hulika

Author Topic: My BAMF Experience  (Read 3149 times)

Offline IncX

My BAMF Experience
« on: April 20, 2007, 01:59:31 PM »
To BAMF or not to BAMF? here is my experience. if you dont wanna read long posts, skip down to the summary at the end part.

-*-

I first met BAMF on the Boston Engineering thread. I am a typical end user type of consumer, so imagine my surprise that my current existing pedals can actually be modded to a sound i would prefer. i first contacted BAMF and told him whether he can mod my friend's DOD Metal X to sound like a Boss MD2 ... BAMF said yes, and i was very since this friend of mine really needed a better distorted sound to reflect the soul behind his playing. My friend however, wasnt excited the idea, so i decided to let myself be the guinea pig. I asked BAMF whether he could mod the following into:

1.) MT2 = thicker sound, bye bye nasal mids + thciker sound.
2.) DOD Death Metal = add a gain knob to stop it from feeding back all over the place.
3.) Snarling Dogs Bootzilla = give it a more voice like quality, and turn the 'low' wah into a psychotic, distorted talking wah.

BAMF said yes to all this, which encouraged me a lot more! ... i mean, the guy is practically superman; turn whatever pedal it is you have, into a pedal that you want only for 500php each! - just like turning lead to gold (as one poster described BAMF's work).
I went to manila in the last leg of january (im from davao) hauling a heavy bag of pedals ... the Bootzilla fuzz/wah weighs 7 lbs. so it is equivalent to carrying a heavy stratocaster... had a hassle at the airport, since they dont know what guitar pedals are, and things that have IC's are potential explosives.

I scheduled for an appointment at that time, and i was 30 minutes late... i was very embarassed at this point since i expected BAMF to be very strict and business like. After hiking the subdivision for awhile, i found the BAMF labs (its a house with cool dogs that i wanted to pet, hehe) ... and was surprised to see that there was no BAMF. He was still on his way. i waited for him, while trying to come up with a conversation with his assistants who didn't feel like talking to me. i was a bit disappointed since i'll only be in manila for 5 days. when BAMF came, he was a cool person ... not businesslike at all and is a very friendly guy (and plays cool surf guitar too). i showed him the pedals, but for some reason he was more interested with his current project, a half stack Fender (which was really loud, and bad-a**).

Finally he took a look at my pedals and commented:

1.) MT2 = i can do this in a few hours
2.) DOD Death = i dont have the schematics for this, i think i can do this in 2 days.
3.) Bootzilla = the fuzz is a fuzz face clone (i forgot what he said about the wah), and he can do it in 2 days too.

I tried waiting for the MT2 but BAMF was suffering from migraine, and some ppl came to have their guitars scalarized ... and all those testing and conversations took a long time, so i decided to go home.

After 2 days, i contacted BAMF and he said he's gonna need more time. After another day, i needed to go back to Davao the next day (in the airport by 8am), so that night i rushed to BAMF to get the pedals (my friends were waiting in the taxi) ...

BAMF managed to only mod the MT2 and im not sure what mod he did to it... i hurriedly tested it on the project Fender half stack, by playing 2 minutes worth of black metal, and hurried to get back to the cab... towing the unmodded DOD Death and the bootzilla. BAMF said something about the MT2's level, but i ddnt hear it anymore... i was in a hurry. i only have 3 hours to spend with my best friends.

Back home i tested the MT2 ... and was shocked to find out, the thing stutters.. i called BAMF and he told me "that's what i told you, the level tone in your MT2 is busted and i ddnt have the parts to fix it."  i was ... i didn't understand... the pedal was regularly used by my friend in my house before... and there was nothing wrong with it. i was really confused. but oh well, i just concluded the travel messed up my MT2, i mean, it was more than 5 years old anyway.

Soundwise... i thought the MT2 was STILL THE SAME. there's a part of me that said it sounded worse, but i wasnt sure, maybe it was just my mood and the feeling that my MT2 doesn't work the way before i brought it to manila.

I talked to BAMF about it and he asked me to ship it... and the DOD too if i wanted. so i payed for the shipping (DHL) and had it shipped to BAMF, at this point, i was feeling bad since i spent a lot of time and money that is clearly not equivalent to the 500 php + a few pesos on travel fees planned to spend.

BAMF told me to give him a week with the pedals ... a week came, he asked for another week. another week came and he asked for another week, but i told him, i had a gig the next week and i really needed two dirt pedals. BAMF told me he will send me 2 dirt pedals: his boston HM2 and OD100. it was really cool of him because i received the pedals within 2 days, courtesy of BAMF choosing and paying for the LBC shipment. I tried out the pedals and was blown away. My cousins were also blown away that one of them wanted to buy a Boston HM2 and have it BAMF-ed. my faith in BAMF-ed was restored and i even told my dad about him. my dad said its rare you get to transact business with ppl like that - ppl who would forgo short time profit just to gain a customer that would keep coming back.

A few more weeks passed, but my pedals were still in the operating table... i really didn't want to keep on holding the BAMF pedals, because i am afraid something might happen to them. i dont want him to think of me as a customer who takes advantage. 
by this point, i was already texting BAMF everyday... being kulit. i am convinced that the only way for me to get it back, is to remind him all the time (just like what i do when im getting a PLDT line, asking for shifting forms, installing a new water pipe... those business centers work faster when you call them everyday).

along the way, BAMF asked me whether i wanted to add a pre-bass on the DOD, to which i agreed. and that one time where he thought he was done but couldnt put the DOD's battery compartment back because it didn't have space anymore.

i always wondered why my pedals took forever... first realization was that:

the DOD death metal metal is not a famous pedal... most guitar players hate it. BAMF is not used to operating DOD pedals and for the record, my DOD death may NOT BE WORTH the research because hey, i must be the one and only who swears by this pedal.

2nd realization was:

my MT2 bakemono was the first of its kind.

regarding the MT2 BAMF decided it was a special operation so he told me it costs 1.5K ... i was shocked at this of course ... from 500 php it took a drastic jump to 1.5K ... i asked him whether he can give me a discount. and he said that since it doesnt have a prebass, he will charge me 800 php for it... i inserted the extra 300 php inside the pedal compartment, and shipped BAMF's pedals via LBC. it reached him in two days. he sent me my pedals back via EMS and it reached me after 5 days.

basically, i sent my pedals to him 1st week of February and got it back 2nd week of April. the whole thing took such a long time, that i seem to have gotten use to not have a dirt pedal. i have trouble reconciling that i have spent a lot of money and the time on the whole thing though.

i was so excited in unwrapping my pedals ... hands trembling. first one unwrapped was the DOD death metal with gain control and pre bass! ... as soon as i took it out... one of the buttons fell off. oh well, crappy knobs. i unwrapped the MT2 Bake-freaking-mono and, well, im glad BAMF-ed fixed the level knob... it didn't look attractive but at least im hoping it would work.

testing time came... DOD death has to be the first... i mean, it was my fave! ... inserted a battery, played a few notes... no sound.i panicked. after YM-ing BAMF, he said the problem was that the knobs shorted against the metal casing and i had to insulate it with tape. i did it with no luck since just like i said, i am just an end user consumer. for a few seconds, i managed to get the DOD to work by forcing the battery inside the compartment ... and what can i say? it is damn amazing! not only does it NOT FEEDBACK, it is a hell lot better than the all new digitech death metal and a lot more powerful than the old feedback magnet  DOD Death Metal. this would have been awesome if and only if, i managed to get a consistent sound. every time i turn the pedal on and off, a new sound comes out of it - totally random sound with each step of the pedal (not a good thing!). another bad news is that the DOD Death lost its clean bypass signal - whether you turn it on or off, you can hear the distortion. BAMF said something about forgetting to check Mang Raul's work.

i was feeling down ... so down...

oh well, i have to move on, time to plug the MT2 Bakemono... played a few notes.. couldnt' stop... played with the setting... couldnt stop playing still... got my bass guitar... plugged it in... couldn't stop. the MT2 Bakemono, ladies and gentleman, is an AWESOME PEDAL. Bass or guitar, this thing kicks major a**. i dont wanna sound mayabang, but the MT2 bakemono sound can kick cliff burton's distorted bass sound anytime of the day (even Lemmy's too). NOTE: before you flame, im talking about sound, alright? not the playing and the person. i have yet to do a proper review on the bakemono when i can get a new soundcard to record stuff to the PC.

there are time whether i think that my problem on the 2 pedals could have been solved if i just bought an EQ for the MT2 and a noise gate for the DOD ... but whats done is done. and someday, the bakemono would be worth it when i see ppl heads bang along with my distorted bass sound.

-*-

so to summarize my experience:

i have two pedals, i expected to spend 1K on both of them for mods and i expected them to be back in 1 week.

what happened was, i spent more than 1K on the pedals, 2 months waiting for it and ended up with one NON-WORKING PEDAL, and one AMAZING pedal.

will i have another pedal BAMF'ed again? ... Yes, BUT, if and only if i know there was a guinea pig before me, and i have a back up pedal of whatever it is i sent to him. BAMF is only human after all.

-*-

How can BAMF improve his services?

1.) Treat his hobby also as a business.

2.) Train new staff and give them schematics for the previous pedals so he can concentrate on nothing but R & D (i notice this is what he really loves doing).

3.) Decide on his limitations and tell them up front (i.e. you are from davao, i think you will be spending 700 php as opposed to the advertised 500 php per pedal, and you will be getting the pedal 1 month after instead of the advertised 1 week).

4.) work on a schedule and work on a DEADLINE. or better yet, get a trained staff to do the donkey work.

5.) Increase his rates a little as so he can give better services.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 02:07:58 PM by IncX »

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: My BAMF Experience
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 02:28:45 PM »
great review man. Lets not flame the person, instead lets treat it as a learning experience for us and for BAMF. These are valid coaching points that certainly can be improved.
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 02:43:05 PM »
yup, no flaming please :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 02:53:13 PM »
yup,  like i said before, let's not go back to the 'dark ages'. 

i salute IncX for being candid in offering his experience and thoughts in this forum.  he was also gentleman enough to offer constructive recommendations to improve BAMF's business/hobby.  if i was in BAMF's shoes, that kind of input is worth more than the cost of the mod!

since this is a Forum, let's wait for BAMF to share his side.  hopefully we'll all benefit from the intelligent discussion.

peace bruddahs!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 02:56:54 PM by deltaslim »

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 03:14:28 PM »
haaaayyy and sarap ng feeling ng walang flaming!!!
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 03:26:35 PM »
Much appreciated actually.

Like I said to erniebong once...having less than perfect results and unhappy customers is not a matter of what...it's a matter of when, and how many. Having been in business for a couple of years now (and I don't mean BAMFx/PIMP) I know this only too well. And just like in that line, I just do what I can...if there's a kink, I do try to rectify as best as possible. Kinks are inevitable.

As for your visit, if you noticed you came at a time when the scalarizer queue was hot and heavy. Working on pedals, specially a new one you've just seen will take analysis....even some quiet time. That kinda time was not available to me back then. I was counting on the "generalizations" I've learned from previous experience. And as you can see...there's only one of me. Buti na lang, some of my duties are being relieved by my friends.

Your DOD pedal was working perfectly when we packed it up. One of my interests is in the mail-order business...and it's anathema to knowingly send out a defective product. That will be your business's funeral. That's why I even knew that the DOD squeals like a pig, and had to adjust the values of the pots twice. And there was no space...I had to ask you pa if we were to proceed coz adding the gain knob and prebass will cut out the battery compartment. I spent money too on your DOD, coz I paid for Mang Raul's fees for it. Its innards were in shambles when I opened it up. The wires were all around, cut. And I did ship to you my OD100 and HM100 pedals to take their place while they were being done, on my own money. Well...overall dude, considering the money you paid, and the money I let out, lugi ako sa transactions natin. But okay lang. I'm learning new things...both technical and for the business side.

Anyway, just to show you that I do what I can, ship your pedal back in, and when I do a once over and fix it again, I'll be the one inserting some cash in your ped to compensate you for shipping. It's not just a business/hobby. It's also tuition. And it's a passion :D.   

My other interests have been suffering due to the time I've spent with BAMFx. In a month or so, I may have to take a break from modding or even perhaps give it up entirely to fully exploit the real cash cows. There seems to be good batch of modders who are up next to bat.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline edgarthewalrus

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 03:34:20 PM »
this is good.. constructive criticism kung criticism man matatawag..

this is written in a very pro manner

i'll have my mt2 and ds1 mod next time when i get enough money  :-D
http://www.hyneriamosssoundscape.wordpress.com
SOLD ITEMS TO foresight, yearling, dread_head, reggaenursenikew, ramnem, child309, dom_pag0ng
BOUGHT ITEMS harkanie27,userzeroone, morphine

Offline balta

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 03:55:25 PM »
nice! we need more brave souls like IncX and more accepting and open nondefensive people for this. Most of the time i really feel everyone here are playing safe and they keep whats really in their minds just to not "flame" or cause "flaming".
I know i am guilty of this hehe

lets build a more constructive society! hehe

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 04:20:04 PM »
nice post IncX  :-D  :-D

unlike the thread in Pinoydrums last nite with the dude Mr. Fouljan posting so much negative stuffs about our supposed deal yesterday. He just kept on mocking me because i cancelled the deal (Zildjian Planet Z Hi-Hats) and the whole truth was he was late for an hour and a half thats why i asked him to go to the studio instead. He agreed to go to the studio (w/c is 7pesos trike ride) but he demanded a 100 pesos more discount.

You know this thread im talkin about IncX.

anyway good to hear there are still people like you willing to give out a constructive review

OT: Mr fouljan i aint mad at you even if mocked the hell out of me. ill even buy you beer on monday if you'll attend the April Hazy Nights EB
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 04:30:45 PM »
To BAMF or not to BAMF? here is my experience. if you dont wanna read long posts, skip down to the summary at the end part.

-*-

I first met BAMF on the Boston Engineering thread. I am a typical end user type of consumer, so imagine my surprise that my current existing pedals can actually be modded to a sound i would prefer. i first contacted BAMF and told him whether he can mod my friend's DOD Metal X to sound like a Boss MD2 ... BAMF said yes, and i was very since this friend of mine really needed a better distorted sound to reflect the soul behind his playing. My friend however, wasnt excited the idea, so i decided to let myself be the guinea pig. I asked BAMF whether he could mod the following into:

1.) MT2 = thicker sound, bye bye nasal mids + thciker sound.
2.) DOD Death Metal = add a gain knob to stop it from feeding back all over the place.
3.) Snarling Dogs Bootzilla = give it a more voice like quality, and turn the 'low' wah into a psychotic, distorted talking wah.

BAMF said yes to all this, which encouraged me a lot more! ... i mean, the guy is practically superman; turn whatever pedal it is you have, into a pedal that you want only for 500php each! - just like turning lead to gold (as one poster described BAMF's work).
I went to manila in the last leg of january (im from davao) hauling a heavy bag of pedals ... the Bootzilla fuzz/wah weighs 7 lbs. so it is equivalent to carrying a heavy stratocaster... had a hassle at the airport, since they dont know what guitar pedals are, and things that have IC's are potential explosives.

I scheduled for an appointment at that time, and i was 30 minutes late... i was very embarassed at this point since i expected BAMF to be very strict and business like. After hiking the subdivision for awhile, i found the BAMF labs (its a house with cool dogs that i wanted to pet, hehe) ... and was surprised to see that there was no BAMF. He was still on his way. i waited for him, while trying to come up with a conversation with his assistants who didn't feel like talking to me. i was a bit disappointed since i'll only be in manila for 5 days. when BAMF came, he was a cool person ... not businesslike at all and is a very friendly guy (and plays cool surf guitar too). i showed him the pedals, but for some reason he was more interested with his current project, a half stack Fender (which was really loud, and bad-a**).

Finally he took a look at my pedals and commented:

1.) MT2 = i can do this in a few hours
2.) DOD Death = i dont have the schematics for this, i think i can do this in 2 days.
3.) Bootzilla = the fuzz is a fuzz face clone (i forgot what he said about the wah), and he can do it in 2 days too.

I tried waiting for the MT2 but BAMF was suffering from migraine, and some ppl came to have their guitars scalarized ... and all those testing and conversations took a long time, so i decided to go home.

After 2 days, i contacted BAMF and he said he's gonna need more time. After another day, i needed to go back to Davao the next day (in the airport by 8am), so that night i rushed to BAMF to get the pedals (my friends were waiting in the taxi) ...

BAMF managed to only mod the MT2 and im not sure what mod he did to it... i hurriedly tested it on the project Fender half stack, by playing 2 minutes worth of black metal, and hurried to get back to the cab... towing the unmodded DOD Death and the bootzilla. BAMF said something about the MT2's level, but i ddnt hear it anymore... i was in a hurry. i only have 3 hours to spend with my best friends.

Back home i tested the MT2 ... and was shocked to find out, the thing stutters.. i called BAMF and he told me "that's what i told you, the level tone in your MT2 is busted and i ddnt have the parts to fix it."  i was ... i didn't understand... the pedal was regularly used by my friend in my house before... and there was nothing wrong with it. i was really confused. but oh well, i just concluded the travel messed up my MT2, i mean, it was more than 5 years old anyway.

Soundwise... i thought the MT2 was STILL THE SAME. there's a part of me that said it sounded worse, but i wasnt sure, maybe it was just my mood and the feeling that my MT2 doesn't work the way before i brought it to manila.

I talked to BAMF about it and he asked me to ship it... and the DOD too if i wanted. so i payed for the shipping (DHL) and had it shipped to BAMF, at this point, i was feeling bad since i spent a lot of time and money that is clearly not equivalent to the 500 php + a few pesos on travel fees planned to spend.

BAMF told me to give him a week with the pedals ... a week came, he asked for another week. another week came and he asked for another week, but i told him, i had a gig the next week and i really needed two dirt pedals. BAMF told me he will send me 2 dirt pedals: his boston HM2 and OD100. it was really cool of him because i received the pedals within 2 days, courtesy of BAMF choosing and paying for the LBC shipment. I tried out the pedals and was blown away. My cousins were also blown away that one of them wanted to buy a Boston HM2 and have it BAMF-ed. my faith in BAMF-ed was restored and i even told my dad about him. my dad said its rare you get to transact business with ppl like that - ppl who would forgo short time profit just to gain a customer that would keep coming back.

A few more weeks passed, but my pedals were still in the operating table... i really didn't want to keep on holding the BAMF pedals, because i am afraid something might happen to them. i dont want him to think of me as a customer who takes advantage. 
by this point, i was already texting BAMF everyday... being kulit. i am convinced that the only way for me to get it back, is to remind him all the time (just like what i do when im getting a PLDT line, asking for shifting forms, installing a new water pipe... those business centers work faster when you call them everyday).

along the way, BAMF asked me whether i wanted to add a pre-bass on the DOD, to which i agreed. and that one time where he thought he was done but couldnt put the DOD's battery compartment back because it didn't have space anymore.

i always wondered why my pedals took forever... first realization was that:

the DOD death metal metal is not a famous pedal... most guitar players hate it. BAMF is not used to operating DOD pedals and for the record, my DOD death may NOT BE WORTH the research because hey, i must be the one and only who swears by this pedal.

2nd realization was:

my MT2 bakemono was the first of its kind.

regarding the MT2 BAMF decided it was a special operation so he told me it costs 1.5K ... i was shocked at this of course ... from 500 php it took a drastic jump to 1.5K ... i asked him whether he can give me a discount. and he said that since it doesnt have a prebass, he will charge me 800 php for it... i inserted the extra 300 php inside the pedal compartment, and shipped BAMF's pedals via LBC. it reached him in two days. he sent me my pedals back via EMS and it reached me after 5 days.

basically, i sent my pedals to him 1st week of February and got it back 2nd week of April. the whole thing took such a long time, that i seem to have gotten use to not have a dirt pedal. i have trouble reconciling that i have spent a lot of money and the time on the whole thing though.

i was so excited in unwrapping my pedals ... hands trembling. first one unwrapped was the DOD death metal with gain control and pre bass! ... as soon as i took it out... one of the buttons fell off. oh well, crappy knobs. i unwrapped the MT2 Bake-freaking-mono and, well, im glad BAMF-ed fixed the level knob... it didn't look attractive but at least im hoping it would work.

testing time came... DOD death has to be the first... i mean, it was my fave! ... inserted a battery, played a few notes... no sound.i panicked. after YM-ing BAMF, he said the problem was that the knobs shorted against the metal casing and i had to insulate it with tape. i did it with no luck since just like i said, i am just an end user consumer. for a few seconds, i managed to get the DOD to work by forcing the battery inside the compartment ... and what can i say? it is damn amazing! not only does it NOT FEEDBACK, it is a hell lot better than the all new digitech death metal and a lot more powerful than the old feedback magnet  DOD Death Metal. this would have been awesome if and only if, i managed to get a consistent sound. every time i turn the pedal on and off, a new sound comes out of it - totally random sound with each step of the pedal (not a good thing!). another bad news is that the DOD Death lost its clean bypass signal - whether you turn it on or off, you can hear the distortion. BAMF said something about forgetting to check Mang Raul's work.

i was feeling down ... so down...

oh well, i have to move on, time to plug the MT2 Bakemono... played a few notes.. couldnt' stop... played with the setting... couldnt stop playing still... got my bass guitar... plugged it in... couldn't stop. the MT2 Bakemono, ladies and gentleman, is an AWESOME PEDAL. Bass or guitar, this thing kicks major a**. i dont wanna sound mayabang, but the MT2 bakemono sound can kick cliff burton's distorted bass sound anytime of the day (even Lemmy's too). NOTE: before you flame, im talking about sound, alright? not the playing and the person. i have yet to do a proper review on the bakemono when i can get a new soundcard to record stuff to the PC.

there are time whether i think that my problem on the 2 pedals could have been solved if i just bought an EQ for the MT2 and a noise gate for the DOD ... but whats done is done. and someday, the bakemono would be worth it when i see ppl heads bang along with my distorted bass sound.

-*-

so to summarize my experience:

i have two pedals, i expected to spend 1K on both of them for mods and i expected them to be back in 1 week.

what happened was, i spent more than 1K on the pedals, 2 months waiting for it and ended up with one NON-WORKING PEDAL, and one AMAZING pedal.

will i have another pedal BAMF'ed again? ... Yes, BUT, if and only if i know there was a guinea pig before me, and i have a back up pedal of whatever it is i sent to him. BAMF is only human after all.

-*-

How can BAMF improve his services?

1.) Treat his hobby also as a business.

2.) Train new staff and give them schematics for the previous pedals so he can concentrate on nothing but R & D (i notice this is what he really loves doing).

3.) Decide on his limitations and tell them up front (i.e. you are from davao, i think you will be spending 700 php as opposed to the advertised 500 php per pedal, and you will be getting the pedal 1 month after instead of the advertised 1 week).

4.) work on a schedule and work on a DEADLINE. or better yet, get a trained staff to do the donkey work.

5.) Increase his rates a little as so he can give better services.

Interesting...cant wait to get my rehoused EM5 from the man :-D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 04:31:47 PM by pallas »
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 05:25:24 PM »
Yeah. I'm stretched...and apart for the scalarizer, the modding activities have been more a pursuit of tone and trying out new things.

To be transparent, here's a list of my backlogs

Tuyuta's pedal- just fixed by Mang Raul today. Busted tac switch.

Starfugger's DS1- already fixed...but I still have to apply the newest mods I've learned for the DS1

Pipoy's DS-1 - Busted TA7136P chip, can't find one anywhere: trying out a TL072 transplant.

Pallas's EM5- bought a Denio just for this and gutted it for the  case. It should be finished by now as I had one of my guys carve out opening for the DC jack.

a BF2 from Mark (kinkyhooters)- no bypass. Mang Raul is still stumped but we're still working on it.

Mark's TS9 - intermittent; a shorted foil from the previous modder, but eventually I found it last night. After 3 hours !

Microchimp's DS1- returned to me for a mod update, but when I tested it, it had no wet signal. Maybe a bad power supply Requires troubleshooting again.

Boosted's Tube pedal - last pedal I was working on last night. Despite the pre-booster, the signal is still too weak at the output. Will be doing this again starting tomorrow.

Those are the ones I can remember...I guess that's all of it. I'm truly stretched and I'm just re-remembering how to troubleshoot audio circuits. It was 1992 when I was a full electronics technician and moved on to telecommunications in my career so I dulled out in that skill in all those years.

I'm just thankful that the happy customers I've dealt with far outweigh my faults. That's what I was saying back then to erniebong...it's only a matter of time and how many when unhappy customers come up. And I can only know too well...unhappy customers are the most expensive item in your business coz they will keep on costing you money for life :D . Not to mention ill will which I guess, nobody needs.

Tao lang po.  :-)

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 09:05:57 PM »
at least you learnd a dozen ways how NOT to mod a pedal right?

hehe i tried the bakemono at practice to say and for me, i didnt like it that much. well first of all my guitar is a tele (and you know how trebly those things get). and second of all, its not the sound i was looking for. im happy with my MD2. :D

and oh yeah, our vocallist is gonna make the bakemono pedal into a shirt that says

"BAKE-F******-MONO"

hahahaha..

oist INCX, next practice on monday :P

Offline IncX

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 09:32:53 PM »
im glad this thread has turned into a constructive one...

Know that i think BAMF is a gentleman (who plays cool surf guitar) and i guess it was a good learning experience for me, BAMF and shipping pedals.

i believe i will have more pedals modded someday (or who knows, i just might visit the BAMF labs sometime in May ... i'll bring the DOD, hehehe).

-*-

i hope its OK with you BAMF, i plan to have a shirt that says "BAKE-F******G-MONO" (cause i am such a big fan of that mod) ... its one of the project shirts of our vocalist (francis)...

and one more thing, about that friend i was telling you about BAMF... the engineering graduate who might be an apprentice? i hope we can talk about that when you are not busy (seems like you are FILLED man! good luck, and dont smoke too much, hehe).

-*-

i know that thread Edge, hehehe... i participated in it... i wanted it to be a constructive thread as so both buyers and sellers can learn from the experience. i guess it was evetually deleted because it turned into a flame war. i hope more readers can be able to differentiate   business and personal issues. you may have one bad business deal, but its not reason enough to close doors or judge the entirety of a person.

-*-

again thanx to everyone who took the time to read and comment.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 09:39:52 PM by IncX »

Offline knightburn

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 09:47:33 PM »
Good post. I also had a not really bad but... was disappointed with BAMF's service that I went to another pedal modder. He's a good guy though... I will definitely go back to have my pedals fix... kapag nakabili na ulit  :cry:

Ikaw pala InCX yung medyo mahabang hair na nagpapaayos ng WahWah pedal? I was the one na nagpatingin ng Muff. :mrgreen:
Psalms 33:3 - Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

Ibanez SAS32FM, Washburn Mercury, Ibanez DE7, DOD FX17, MiAudio Crunchbox, Small Clone, Boss RV3, Digitech BadMonkey, Vox 847A, Zoom TriMetal, Fulldrive MOSFET

Offline IncX

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 09:53:06 PM »
Good post. I also had a not really bad but... was disappointed with BAMF's service that I went to another pedal modder. He's a good guy though... I will definitely go back to have my pedals fix... kapag nakabili na ulit  :cry:

Ikaw pala InCX yung medyo mahabang hair na nagpapaayos ng WahWah pedal? I was the one na nagpatingin ng Muff. :mrgreen:

uh huh! ... thats me and i remember you now, hehehe... i think i told you about putting plastic caps on the muff right?

Offline knightburn

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2007, 10:06:16 PM »

uh huh! ... thats me and i remember you now, hehehe... i think i told you about putting plastic caps on the muff right?

Yeah... hehe. Nice... ! Keep on rockin p're dyan sa Davao!  :wink:
Psalms 33:3 - Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

Ibanez SAS32FM, Washburn Mercury, Ibanez DE7, DOD FX17, MiAudio Crunchbox, Small Clone, Boss RV3, Digitech BadMonkey, Vox 847A, Zoom TriMetal, Fulldrive MOSFET

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007, 11:22:53 PM »
nice thread man. ang ganda ng exchange from the concerned parties :)

for me, the distance between you guys is a big factor (particularly in business transactions). the bamf experience would have been a lot better and financially unarresting (if there's such a term) if there was no shipping involved. it was really open and accommodating of both parties to entertain such a transaction despite the distance.

also, the 5 day stay in manila also added to the time pressure for both of you...bottom line is, experience satisfaction has a lot of factors that one needs to consider..at least there are efforts being made now to compensate for the said experience. :)

go go go!

Offline moHaWk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 06:03:56 AM »
ang saya naman... pero naluluha ako sa tuwa!!!! :x  nice thread....

maintain lang ang both parties....

panalo....

sir BAMF kita nalng tayo d2 mamaya... hehehehe...

wag mo problemahin ang problema, hayaan mong problema mamroblema sayo!!!!!

Pag ang lason ba na-expire lason parin?

Offline danleo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 06:37:41 AM »
Very Nice Thread. :) Ako ok naman experience ko with Sir Bamf. I bought him a scalarizer last february and have it shipped over here sa Z.C.. Payed 550PHP for the product and shipping arrived just in time. 2nd experience ko was last march, I asked for sir bamf's help on 500K pots Raon Type coz I can't find any store selling hir sa amin and we got gigs in a few days and really needed pots kahit ordinary lang for temporary use. Sir Bamf was so kind to help me out. He snatched the pots from his shop and mailed it to me and was able to pay him immediately coz when sir bamf texted me bout how much, it was already past 5pm on a saturday afternoon and globe office was already closed. I was able to pay sir bamf after a day pa and it was monday. Sir Bamf is a very nice, friendly and kind person and Idol ko siya. :)
You may say I\'m a dreamer. But I\'m not the only one. I know someday you\'ll join us and the world will live as one...

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2007, 07:10:22 AM »

man this thread rocks!

well evryone should understand that BAMF is doing a lot of things at the same time. Hes been great help to musicians here in the forum and outside.

I personally havent tried his mods, but with what i read here in the forums, most are satisfied with the results.

When he mods, it doesnt always mean better tone - it still depends on the person whether it would sound great or not. My unmodded ds-100 boston might sound better to me than your hm-100 modded by BAMF. I personally dont think that his modification is a promise of better tone for everyone.

The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline Boosted

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2007, 10:23:47 AM »
Yeah. I'm stretched...and apart for the scalarizer, the modding activities have been more a pursuit of tone and trying out new things.

To be transparent, here's a list of my backlogs

Tuyuta's pedal- just fixed by Mang Raul today. Busted tac switch.

Starfugger's DS1- already fixed...but I still have to apply the newest mods I've learned for the DS1

Pipoy's DS-1 - Busted TA7136P chip, can't find one anywhere: trying out a TL072 transplant.

Pallas's EM5- bought a Denio just for this and gutted it for the  case. It should be finished by now as I had one of my guys carve out opening for the DC jack.

a BF2 from Mark (kinkyhooters)- no bypass. Mang Raul is still stumped but we're still working on it.

Mark's TS9 - intermittent; a shorted foil from the previous modder, but eventually I found it last night. After 3 hours !

Microchimp's DS1- returned to me for a mod update, but when I tested it, it had no wet signal. Maybe a bad power supply Requires troubleshooting again.

Boosted's Tube pedal - last pedal I was working on last night. Despite the pre-booster, the signal is still too weak at the output. Will be doing this again starting tomorrow.

Those are the ones I can remember...I guess that's all of it. I'm truly stretched and I'm just re-remembering how to troubleshoot audio circuits. It was 1992 when I was a full electronics technician and moved on to telecommunications in my career so I dulled out in that skill in all those years.

I'm just thankful that the happy customers I've dealt with far outweigh my faults. That's what I was saying back then to erniebong...it's only a matter of time and how many when unhappy customers come up. And I can only know too well...unhappy customers are the most expensive item in your business coz they will keep on costing you money for life :D . Not to mention ill will which I guess, nobody needs.

Tao lang po.  :-)

almost one year na ata ung pedal na inaabangan ko kay bamf :) hehehe pero still waiting :D
bamf ung metal zone ko parang mas gusto ko ung tunog dati kesa ngyn.. pwede ba natin i a/b ung mod? :)

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2007, 11:50:53 AM »
Honga Chris. I'll be spending lots of fine-tuning time with your ped, in preparation for my "modding break". Gotta clear my pedal backlog na. At least...tapos na yung EM5 ni Pallas. Next patient !

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2007, 04:24:16 PM »
Honga Chris. I'll be spending lots of fine-tuning time with your ped, in preparation for my "modding break". Gotta clear my pedal backlog na. At least...tapos na yung EM5 ni Pallas. Next patient !

yippeee....may contact ka na pre sa umuwi kong kaibigan
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline BlackDiamond

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2007, 06:57:10 PM »
Knightburn and IncX, kayo pala un! ako ung may dalang 7string na RG!  :-D Pansin ko lng na super busy sir BAMF that day, but I appreciated it kse he took time to demonstrate the difference regarding the sound of his scalarizers (metal alone, crystal alone and crystalmet). Ganda pa ng tone when he played Dire Straits' Money for Nothing! Umuwi agad ako bec of too much excitement to play the guitar using my rig at home.
This forumite is a different person:
http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?action=profile;u=43394
I'm not him! HMMP!

Offline IncX

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2007, 08:14:53 PM »
Knightburn and IncX, kayo pala un! ako ung may dalang 7string na RG!  :-D Pansin ko lng na super busy sir BAMF that day, but I appreciated it kse he took time to demonstrate the difference regarding the sound of his scalarizers (metal alone, crystal alone and crystalmet). Ganda pa ng tone when he played Dire Straits' Money for Nothing! Umuwi agad ako bec of too much excitement to play the guitar using my rig at home.

man, i really really wanted to play your 7 string, nahiya lang ako, hahahahaha!