hulika

Author Topic: punk drummer ( technical or widow? )  (Read 3012 times)

Offline jiggermouche

• Philmusicus Noobitus
punk drummer ( technical or widow? )
« on: July 13, 2007, 04:44:05 PM »
haha pareho lang daw ba yun?

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
Re: punk drummer ( technical or widow? )
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 05:37:12 PM »
Personally, I try not to bother too much anymore about the technical abilities (or inabilities) of a musician.  If he/she is capable of making great music & is able to touch others in a positive manner, then that's great.

Regarding punk drummer being technical or widow...  For me, it doesn't matter.

One punk drummer that I really like and enjoy watching and listening to is Travis Barker.  I know he has this drum corps background, that's why he can pull off those chops of his.  He's really good.

8-)

nO RLY

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 07:15:31 PM »
what i like about punk drummers is that they can pull of really cool and tight beats even they're already playing at a really high tempo. it takes a lot of skill, patience, and really fast feet to be able to do what a punk drummer does.

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: punk drummer ( technical or Ouido? )
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 11:04:33 PM »
Drummer and music are two separate entities.
A drummer with or without formal training can play any kind of music, ie. Punk as long as he/she has the necessary skill/knowledge needed to perform/render a genre's authentic feel, IMO. "It's how you make the music groove"   :-)

Now, Punk Drumming - Technical or Ouido?....The word ouido means lack of formal training; again, IMO, its irrelevant to compare this to technical drumming; as I've mentioned, even a drummer without formal training can acquire technical skills thru experience/exposure to music.

Medyo malabo ang tanong mo,pero sana nakuha ko ibig mong sabihin. :-)
So Be It.

Offline greysky

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 08:50:05 AM »
One punk drummer that I really like and enjoy watching and listening to is Travis Barker.  I know he has this drum corps background, that's why he can pull off those chops of his.  He's really good.

8-)

I agree!
Theres 101 ways for Travis to make different sounds for Punk!

and because i play with a punk band Travis is my all time favorite drummer!
 :-D
"If you can't accept losing, you can't win!"

Offline franco

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 10:09:59 AM »
i agree with bamm, kahit ouido drummer ka you can still play technically. punk music isn't really always about speed, it's more on attitude. if you're looking for a good "speed" drummer check out rufio. their drummer, mike jimenez, can keep time at high tempo and pull off awesome chops. travis, on the other hand, isn't that fast but what i really like about him is his style and ability to make catchy patterns and the way he explores the drumkit. hell, he can even play with one hand!
if you can't join them, beat them!

nO RLY

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 08:22:12 PM »
hmm.. come to think of it, oo nga. may point ka, sir franco. :-D pag nakakita ka ng punk drummer, alam mong may gagawin yung di mo ma eexpect. haha...

Offline drummerboy827

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 11:13:51 PM »
hey, its been a while since i've last posted here, hehe, la lang. Regarding the punk thingy, it sort of between technicality and the widowy stuff. Travis Barker really stands out among punk drummers. Most of the punk drummer i hear now base their playing on speed. Machine gun fills and stuff. Travis' playing is so unconventional when it comes to the punk genre.
"Fast practice = slow progress"
"Slow practice = fast progress"

Offline tetherboy

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 10:35:33 AM »
for me its a matter of art, everyone who plays music is an artist, whether we like it or not but its the only way how they can express their attitude!!! haha travis or portnoy? pareho lang sila but in different genre,,hindi sila pede icompare......haha

Offline compvr

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 10:50:30 AM »
how to be a punk drummer?

http://www.rockdrummingsystem.com/underground/drum-beats/punk-rock-drumming.php

favorite ko sa palo ni travis barker yung sa time to wake up ba yun? time to break up?

sa mga punk drummers , pano niyo na develop yung speed at power?

Arguing with a fool proves there are two.                   Doris M. Smith

------------------------ supervoodoo

Offline tetherboy

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 11:30:29 AM »
bro kelangan mo mag extrajoss before u sit down on your throne, hehe muscle pain ang kalaban mo!!!!

Offline prjm14

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 05:56:38 AM »
how to be a punk drummer?

http://www.rockdrummingsystem.com/underground/drum-beats/punk-rock-drumming.php

favorite ko sa palo ni travis barker yung sa time to wake up ba yun? time to break up?

sa totoo lang, ito ang pinaka unang natutunan kong type ng drumming e.. mga 6 years ago ganito na ko tumugtog?, try niong pakinggan ung ramones, lumang albums ng thrice, alkaline trio, misfits, tsaka minor threat.. most of the time mabilis na poste lang ung drummer and minsan lang maglabas ng fills... :-)

Offline franco

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 11:00:39 AM »

SHABU! hahaha! loko lng, wag na wag mong gagawin yun! practice lang yan, itutok mo lang yung utak mo sa ginagawa mo and don't play stiff kasi mas mabilis ka kumilos pag relaxed ka lng. another thing, i know travis is a great drummer but don't hinder yourself from listening to other drummers kasi pang dagdag din ng kaalaman yan. even travis has alot of influences, di naman sya talaga sa punk nagstart - he played drums for a ska band  called "the aquabats". and just because you're into punk doesn't mean that you can't listen to other genres kaya pag sinabihan kang poser ng mga kaibigan mo, ngumiti ka na lng kasi wala silang karapatan na sabihin kung ano at sino ka

Offline jiggermouche

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 11:03:41 AM »
before nagpunk c travis ang pgkkaalam ko naging jazz drummer muna sya, tpos the transplants, techno ung tugtug nila be4 sya nag aquabats...haha

Offline franco

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 11:21:51 AM »
before nagpunk c travis ang pgkkaalam ko naging jazz drummer muna sya, tpos the transplants, techno ung tugtug nila be4 sya nag aquabats...haha

hmm... mejo alangan ata sir kasi nag aquabats muna sya before sya kinuha ni tom delonge and mark hoppus of blink 182 then bumuo sila ni tom ng box car racer bago sya nag transplants then +44 at ngayon may mga hip-hop trip-hop sya na sideline with some rappers. pero ang nakakatuwa jan e bago sya nagdrums at nung aquabats pa sya madalas sya nagbbreak dance reason why he has that huge boom box tat on his abs

Offline greysky

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 11:57:21 AM »
i agree with bamm, kahit ouido drummer ka you can still play technically. punk music isn't really always about speed, it's more on attitude. if you're looking for a good "speed" drummer check out rufio. their drummer, mike jimenez, can keep time at high tempo and pull off awesome chops. travis, on the other hand, isn't that fast but what i really like about him is his style and ability to make catchy patterns and the way he explores the drumkit. hell, he can even play with one hand!

oo magaling din drummer ng rufio actually lahat sila magaling

and speaking of travis one hand lng sya nung sa AOL session ng +44
astig!

tapos ung sa Letterman naman gamit nyang paa ung left nya pang bass tpos off beat sya
DOWN ung song. ang galing!
"If you can't accept losing, you can't win!"