hulika

Author Topic: multiple midi keyboards with Reason 3  (Read 1094 times)

Offline paparazzi

• Netizen Level
multiple midi keyboards with Reason 3
« on: April 14, 2007, 06:30:27 PM »
Hey Reason gurus, i'd like to ask for your help...

I'm running Reason 3.0.5 and have two keyboards - an M-Audio Axiom 49 connected to the computer via USB and a Casio keyboard connected to the M-Audio via MIDI cable.

How do I assign one keyboard to trigger a rack device and the other keyboard to trigger a different rack device? Say for example I'd like the Axiom to trigger a NN-XT device and the Casio a Subtractor device?

I have setup the control surfaces within Reason already. The piano keys on the Axiom are identified as coming from "M-Audio Axiom 49 Port 1" while the piano keys of Casio are identified as coming from "M-Audio Axiom 49 Port 2"

I've tried to right click on the NN-XT then I chose "Lock to M-Audio Axiom 49" but what happens is that I can trigger the NN-XT from the Casio but not the Axiom.

How does one make a setup like this work? I am able to do this in Kontakt but can't figure it out in Reason.

TIA
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 06:43:24 PM by paparazzi »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: multiple midi keyboards with Reason 3
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 07:22:39 PM »
See the bus select on top? Assign A to port 1 and B to port 2. In the midi in device channel selector, you can specify a particular channel from the controller, use the dropdown arrow to assign a particular channel to a synth. Use in conjunction with the Bus Select.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline demet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 02:26:51 PM »
sir KitC beat me to it.  hahaha...have fun buddy! 

question...why do you still need the casio?  I like how vintage they sound...but...hmmm...which reminds me, I have a very old casio(with the smaller keys)...I wonder....
check out my music at:<br /><br />http://www.myspace.com/medjazzproductions

Offline paparazzi

• Netizen Level
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 09:44:54 PM »
Thanks guys will give it a shot. Demet - I use the casio as a midi controller only; I don't use its built in sounds. I usually have the Axiom playing grand piano samples while the Casio triggers either strings or brass or others.

Salamat ulit :)

Offline paparazzi

• Netizen Level
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 09:32:03 AM »
got it to work! much thanks KitC and demet!

Offline demet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 01:13:34 PM »
honestly, I enjoy some of the old synth sounds of old keyboards...my friend jay and I have been crushing on some of the old PSR's.  the sounds are in some way so analog compared to some of today's synths.  it's a trip to go back to old school once in a while(not that all my stuff are really new school, just the way it sounds is enough to make me feel kilig once in a while).hehehehe :roll:
check out my music at:<br /><br />http://www.myspace.com/medjazzproductions