hulika

Author Topic: sigma 10-22mm  (Read 3978 times)

Offline mariuo

sigma 10-22mm
« on: September 29, 2007, 01:53:32 PM »
hi there, i'm about to purchase a nikon d40x and i'm thinking about lenses already  :-D i'd love to do wide angle shots and researched a little. it seems like the sigma 10-22mm is a pretty good deal with 2 aperature settings and auto-focus. anyone have any experience with them? are there stores that sell em here? thanks, hope you can help :-D

-mario

Offline vic_6

• Board Moderator
Re: sigma 10-22mm
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 03:18:23 PM »
i think you mean the 10-20. :)

i want one myself but these lenses are pretty expensive. oh and on the d40/x only sigma lenses with HSM can auto focus. it's something about the circuitry or something of the d40/x. it's a variable aperture lens. not just a 2 aperture lens. that means that at the widest setting, 10mm, the aperture is 4 and at the least wide focal length (20mm) it'll have an aperture of 5.6. these are just marks. you can set the aperture smaller (bigger number). yun lang, at 10mm the widest the aperture cna be is 4 and at 20mm the widest it can go is 5.6 but i doubt naman that you'd be using small apertures with this lens since you'd want great depth of field (smaller aperture).
way too much GAS, way too little cash

Offline mariuo

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 05:19:37 PM »
oh yeah my bad.. 10-20mm hehe. so no auto-focus? so if i attach it to a d40/x i'd have to set it on manual? i've been looking at pictures in flickr that were taken with the sigma and most of them are impressive.

kinda new to photography so never really knew how to do the wide angle shots until i saw some website saying it was all in the lens... i think it was something like kenrockwell.com? forgot hehe

Offline schnitzerz4

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 06:38:45 PM »
ganda nyan =)

for me mas gusto ko manual lens =) wala akong tiwala sa auto focus eh hehehehe

Offline vic_6

• Board Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 02:39:47 AM »
nope no auto focus for the d40/x users. but i know sigma has started to make special lenses just for nikon. like the 18-50mm f2.8 HSM. there arent any made for canon since yun nga, yung HSM kelangan ng mga d40/x models para pwde mag auto focus.

and yeah, the shots are really nice :)

Offline masarapangtaho

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 01:16:38 PM »
to support vic's post:
the D40/D40x has no built-in AF motor in it's body. so it's AF function depends on the lens that you'll be using.

as for your Sigma 10-20mm, i think JT Photoworld (digitalprinting.multiply.com) has them. they also offer deffered payment schemes for lenses. hehe.

i'd settle for a wide conveter since i don't have the money to get a wide angle lens.   and tamad ako magpalit ng lens. hehe. :-D

Offline mariuo

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 04:21:17 PM »
sorry if i seem ignorant or something hehe all this is quite new to me. yeah been reading more on the sigma and the d40/x, thanks alot for the info guys :-) though i've read something that the sigma would have some  problems with the d40x due to it's crop sensor, and that sigma lenses only with the acronym DG are meant for digital, but in sigmas website they say that DC is made for digital too. im quite confused :-P i just dont want to purchase the sigma and find out that the pictures would come out differently because its really for full frame

btw whats a wide converter? hehe  :-D

Offline obelix

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 10:41:34 PM »
a lens designed for full frame can be used on a camera with a cropped sensor

Offline masarapangtaho

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 02:04:04 AM »
yeah, what he said.

it's a lens attatchment, usually bigger rim than your lens that converts the focal length of your lens therefore making it an almost wide angle lens. why almost? because it's still an 18-55mm or an 18-70mm :-D

Offline vic_6

• Board Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 01:06:26 PM »
sorry if i seem ignorant or something hehe all this is quite new to me. yeah been reading more on the sigma and the d40/x, thanks alot for the info guys :-) though i've read something that the sigma would have some  problems with the d40x due to it's crop sensor, and that sigma lenses only with the acronym DG are meant for digital, but in sigmas website they say that DC is made for digital too. im quite confused :-P i just dont want to purchase the sigma and find out that the pictures would come out differently because its really for full frame

btw whats a wide converter? hehe  :-D

dont worry about the 10-20. it'll definitely work on the d40/x.

(oh and if you havent bought the cam yet i think you should check out the canon 400d. hehehehe) :)

Offline mariuo

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 04:42:26 PM »
thanks for your patience guys. yeah maybe i should get the cam first and see how full frame lenses turn out on dslrs hehe

lately canon cams have been getting my attention haha the lenses n' all. but to be honest, and no offense cause it seems like canon vs nikon is an ol rivalry, i seem to be leaning on nikon hehe since i've used my dads old fg and we have some lenses for it. comforting i guess hehe

thanks again guys you've been very helpful

Offline masarapangtaho

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 07:19:48 PM »
price update according to JT Photoworld (Sigma Distributor) multiply site:
Sigma 10-20mm F4.0-5.6 EX DC HSM
Php 24,800.00

There you go.

Offline vic_6

• Board Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 08:30:34 AM »
thanks for your patience guys. yeah maybe i should get the cam first and see how full frame lenses turn out on dslrs hehe

lately canon cams have been getting my attention haha the lenses n' all. but to be honest, and no offense cause it seems like canon vs nikon is an ol rivalry, i seem to be leaning on nikon hehe since i've used my dads old fg and we have some lenses for it. comforting i guess hehe

thanks again guys you've been very helpful

haha no worries :) to each his own din :) and having those old lenses indeed are an advantage. yun nga lang talaga, no auto focus. hehe! but if that aint a problem then it's all good :) you dont end up spending so much din.

let us know if you get it. and post pics :)

Offline masarapangtaho

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 10:36:50 PM »
bro, any news?

Offline vic_6

• Board Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2007, 12:51:39 AM »
i tried out my friend's 10-20 the other day. ang saya!! hehe! yun lang, i cant see myself using this on my cam a lot. though it makes for real interesting perspectives and amazing for landscapes and architectural stuff.

Offline mariuo

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2007, 03:53:53 PM »
wow how i'd love to have one. btw, just got the d40x a couple of days ago guys hehe will post some pics soon. been playing around with the lens in 18mm since its almost like a uwa... well almost hehe. hopefully when i go to china ill be able to get a real uwa. are there cheaper prime uwa's for digital? just wondering

Offline vic_6

• Board Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2007, 07:41:47 PM »
congrats on the new cam :)

well, from what i've been told, you can really great deals in hong kong. i dunno lang about mainland china.

oh and you're thinking of getting a wide prime? does that mean you're not planning to get the UWA zoom anymore?

Offline masarapangtaho

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2007, 11:22:16 PM »
congrats bro! welcome to the nikon side. hehe.

yup. sobrang mura nga ng camera gear sa HK. pero some stores can be untrusted at times. yung pinaka-OK na store dun is Fortress. it's the one with the orange logo. i dunno if they sell lens there though. last time i wasi n HK was back in 2002. hehe. and back then we got a Fuji P&S.

@vic: ako rin parang hindi ko magagamit yung 10-20mm. been GASsing for a 17-24mm f/2.8 though.

Offline mariuo

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 11:51:01 PM »
i hope we do get to swing by hong kong but i kinda doubt it unless cebupacific re-routes us there for some emergency haha. i was just wondering about prime UWA since i thought primes were cheaper and figured if i was to get a 10-20mm i'd stick to the 10mm most of time hehe but if budget allows i'd definitely go for the sigma. being a student my budgets really really really limited hehe

btw finally uploaded some pics. this all i have so far. been fiddling with it every chance i get hehe. please do check them out here http://mariuo.multiply.com/photos/album/12/Nikon_D40x comments and suggestions would be much appreciated! hehe thanks for your welcome guys. looking forward to talking to you guys in the future hehe

Offline masarapangtaho

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 12:25:00 AM »
nice shots. the D40/x has forced vignette issues.. i think the UWA will be a great addition to your gear bro. just got a 55-200mm VR this weekend. hehe. goodluck on your trip!

Offline vic_6

• Board Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 12:24:44 PM »
migs: walang hiya ka may 55-200vr ka na???/

maruio: nice pics man! :)

i really suggest you get the 10-22. i got to try it again a few days ago and wow. it's really fun! and i doubt you'd use it at just 10mm. that's SUPER wide. having the 20 is good for more "normal" perspectives.

Offline mariuo

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2007, 11:37:09 PM »
dang the 55-200mm must cost an arm and a leg haha. lately i've been wondering how much fun it would be to have VR hehe. please do post pics

the vignetting's caused by our old foldable lens hood. i have this thing for lomos so i kinda like to pretend that its like it haha.

anywho ill post some more pics soon. maybe with a 10-22mm next time  :roll: haha

Offline masarapangtaho

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2007, 11:43:38 PM »
actually it just costs an eye.

seriously, got it from Mayer's 10k (+6% credit card charge) courtesy of Mang Ramon's good mood. pero i think i'll stick with my 18-70 pa rin + wide converter and use the zoom if the situation calls for one. hehe.

vic: lente na lang. wag na bass! hahaha. sunod ko na speedlight tapos 50mm f/1.8. sana makaipon by january.

*note: D40x sa Mayer's 29k na lang.. haha..