hulika

Author Topic: volume pedals..essential as it is??..  (Read 2121 times)

Offline guitarizta11

volume pedals..essential as it is??..
« on: August 02, 2007, 07:30:21 PM »
guyz, i need help here..
i want to ask, how important is a volume pedal to a hard-rockin' guitarist?
sorry, i just really lack some information about these volume pedals..
can you just tell me how these things work and what's the rate of "essentiallity"..hehe..
i'm really intrigued..thanks guyz.. :-D
born to rock!!.. \m/

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: volume pedals..essential as it is??..
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 08:47:13 PM »
it depends on where you place it in your signal chain. Some players use the volume pedal right after the guitar to control the signal going to the dirt pedals( not unlike the way you would use your volume knob).

If you use it after your dirt pedals, you usually place it before your time based effects(Delay, Reverb).  And after your modulations ( chorus, flanger, etc.) I do this to either create a smoother swell with Delays( With the Dist pedal on, maingay if you only use your guitar's volume knob.) or i use it in the context of the bands volume/ dynamics. Have you ever played a gig that in the midst of the song you feel that  you're too loud or you can't hear yourself? The volume pedal can help you in this respect IF you can control your volume properly.

Of course this is only my opinion. Baka may ibang use na hinid ko pa neexplore.  :-D

Offline IncX

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 12:10:10 AM »
the only reason i would get a volume pedal is because its cheap and i have extra money.

other than that, its not worth it; eating a large space in the pedal board, and more weight for you to carry... id rather get a tuner or buy a new set of strings.

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 01:48:50 AM »
I used two volume pedals as expression pedal to control efx parameters with my midi controller. Prior to that, I used to use it between my preamp and poweramp to control my stage volume.

Offline bluejem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 02:05:15 AM »
For me,the volume pedal is very essential.It is what I use to control my overall volume output and it helps me to make easier volume swells rather than turning the volume knob.I also use it to kill my signal when needed and again rather than turning on and off the vol knob.Got the idea from Steve vai  when I 1st saw the`96 G3.So after that I got myself a Yamaha volume pedal and now I upgraded it to a Boss FV500L w/c is one of the best vol pedals I know as of today,IMHO lng. :-D
\"My philosophy is: if the product is right, the price is right and you treat your customers the way you want to be treated, the word-of-mouth is faster than <br />the speed of sound!\"<br />(Words from Bill Lawrence)

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 02:30:15 AM »
i badly need this! why? I just cant play and lower the volume of my guitar at the same time!

so i say this is essential for me.
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline schnitzerz4

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 04:12:50 AM »
ako din gamit ko tamad kasi akong yumuko hehehehe ayoko din kalikutin yung sa guitar hehehe in other words tamad ako (kaya di ako natututo eh)

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 05:49:27 AM »
for me it's essential too, i use to have a morley little alligator i sold it and now i'm thinking of getting an ernieball  :-D i use it to control my total output

Offline rainierito

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 06:09:46 AM »
volume swells... yan ang no.1 na lagi kong ginagawang effect. very nice. iba rin kasi ang tunog kapag yung guitar volume ang gamit mo... and besides, magiging busy ang right hand mo, pickin' and volume swellin' kapag walang pedal.

the guitar's volume control affects the gain...
(it also has it's use, kung ayaw mong tapak ka ng tapak or tweak ng tweak sa gain pedal or amps gain you use the guitar volume para bawasan ng konting gain ang signal)

so i use my volume pedal para ibaba ang volume without much gain lost. (nakalagay ang volume pedal ko after ng dirt pedals)

other than that i use it na pam patay signal or when tuning my guitar, (nilalagay ko sa tuner output ng volume pedal para bawas tone suckin' i dunno if the tu2 is true bypass kasi eh)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 06:27:06 AM by rainierito »

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 06:33:15 AM »
anung mga model ang ginagamit ninyong volume pedals?

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 09:34:38 AM »
that's good to hear from you sir, di ko kasi gus2 yung action ng morley. maganda action ng ernie ball pero yung pot nga din ang pinagiisipan ko so bahala na muna siguro  :-D

Offline guitarizta11

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 01:07:48 PM »
mga sir..tnx poh s info..
i was planning to buy a volume pedal as well because i have problems with my volume control..
my cousin told me to buy a volume pedal to make the job easier..
i scouted some stores and i actualy liked morley..
is it worth the buy??..
born to rock!!.. \m/

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 01:10:56 PM »
for the price ok, kasi medyo malayo presyo ng ernieball, checkout boss din baka matypan mo

Offline guitarizta11

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 01:20:07 PM »
aww..boss nga pla noh..hehe..
cge2..i'll try n mgscout ule mmya..
is it good for swelling??..
born to rock!!.. \m/

Offline the_jj

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 07:41:36 PM »
i learned a lot from reading this thread.. I used to think volume pedals aren't really needed much..  :-)
My Own Epic Drama, My Own Scripted Page

Offline SRV

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 11:12:12 PM »
it depends on your choice... si frank gambale gumagamit ng ernie ball voume peds... ako naman nito ko lang nalaman ang ganda ng music na nacrecreate ko with volume pedal... i can get classical tunes out of it... isa pa, pede rin syang maging harmonizer:D

Offline rainierito

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2007, 06:10:09 AM »
anung mga model ang ginagamit ninyong volume pedals?

eb vpjr.

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2007, 07:46:04 AM »
I use a Boss FV-300. ernie ball volume pedals are pretty good also...

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline guitarizta11

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2007, 01:14:22 PM »
well, thanks guyz..learned something..hehe..
i guess what i should do now is to try some of these babies.. :mrgreen:
born to rock!!.. \m/