hulika

Author Topic: Music Theory S.O.S.  (Read 1358 times)

Offline nuno

• Forum Fanatic
Music Theory S.O.S.
« on: May 29, 2007, 11:10:15 AM »
after more than a dacade of playing guitar... i realized that i dont have any darn idea why we have E-A-D-G-B-E as the standard tuning and luckily one day a forumite sent me a pm containing some music theory overviews.

and as i was going through the adobe files.... i came across this term... "DOMINANT SEVENTH CHORD"

its defined in the manual as.... "any dominant seventh chord is some Key's V (Five) Chord." and hell, it doesnt make sense at all to me...  :|

could somebody please help me on this? im getting nose bleed  :cry:

thanks!

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
Re: Music Theory S.O.S.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 11:44:25 AM »
after more than a dacade of playing guitar... i realized that i dont have any darn idea why we have E-A-D-G-B-E as the standard tuning and luckily one day a forumite sent me a pm containing some music theory overviews.

and as i was going through the adobe files.... i came across this term... "DOMINANT SEVENTH CHORD"

its defined in the manual as.... "any dominant seventh chord is some Key's V (Five) Chord." and hell, it doesnt make sense at all to me...  :|

could somebody please help me on this? im getting nose bleed  :cry:

thanks!
i'll try to simplify my explanation. here goes:

you have to break down the notes of a dominant 7th chord in order to understand it better. a dominant seventh chord's notes include: 1 (the root), major 3rd, perfect 5th and the minor seventh notes.(to simplify things, let's use the key of C. G dominant 7 (or G7) is the V chord in the key of C major. why? first and foremost, kasi G ang fifth note sa C major scale (do-re-mi-fa-sol!). also, by relating the G7 chord to the fifth mode of C (G mixolydian), all the notes in G7 fall under the G mixolydian scale. kaya nakasulat sa mga chord/scale primers na ang mixolydian scale eh ginagamit sa mga chord na may dominant 7th :)

dagdagan nyo na lang guys, i'm off to work! :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline brianb

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 06:44:29 PM »
"DOMINANT SEVENTH CHORD"

its defined in the manual as.... "any dominant seventh chord is some Key's V (Five) Chord."

and hell, it doesnt make sense at all to me...  :|

I'll try to explain, given my very limited understanding of music theory.

First of all, what is a V (five) chord? It's the chord built from the fifth degree (note) of a scale.
In the case of the C major scale (C-D-E-F-G-A-B), the fifth degree is G (C-D-E-F-G-A-B).

Second, how do you build a 7th chord from the fifth degree of C major? Chords are built on
thirds. Each note in a chord is a third (major or minor third) away from the previous note.

So to build the chord you start with the 5th degree, then go up the scale in thirds until you accumulate 4 notes:
C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C-D-E-F-G-A-B.

Ergo, the C major scale's V chord consists of the 4 notes: G-B-D-F. This particular combination of intervals (root, major third, fifth, flat seventh) forms a dominant seventh chord. In this case, since the root of the chord is G, it's a G dominant seventh, or more commonly G7.

This particular combination of intervals (root, major third, fifth, flat seventh) is also unique to the 5th degree of scale. If you were to construct chords starting with any other degree aside from the 5th, you would end up with either a major seventh, minor seventh, or half diminished chord. Only the V chord is a dominant 7th.

Now, everything I just wrote above is just a roundabout way of saying that
- G7 is the V chord of C major
- C7 is the V chord of F major
- F7 is the V chord of Bb major
- Bb7 is the V chord of Eb major
(and on and on around the circle of fourths...)

The sound of this chord (G-B-D-F) is very distinctive. It sounds like it wants to resolve to the CMaj7 chord (C-E-G-B). Try playing G7-CMaj7 a few times and you'll hear what I mean.

I hope this clarifies more than it confuses.  :lol:

(Feel free to correct me or clarify what I just wrote above.)

Offline nuno

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 10:07:47 PM »
brian and ian, thanks a lot! i could now move on with the module hehehe!  :evil:

Offline nuno

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 10:28:36 PM »
another question if you guys dont mind...  :-D

is there a rational explanation why we dont put "#" on C and Am? one of my colleague said its just a term that is not used (in piano context). like, instead of writing it as C#.... it should be adressed as D Flat.

im kinda lost again.  :lol:

Offline brianb

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 01:24:44 AM »
is there a rational explanation why we dont put "#" on C and Am? one of my colleague said its just a term that is not used (in piano context). like, instead of writing it as C#.... it should be adressed as D Flat.

As far as I can tell, it's done this way so you don't skip letters or repeat letters when spelling out the notes in a scale. If you were to spell out the Db (C#) major scale using starting with C#, it would be C#-D#-F-Gb-Ab-Bb-C. If you ignore the # and b symbols, you'll notice that you have 2 C's  (C# and C) and are missing the E. If we follow the convention of using Db, we spell the same scale as Db-Eb-F-Gb-Ab-Bb-C. Now all letters are represented, and there are no duplicates.

Anyway, it's just a naming convention. As long as you understand that C# and Db refer to the same note, I think you'll be OK.

Offline nuno

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 11:17:12 AM »
now it does make sense thanks!  :-)