hulika

Author Topic: Does the audience give a damn?  (Read 9924 times)

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Does the audience give a damn?
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2007, 12:28:46 PM »

At the end of the day, all these issues are non issues and certainly nothing to argue about. Gear is just gear -- tools to an end. Chops are just chops -- abilities to achieve an end. Money is just money -- not having it doesn't make one a lesser or better musician, and having it doesn't make one a lesser or better musician either. Money certainly has no bearing on whether one is a better person or not. No one has a monopoly on being a jerk -- there are rich jerks and there are poor jerks. Most jerks sit in the middle of the economic spectrum.   :lol:

It really doesn't matter whether the audience gives a damn or not, it's really whether you give a damn and if giving a damn makes you happy or not.

All told, it's a matter of taste.... and whether there's an audience for that taste and the choices one makes as a musician.

The inevitable conclusion: Judgments not necessary -- music shouldn't be the arena for pissing contests. Just enjoy the journey of discovery. It's personal -- kanya kanya lang 'yan.  :-D :-D :-D

Hell yeah!.. Well said..  :wink:

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2007, 12:34:30 PM »
Well, you can't please everyone in the audience.

Like, one part of the audience likes to hear your gear and stuff. Then the other part of the audience would like to see your guitar and stuff. Other audiences would only like to be there because... uhh.. they're just there and would like to listen to you.

For me, this explains everything. What type of audience are we most of the time?
Surf's Up!

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2007, 01:50:50 PM »
Lots of great insights and inputs... plus the obligatory troll or two  :roll:

Deacon Blues, maybe your thread should be re-titled "Do the guitarplayers in the audience give a damn?" to address the most oc of all categories...  :-D

As part of the audience (and bec. i'm also a gtr hobbyist) I love to hear whatever changes to the performance a change in gear contributes. Very interesting to hear how the guitar players optimize their use of a new/different guitar, pedal, or amp. Very interesting to hear them varying how they play the same tunes over time/different gigs... but that's just me... I go to enjoy the music and appreciate the bands' efforts.

Good point. But knowing that Deacon Blues chooses his words carefully, I think he was referring to general audiences, not gtrsts or gear enthusiasts.

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2007, 01:16:14 AM »
Wow, I never thought this thread would even go beyond two pages..

But it sure does feel good to see how the idea sparks that same passion (for argumentation and debate?  :-D) for something we all feel so strongly about.

In hindsight, I do realize how vague the question seems. I didn't really intend to zero in on JUST the 'gear aspect' of the playing,' although it seemed like a good variable to bring into the picture.

What I would've wanted to emphasize more, is how it appears that majority of players seem to underestimate - and even belittle - the 'uneducated' mindsets (maybe 'ear-sets' is a better word?  :-) ) of their listening audience.

But isn't this a rather unfair assumption?

And just what makes us think that getting a headstart in the 'tone game' is enough to put ourselves on a pedestal and think of ourselves as immune to all forms of disparagement or criticism. Tone, after all, is but a fraction of the totality of music, and granted that most people might not be as attuned to those finer elements, I do believe that majority still clearly understand and appreciate its more basic rudiments, such as melody, harmony and rhythm.

After all, didn't we all start on ground level at one point?

But I guess this boils down more towards the 'playing for yourself' vs. 'playing for others' argument

Or are we merely running around in circles here? ..  :-D

« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 01:18:14 AM by Deacon Blues »
"No static at all ..."

Offline the_jj

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2007, 02:03:18 AM »
i think it depends talaga on the audience.. i mean if we share the same interests with them,(gas and all) they'd really care..
My Own Epic Drama, My Own Scripted Page