cover songs included in an album.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 12:35:36 AM »
not sure. as far as i know, there isn't a very stringent set of rules for intellectual property in the Phils. in the US, you ALWAYS have to be wary about being sued for intellectual breach because it costs a lot to deal with as a musician. My friends and I have a running joke about the nature of intellectual property rights when we say there are two occupations that hate/ fear lawyers the most: physicians and musicians:) I am registered with ASCAP, the governing body for musicians and songwriters in the US. For starters, you could check if there is a similar group in the Phils so you can start looking into clearing your songs/ samples before recording it.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline soulshifter

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 12:41:28 AM »
Hello guys.. Not sure if im in the right category.. dont know where to post this. but anyhow here goes my questions.....

Say if you decide to cover a song (OPM).. different version and include them in your album... What are the things you need to know and consider? As far as I know.. foreign songs covered and included in a "Pinas" only album is fine... such as PNE covering CHOP SUEY/CREEP/HEAVENS DOOR.. For sure they didnt bother asking or walang means ng paghingi ng permiso. PERO.. when it comes to OPM being covered and included in an album.. ano ba dapat? Say a different version was done to an OPM song but lyrics are the same.

uhmm as far ass i know,.. you need to ask for permission from the entity who owns the copyright for the said song to be covered. kahit na isasample mo lang ung track you still need to get permission and sometimes also pay for royalties. ung sa PNE,... spoof un. not really considered a cover, that's probabaly the reason na ok lang. pero if they did the song in the same way as the bands that they spoof, ibang usapan na un.

usually i think the labels where the band/artist is under are the ones who ask for permission from the respective copyright owners of the songs.

Offline Extremist777

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 12:42:18 AM »
Thanks Abyss. Actually I did my research and as far as I know.. mukha wala yatang set rules nga when it comes to including cover songs in an album... I know a lot of bands in pinas who covers OPM songs and include them in their album.. such as Session Road.. Parokya... just to name a few. Pero i'm just wondering if they ever approach the original composer(s) and ask permission to have it included in their album

As for other countries.. Yes I am aware of the legal rights when it comes to recording a copyrighted material.. just not sure about how it works sa pinas.

777 posts and its over!

Offline Extremist777

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 12:46:38 AM »

uhmm as far ass i know,.. you need to ask for permission from the entity who owns the copyright for the said song to be covered. kahit na isasample mo lang ung track you still need to get permission and sometimes also pay for royalties. ung sa PNE,... spoof un. not really considered a cover, that's probabaly the reason na ok lang. pero if they did the song in the same way as the bands that they spoof, ibang usapan na un.

usually i think the labels where the band/artist is under are the ones who ask for permission from the respective copyright owners of the songs.

I know its a spoof ...the instruments/melody was taken from an existing song(s) written by someone other than PNE. Like what you've just said..

uhmm as far ass i know,.. you need to ask for permission from the entity who owns the copyright for the said song to be covered. kahit na isasample mo lang ung track you still need to get permission and sometimes also pay for royalties.

I remember QUEEN taking legal actions against Vanilla Ice regarding ICE ICE BABY.. and this was just the BASSLINES.

Salamat sa inputs nyo. Hope to get some more info. Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 12:54:05 AM by Extremist777 »
777 posts and its over!

Offline soulshifter

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 12:58:23 AM »
yup you need to ask din dito. ung producer ng band ko,.. he also writes music. everytime may magcocover ng songs na ginawa nya, he gets paid for it. i guess siguro ung sa PNE,.. they must have at least asked for permission,... the label/management must have contacted the artists concerned. since minarket ung songs. ika nga eh,..pagkakakitaan rin. lalo na PNE have become big and they do play abroad. so medyo mahirap nang magkaron pa ng legal ek-ek.

Offline Extremist777

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 01:12:50 AM »
yup you need to ask din dito. ung producer ng band ko,.. he also writes music. everytime may magcocover ng songs na ginawa nya, he gets paid for it. i guess siguro ung sa PNE,.. they must have at least asked for permission,... the label/management must have contacted the artists concerned. since minarket ung songs. ika nga eh,..pagkakakitaan rin. lalo na PNE have become big and they do play abroad. so medyo mahirap nang magkaron pa ng legal ek-ek.

Agree. Royalties are a must. Afterall pinaghirapan gawin nung composer(s) yung song(s).
777 posts and its over!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 01:15:12 AM »
PARI has been aggressive in collecting royalties so you might want to clear the song with the copyright holder. Also try to get in touch with Filscap on this matter.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Extremist777

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 01:21:05 AM »
PARI has been aggressive in collecting royalties so you might want to clear the song with the copyright holder. Also try to get in touch with Filscap on this matter.

Sorry for the ignorance.. but what is PARI and FILSCAP?  :-D Any links to these organizations/agents would be nice.  :mrgreen:
777 posts and its over!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 01:30:16 AM »
PARI- Philippine Association of the Record Industry. http://www.pari.com.ph/

FILSCAP - Filipino Society of Composers Authors and Publishers  http://www.filscap.com.ph/
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Extremist777

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 01:37:21 AM »
Thank you so much KitC! The best talaga kayo.  :-D
777 posts and its over!